Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,186 of 13,134
No the 400i still has a mid-treble peak.  It's not as bothersome as the HE-400, but it's nowhere close to LCD2 in terms of quantity.

There's also an inherent 'thickness' to audeze headphones that will make hifimans sound thin coming after extensive listen.  Same is true the opposite way, with hifimans making the audeze sound unnecessarily thick.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #4,187 of 13,134

Both the pre and post Fazors sound absolutely fantastic and for my money beat everything else in their price range.  But as it always is with hifi, people strive for perfection and while it's not by leaps and bounds, the LCD2s can be outdone.  Having heard them I'm hoping some LCD3s are in my future but I can tell you that my LCD2s are easily keeping them at bay.      

After spending all that I did on LCD-2s I'm afraid to listen to anything else!  I don't want to be wowed by LCD-3s and then have an urge to spend even more lol. I can't see myself growing old of the LCD-2s anytime soon though.  

People are like "abstinence is the best form of birth control" Well, it's also the best way to avoid dumping even more money into audio 
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #4,188 of 13,134
Welp.

I'm a convert.

Macbook Pro -> Musical Fidelity V-DAC -> Schiit Lyr (stock tubes) -> LCD-2 = the happiest of SGD ears.

For the last year I've been saying I would never get anything that requires an amp. Then I went and got a desktop setup and thought (hey, might as well). These are exactly what my ears had been waiting for.

Glad you like them!

:beerchug:

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,192 of 13,134
  Yep. I just... yep.

Optical cable for the DAC/Amp coming in tomorrow. Now I look for an aftermarket cable for the LCD-2 itself, this one's got some stress and I'd rather have one ready than wait until it goes.

EDIT: what cable DO y'all like? I'm glancing at the Toxic cables, because I'm reallllllly not liking the look of $500+ cables. More like "what's a good product to replace an ailing cable?"

I bought a Headphone Lounge / FBI copper litz cable for my LCD 2s at the same time as I bought the silver litz for my SE846s. The sound characteristics are almost the same as the stock cable, but the cable is much lighter and more attractive (you can choose the sheathing colour or have no sheathing). Forgive the craptastic photos:

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4,195 of 13,134
Looking at a set of tubes too, haha. Gah this is gonna be expensive...

By the way, I found out that these are an absolutely AMAZING complement to the Shure SE846. They don't sound the exact same, obviously, but they have a similar enough signature that I'm not in that awkward position of hearing my music wildly differently depending on where I am, and I believe my enjoyment is nearly maximized for either situation. 

We talk "end game" a lot, and while I'm not foolish enough to say I'm at endgame now, I'll admit that this feels certainly closer. I have a sound I love and now I'm just starting to carefully etch it out.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,196 of 13,134
  Looking at a set of tubes too, haha. Gah this is gonna be expensive...

By the way, I found out that these are an absolutely AMAZING complement to the Shure SE846. They don't sound the exact same, obviously, but they have a similar enough signature that I'm not in that awkward position of hearing my music wildly differently depending on where I am, and I believe my enjoyment is nearly maximized for either situation. 

We talk "end game" a lot, and while I'm not foolish enough to say I'm at endgame now, I'll admit that this feels certainly closer. I have a sound I love and now I'm just starting to carefully etch it out.

I hear you! I bought the SE846s at the recommendation of the Head-Fier I bought my LCD-2s from.

For what it's worth, I have been in the happy position of being completely satisfied with my Bottlehead S.E.X. + LCD 2 and Bottlehead Mainline + Beyer T1 setups for quite some time now - my portable rig has been getting the upgrade-itis treatment instead
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #4,197 of 13,134
  I'm pre-fazor and while I have no doubts it's better... I don't know how. Like there's nothing missing here, haha. I'm seriously in awe.

I put them through my usual battery of tests, and I think the pair I had tried before was much less bass-heavy than the ones I received. The pair at HiDef sounded great, but the low bass just felt feeble. These do NOT have that issue. No, they don't have a place in the Basshead thread by any stretch, but they're not supposed to. What I have here is a set where nothing at the low end is lost. At all. 

I'm curious to know more about that, because I have an lcd2 pre fazor (from one year ago), and thats exactly how I feel about the bass. I tried the hd800s and he560 as like a counter sound signature, and they were good but too bright or hollow. but they both had way more slam and punch in the bass, so that even tho there was less quantity, and extension, music still sounded correct in the low end. where my lcd2 sounds like a drummer whose so exhausted he can hardly get any attack or punch out of the bass drum. it made these the bass light pair in comparison to those other two, which is weird to me considering all the impressions. I'm considering getting the fazor model now because I want a little bit more air, imaging, and hopefully punch. since thats what the fazors seem to do. But since you also seem to have a similar experience with that other pair, so is there like some very rare quality control thing?

Otherwise in the 1000 dollar and under price range I've run out of options that would meet what I like, and have a detachable cable so I can get a 4 pin balanced one.

The only interesting headphone is the new sony mdr z7 thats shipping within the next month, but my amp would be overkill for it, and there isnt enough info yet to know if it can match up in resolution and overall quality to an lcd2 fazor. so I dont really want to consider that as an option.

Anybody else have a similar experience with weak bass on a pre-fazor lcd2 from late 2013?

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #4,198 of 13,134
today is a sad day!

I had to send my LCD-2 into audeze for RMA to fix the bent yolk + peeling paint, and also my schiit lyr into schiit to have a relay put in it.

This sucks! I'll have to use my crappy speakers + earbuds for a week or so :/

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #4,199 of 13,134
Yikes! Sorry to hear. :frowning2: 

Another reason I try to have more than one thing kicking around. 

I have to admit, at least to MY ears, the Philips Fidelio X1 is a pretty solid low-price backup. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #4,200 of 13,134
  today is a sad day!

I had to send my LCD-2 into audeze for RMA to fix the bent yolk + peeling paint, and also my schiit lyr into schiit to have a relay put in it.

This sucks! I'll have to use my crappy speakers + earbuds for a week or so :/

It's a sad day when you're just out of warranty and that happens !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back