Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #11,176 of 13,139
I've got my friends pre fazor LCD-2 here and it's absolutely wonderful. The tone on the 2016 is all wrong, I just hate lean, grainy gear.

This pre fazor is just so chilled, smooth and effortless. It doesn't slam much but better than the current production abominations.

What I like about the pre fazor too is the driver material is better, it doesn't soak up those micro details like the current models.

I miss that lushness they had

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #11,177 of 13,139
Back to Audeze LCD-2f now and I have to admit that apart from the weight of the headphone, I much prefer the tone of the Audeze over the Senns. With vocals, I can listen all night long.... dang time to sleep. Working tomorrow !!!

I got the Carbon Fiber headband for my LCD-2f's. It's niiice. A touch lighter + better weight distribution = much more listenable for longer sessions.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #11,181 of 13,139
Yesterday I was listening mostly to the LCD-2. Today it's the HD800. :) I have a balanced Cardas cable for the 800. I find it has a good warm tonality for these rather analytical headphones.

Glad to know you're one of those who can appreciate both HD800 and LCD-2. Listening to HD800 now with my tube amp and the Forza cable; it's a great tone. In the right setup HD800 is great.

So now I have 2 loves. LCD-2f sounds lovely on my Ragnarok and Euforia amplification. Such a contrast but I like both presentation. Probably love the Audeze sound more. It's just more musical.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #11,182 of 13,139
^ any pictures?
Lohb strap.jpg

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #11,183 of 13,139
I've got my friends pre fazor LCD-2 here and it's absolutely wonderful. The tone on the 2016 is all wrong, I just hate lean, grainy gear.

This pre fazor is just so chilled, smooth and effortless. It doesn't slam much but better than the current production abominations.

What I like about the pre fazor too is the driver material is better, it doesn't soak up those micro details like the current models.

I miss that lushness they had

I see it this way: The fazors are dark chocolate while the pre-fazors are milk chocolate :ksc75smile:

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #11,184 of 13,139
Thanks Dave for the picture. What stands out there is the Pelican case. :)

I've seen the Carbon Fibre headband in the flesh. It is very nice and no doubt very comfortable and light. As good as it looks on this girl's head.

lcd42015-12-07_15-23-46.jpg

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #11,186 of 13,139
I see it this way: The fazors are dark chocolate while the pre-fazors are milk chocolate :ksc75smile:
I hate dark chocolate Haha

Nah maybe I was a little hard on the LCD-2F. I don't think it's a bad headphone in it's self, I think it's extremely overpriced.

I just don't like phones that have a lack of mid range bodyand a dryness. If Audeze brought back the pre fazor sound that would be my end game planar headphone. I think the Atticus is actually a better version of the LCD-2 with more present, engaging mids and a more powerful impactful sound.

I had my friends Eikon here too and that was a better headphone than the 2F but I actually prefer the pre fazor LCD-2 to the Eikon but not Atticus.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #11,187 of 13,139
I hate dark chocolate Haha

Nah maybe I was a little hard on the LCD-2F. I don't think it's a bad headphone in it's self, I think it's extremely overpriced.

I just don't like phones that have a lack of mid range bodyand a dryness. If Audeze brought back the pre fazor sound that would be my end game planar headphone. I think the Atticus is actually a better version of the LCD-2 with more present, engaging mids and a more powerful impactful sound.

I had my friends Eikon here too and that was a better headphone than the 2F but I actually prefer the pre fazor LCD-2 to the Eikon but not Atticus.

I went to a meet in Chicago around 6 months ago and the Atticus impressed me the most out of every headphone there. The room included the Utopia, Ether Flows, LCD-X, Eikon, etc. I do think that the price tag is a too high, as I was able to buy a Pre-fazor LCD-2 for just over $600. I believe the Atticus shouldn't be worth more than $700.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #11,188 of 13,139
I cannot agree with statements of the LCD-2 Fazor lacking mid-range weight. And, mine at least, is anything but dry. In fact, I've described it as "wet".

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #11,189 of 13,139
No LCD is particularly mid rangy they all have an upper mid recession. It also depends on which fazor. The 2016 use different driver materials to help with longevity and it made the sound much drier and leaner.

I've heard some 2014 Fazors that had a slightly warmer tone than the 2016 drivers. I'd never considered any of the previous Fazors particularly warm but certainly warmer than current production ones.

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #11,190 of 13,139
I cannot agree with statements of the LCD-2 Fazor lacking mid-range weight. And, mine at least, is anything but dry. In fact, I've described it as "wet".

I have only heard one version of LCD2 but I agree with your assessment. LCD-2f gets it tonally right for me. Very clear treble, engaging mids and 'wet' is a good description. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back