Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #7,382 of 13,139
  Hey all I was looking to upgrade from my Fidelio X1, I was thinking either the LCD-2 or HE-500, just looking for opinions. I want to have NO or as little sibilance as possible...I do hear that on my X1. I want to have bass and a large soundstage but better imaging/clarity and mids than the X1. I'm using an O2+ODAC. I listen to pop/rock and some edm.

You will get good quality bass from the LCD, but not as much bass quantity. It's not a basshead can. Never heard the HE-500 so I can't comment about that. The LCD doesn't have much soundstage either.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #7,383 of 13,139
  I'm sensible to sibilance and it is something you don't have with the LCD2 (unless you have a bad source/dac/amp).

A lot of what I've been listening to lately has had this problem with female vocals specifically. I'm going to have another listen to some of my older stuff and see if I have the same problem...my sources are all good flac rips, so it may be the master itself which I'm sad to say I wouldn't rule out.

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,384 of 13,139
  Hey all I was looking to upgrade from my Fidelio X1, I was thinking either the LCD-2 or HE-500, just looking for opinions. I want to have NO or as little sibilance as possible...I do hear that on my X1. I want to have bass and a large soundstage but better imaging/clarity and mids than the X1. I'm using an O2+ODAC. I listen to pop/rock and some edm.

I've had a chance to listen to the Fidelio X1, and quite liked them. 

While the LCD2 may not give you a 'larger' soundstage, you will get far more depth - especially in acoustic room reverb and instrument details. I've ran my LCD2 directly from an O2/ODAC and been able to compare it directly against the Fidelio X1. The LCD2 just pulls it off sonically. I wouldn't mind a touch more bass, and a bit brighter treble, but other than its great. The X1 is probably more comfortable in the long run. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #7,385 of 13,139
  I've had a chance to listen to the Fidelio X1, and quite liked them. 

While the LCD2 may not give you a 'larger' soundstage, you will get far more depth - especially in acoustic room reverb and instrument details. I've ran my LCD2 directly from an O2/ODAC and been able to compare it directly against the Fidelio X1. The LCD2 just pulls it off sonically. I wouldn't mind a touch more bass, and a bit brighter treble, but other than its great. The X1 is probably more comfortable in the long run. 

Did you find the X1 sibilant at all? How were the same tracks on the LCD2?

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #7,387 of 13,139
  Did you find the X1 sibilant at all? How were the same tracks on the LCD2?

I didn't spend enough time with the X1 to remark on that. In no way is the LCD2 sibilant. There is no odd ringing, or frequency boosts that would cause that. For me, it delivers pure unadulterated sound. 

If you are hearing sibilance with the LCD2, it is in the recording, and if it is in the recording you want to find another master of the music or just new music. You can find headphones that cover this up, but that isn't fidelity IMO. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #7,388 of 13,139
The only headphones or IEMs I keep are the ones that have NO sibiliance. I can't abide awful hiss/distortion on my symbols and female vocals. So you can rest easy knowing the LCD-2 carries no such blemish.

If you are interested, here are my current IEMs:

The Audio Technica IM03 is prone to a little sibilance. When I switched to wide-bore tips like the JVC Spiral Dots, it cleared up perfectly. Now it's a rich, warm, open and airy earphone that is always a joy to listen to.

My main in-ears are the Jerry Harvey Audio - Angie. On paper, she might seem like she'd be a little bright, having more BAs dedicated to treble than any other range. Yet she is not. All those drivers do is make dead certain those high frequencies are flawless and reasonably extended. She has fast, textured bass in as much or as little quantity as you desire. And the mids are quite simply perfect. Not lush, not dry, but terrifying in their realism.

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #7,393 of 13,139
Seems there is a new version of the LCD 2 in the works.  At the Audeze website and can only preorder an LCD 2 and receive emailed new product information as it becomes available.

Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back