Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #5,596 of 13,139
  How long did they take to replace them and send them back to you? I had mine sent in to be replaced with Fazor drivers a couple of weeks ago. They quoted a 2-week timeframe so I'm hoping to get them back either later this week or early next week.

Thought FAZOR upgrades were dead a while back ?

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #5,599 of 13,139

At that time I requested do Fazor upgrade. Whether they change the whole driver or only add Fazor I'm not really sure.
And still no reply from them. 

How much did Audeze charge you for the upgrade?  If it's $400, then they probably replaced the drivers.  When one of my drivers broke, they said both drivers will have to be replaced (they need to match) and that is why it costs $400 (plus shipping). 

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #5,600 of 13,139
So I have a brand new pair of these coming in the mail tomorrow, I'm very excited but I'm a bit worried because I'm guessing I got the fazor version (since it's new). I've heard this lessens the warmth/darkness, which worries me. I've only tried a few high end headphones (all IEMs incidentally) before shelling out for this thing and it seems that my tastes tend much darker than what a lot of people seem to want (neutral). 

Anyone who has tried both, how big a difference is it? 

I'm seriously tempted to return the ones about to arrive and order some used non-fazor ones instead. 

A bit silly I guess since I haven't even tried it, but I absolutely do not enjoy the bright, borderline "tinny" sound at all, even if it comes with more detail etc.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #5,601 of 13,139
  How much did Audeze charge you for the upgrade?  If it's $400, then they probably replaced the drivers.  When one of my drivers broke, they said both drivers will have to be replaced (they need to match) and that is why it costs $400 (plus shipping). 

They charged me $250 for the Fazor upgrade so probably it was only the Fazor upgrade without changing the driver.
If this dead driver cost me $400 and then plus shipping (return), I'm not sure if this worth the value. Btw are they giving you warranty for driver replacement? If so how long is it?

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #5,602 of 13,139
So I have a brand new pair of these coming in the mail tomorrow, I'm very excited but I'm a bit worried because I'm guessing I got the fazor version (since it's new). I've heard this lessens the warmth/darkness, which worries me. I've only tried a few high end headphones (all IEMs incidentally) before shelling out for this thing and it seems that my tastes tend much darker than what a lot of people seem to want (neutral). 

I'm seriously tempted to return the ones about to arrive and order some used non-fazor ones instead. 

A bit silly I guess since I haven't even tried it, but I absolutely do not enjoy the bright, borderline "tinny" sound at all, even if it comes with more detail etc.

Hi there! It's a tough one since this is very subjective and even with the fazor revision I have read opinions that range from dark to bright.

Personally I have only heard the fazor version and to my ears they are not dark in any way. For me they are bang on neutral. Sooo... *if* you are after a "much darker" than neutral headphone and are not planning on doing some EQ or pairing with an amp that could help make them darker, these may not be for you -

However I would add that I in no way find them bright. I know exactly what you mean about that bright tinny thin sound and I too find that kind of sound very uncomfortable. I shared your same concerns when I was waiting for my LCD2Fs with all this talk of them losing their house sound. I'm happy to say my worries were unfounded. The treble detail is superb and there is such a juicy mid range that I would never describe them as tinny or lean.

If you're willing to have a listen and it's not totally inconvenient to consider sending them back it would still be worth having a go but I do think it would need to result in a shift in what kind of sound you are after rather than them fulfilling an expectation of being a particularly dark headphone.

I hope that helps. Give them a listen, you might be amazed.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #5,603 of 13,139

They charged me $250 for the Fazor upgrade so probably it was only the Fazor upgrade without changing the driver.
If this dead driver cost me $400 and then plus shipping (return), I'm not sure if this worth the value. Btw are they giving you warranty for driver replacement? If so how long is it?

I specifically asked them about the warranty.  Unfortunately, the new drivers do not have a new warranty.  Also, the serial number stays the same. 

As for the $400 cost, think of it this way: If you don't get it repaired, the headphones are useless and you lost whatever you paid for them.  If you get it repaired, you will have essentially new headphones.  Or if you want to go with another pair of headphones, you can sell it for about $700-750.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #5,604 of 13,139
  I specifically asked them about the warranty.  Unfortunately, the new drivers do not have a new warranty.  Also, the serial number stays the same. 

As for the $400 cost, think of it this way: If you don't get it repaired, the headphones are useless and you lost whatever you paid for them.  If you get it repaired, you will have essentially new headphones.  Or if you want to go with another pair of headphones, you can sell it for about $700-750.

Yes, but how old were they when the drivers failed? You need to add the $400 to the original cost, plus shipping. Once that is all added together if you sell for the $700-750 mark you are still taking a pretty big hit. I know gear fails, but that still sucks. But, what are you going to do right? There is always risk, but I know I would be quite disappointed if my expensive headphones failed just out of warranty. Frankly if they failed within a few months of warranty I would certainly expect the manufacturer to not charge the full cost of replacement to me. If they did I would be far less likely to reward them with my future business.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #5,606 of 13,139
I recently picked up a cable from Chris at Charleston Cable Company. It's very well made and sturdy. Very high quality for the price. I ordered it when I got the sour taste in my mouth from the ebay cable guy, and Chris's cable didn't cost much more, but it's clearly a better made cable. His attention to detail is impressive.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,607 of 13,139
  I recently picked up a cable from Chris at Charleston Cable Company. It's very well made and sturdy. Very high quality for the price. I ordered it when I got the sour taste in my mouth from the ebay cable guy, and Chris's cable didn't cost much more, but it's clearly a better made cable. His attention to detail is impressive.

Good to know, reasonable priced, quality cables are nice. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #5,608 of 13,139

I bothered myself over what the non-fazor version would sound like for about a week.  Once I stopped worrying and started listening, I started enjoying them a lot more.  They are still warm slightly south of neutral.  What impresses me is how versatile they are with whatever genre I throw at them, and I don't believe they would be so versatile if I had gotten a non-fazored version.  

I wouldn't describe them as bright, except when a song is VERY bright.  Try them for your return period and see if you like them first

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #5,609 of 13,139
I wouldn't call them bright under any circumstances.  YMMV

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #5,610 of 13,139

My honest advise is get the used non-Fazor and save the extra money for the higher models that has linear sub-bass (e.g., LCD-X). Wear the LCD-2.2 with your ears as far back as possible (cups/drivers as foreard as possible) so as not to inhibit treble. The difference this will create is substantial. Also, the difference between LCD-2 Fazor and non-fazor's sub-bass is substantial as well. My honest 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back