Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #7,322 of 13,134
Yeah it's def the best one I've seen yet! No bias Haha.

One thing that bothers me and it prob shouldn't is in my wood finish I have a little debt or imperfection is this common with the wood?

MY OCD would have kick into OverDrive on this
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #7,324 of 13,134
Imperfections are one of the best parts of going with wood. It makes every unite unique.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #7,325 of 13,134
Can anyone describe to me, or link me to, experiences of going from the 400i to the LCD2? In particular, improvements you've noted and anything that you miss from the 400i's presentation?

I have both. Bass is better in quality and quantity on LCD-2. Treble is smoother too, though not necessarily better. Mids and soundstage are better on 400i.

The LCD-2 is pretty dark, much more so than the 400i. Depending on your musical tastes and what you want improved on from the 400i, this can be a good or bad thing.

Edit: I will say that so far, IMO the LCD-2 is not worth the upgrade in price (at least in my case with my preferences) unless you get a really great deal on one. I'd recommend trying and moving further up the ladder for a real noticeable improvement.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #7,326 of 13,134
I have both. Bass is better in quality and quantity on LCD-2. Treble is smoother too, though not necessarily better. Mids and soundstage are better on 400i.

The LCD-2 is pretty dark, much more so than the 400i. Depending on your musical tastes and what you want improved on from the 400i, this can be a good or bad thing.

What does dark mean in this context? It's a term I don't intuitively grasp.

I also have a TH-X00 if that's useful for comparison purposes.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #7,327 of 13,134
What does dark mean in this context? It's a term I don't intuitively grasp.

I also have a TH-X00 if that's useful for comparison purposes.

I have not heard the thx00 to compare. My definition of dark would be very warm sounding. The bass is felt to a greater degree, with smooth treble. A more laid back experience compared to the more neutral 400i.

You'll find people who have owned both on both sides of the aisle. Some will prefer these, while others prefer the LCD-2. They have different sound sigs IMO.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #7,328 of 13,134
I have not heard the thx00 to compare. My definition of dark would be very warm sounding. The bass is felt to a greater degree, with smooth treble. A more laid back experience compared to the more neutral 400i.

You'll find people who have owned both on both sides of the aisle. Some will prefer these, while others prefer the LCD-2. They have different sound sigs IMO.

So my guess is that if I'm generally a treble-head I'm well served by the 400i already. Thanks for the perspective!

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #7,330 of 13,134
I think it's important to clarify which LCD-2 revision we have when describing the tonal quailities of the LCD - 2. I have the LCD-2 F revision, November 2015 build date, and it is more a neutral sounding ear phone, at least when paired with the Mjolnir 2 hybrid and Gungnir Multi Bit. If you are buying a recently manufactured LCD-2 F it will sound different than the earlier ones. The addition of fazor and a recent build date will guarantee that.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,332 of 13,134
I think it's important to clarify which LCD-2 revision we have when describing the tonal quailities of the LCD - 2. I have the LCD-2 F revision, November 2015 build date, and it is more a neutral sounding ear phone, at least when paired with the Mjolnir 2 hybrid and Gungnir Multi Bit. If you are buying a recently manufactured LCD-2 F it will sound different than the earlier ones. The addition of fazor and a recent build date will guarantee that.

January 2016 build here. Compared to the 400i, it is a dark sounding headphone to me.

I'm whitewashing a bit, but I generally prefer a more forward mids presentation. AKG Q701 or Grado 325e is more likely to make me go "wow!" compared to the Senn HD-600 which sounds boring to me.

If your looking for an upgrade to your 400i, and like the signature, I'd recommend posting over in the he-560 thread for impressions. Supposedly has a more forward treble compared to the 400i.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,334 of 13,134
Can anyone describe to me, or link me to, experiences of going from the 400i to the LCD2? In particular, improvements you've noted and anything that you miss from the 400i's presentation?

Hey there,

I have had the HE-400i and now I have LCD 2 Fazor.

I see around here telling you that Audeze comments are darker, and that's not the case at all. Perhaps Fazor not be so, but just one of the improvements introduced Fazor was precisely transparency and treble extension.

The LCD 2 F have much more body. At low frequencies no comparison, the subs have an unknown depth in Hifiman. Severe have more punch, being more present. Media I can just say that has not been said before, they are the best means of market. They do not throw them in the face as do the LCD XC've had. At high frequencies it is where they are most similar. Both have sufficient length to show all the details, but nothing is dark. If it helps, I have AKG K-712 for comparison.

LCDs are more scene, I'd say it's like 3D, you can place each musician on stage. This is another advantage of Fazor.

And the last advantage of Fazor, also very important to me is that they are much easier to move than older ones. Any DAP or some powerful amp / DAC can move perfectly portable. And I tell you because I have a Fiio Q1 and power to spare. The old needed more than 1 Watt.

I hope I've helped.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #7,335 of 13,134
What. Have you owned either?

This a serious question? Why would I comment on something I've never owned? Yes of course I've owned both. I liked the sub bass better on the Audeze but that's about it. Micro detail, resolution, vocal accuracy, tone, coherency all went to the 650 for me. LCD-2 from the Lyr 2 and Chord Mojo and also many other amps ranging from 500-1000. 650 with the Bottlehead Crack, Lyr and Eddie Current BA won it out for me. I thought the 650 and LCD-2 are comparable with the 650 doing most things slightly better but the Sub bass, bass extension and texture was better on the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is a little drier to my ears

Interesting.

Based on this comparison it must suggest that the value and price point of the LCD2 is ridiculously out of sync to market prices for what they can competitively deliver in terms of performance, as they are 3 x the price of the Senn HD650 in the UK (£799 vs £250).

Yet the Company still manages to sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back