Audeze LCD 2 Foam Mod
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

maze

New Head-Fier
After reading all the great things about the LCD 2 headphones I'm contemplating purchase.  However the foam on the under-pad of the headband worries me as it looks like it will fray and start to chip off after some time.  Has anyone figured out a MOD to solve this problem?  Perhaps a leather strap stitched above the foam to secure it?  Any suggestions head fi community would be appreciated.
Thanks

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 13
Back in September when I first got my LCD-2, I had the same concern.  I ended up buying a piece of lambskin leather on eBay, which I was planning to use to stitch together a headband cover that would enwrap the entire headband (steel and foam).

However, when I got the LCD-2, I discovered that they were not for me, so I sold them.  I never ended up making the headband cover.

Just an idea for something you could try.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Since the foam in the headband isn't really problematic, there's no reason for people to mod it. There's no need to assume it will come apart, and if it does, then you can worry about modding it.

You aren't using any hair products, are you? No wax? And your hair doesn't get stuck in the foam either I guess?

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 13
I actually love the comfort of the headband... more than I can say about AKG or Denon headphones for example, who get the padding totally wrong IMO...

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 13
I doubt anyone has had them long enough for it to be an issue, but since the headband can be completely removed from the rest of the headphone I am willing to bet Audeze would sell you just that part for a reasonable price.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I doubt anyone has had them long enough for it to be an issue, but since the headband can be completely removed from the rest of the headphone I am willing to bet Audeze would sell you just that part for a reasonable price.

What's the point of replacing it with an identical part?
I really like the headband. But I would have preferred it to be covered with leather, so that I could lend it out without worrying that it would get dirty. That's a minor detail of course.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 13
The headband is more resilient than it appears, much more so even than the HD-800 headpad, so apart from the issue of cleaning, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
The headband is more resilient than it appears, much more so even than the HD-800 headpad, so apart from the issue of cleaning, I wouldn't worry about it.

The foam feels great. No doubt about it, in fact if I could choose, I'd go for a leather wrap that can be put on just for guests....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back