Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Apr 7, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #481 of 883
And wow -- looking at your profile, you have much more experience with quality headphones than I do! I've been into music (playing, listening or stereo gear) most of my life, but am relatively new to the mid-end or higher headphones. If you can audition a pair, I feel you'd be better off than taking my opinion haha. I try to be honest in my descriptions but have a hard time putting down how I feel about a piece of equipment succinctly on paper. If you see some of my older posts, you'll see that a lot of my comments are rambling and trying to find the correct words to describe what I mean and I don't want to be the reason someone passes on or purchases a piece of gear!

Hey, don't sell yourself short. Your impressions were thorough and clearly worded, you've filled out your profile so we know what context you're coming from, you didn't exaggerate things, and you've recognized that you (like all of us) are not some golden-eared superman, just someone giving their subjective opinions. You're the very sort of person that I do listen to. So, thanks again for your impressions. Truly.

:beerchug:

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #482 of 883
Hey, don't sell yourself short. Your impressions were thorough and clearly worded, you've filled out your profile so we know what context you're coming from, you didn't exaggerate things, and you've recognized that you (like all of us) are not some golden-eared superman, just someone giving their subjective opinions. You're the very sort of person that I do listen to. So, thanks again for your impressions. Truly.

:beerchug:
Wow, thanks a lot for the nice words. Audio is a fun and fulfilling hobby, but some people take it too seriously and forget what it's all about. Auditioning and buying new gear is really exciting, especially in the honeymoon phase. But it's about having the right tool for the job, ya know? Some people prefer a plane ol' wrench, some like a ratchet. But as long as it gets the job done!

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #483 of 883
I feel like a filthy cheater. Been listening to my LCD2CBs all day during work instead of my Grados to block out the family.

Really considering getting a Schitt Loki to tame just a tiny bit of midrange "shout", but for most music these are extremely great all-arounders! Surprised how neutral sounding they are, until you find a song with some deep bass and think there is some teenager with a couple 15's in his trunk outside rumbling. Crazy how the bass comes out of nowhere when it's called for.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #484 of 883
I feel like a filthy cheater. Been listening to my LCD2CBs all day during work instead of my Grados to block out the family.

Really considering getting a Schitt Loki to tame just a tiny bit of midrange "shout", but for most music these are extremely great all-arounders! Surprised how neutral sounding they are, until you find a song with some deep bass and think there is some teenager with a couple 15's in his trunk outside rumbling. Crazy how the bass comes out of nowhere when it's called for.

I can only recommend the Schiit Loki.
The way it alters the sound is very clean and it does not seem that overall SQ gets worse when using it. Unlike Software EQs which always noteably reduced some clarity from my ecperience.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #485 of 883
I can only recommend the Schiit Loki.
The way it alters the sound is very clean and it does not seem that overall SQ gets worse when using it. Unlike Software EQs which always noteably reduced some clarity from my ecperience.
I second integrating the Schiit Loki into a system. I can't detect any audible distortion while using it. When I had the LCD-2CB's it worked flawlessly to fix the troubled spots in the frequency range on them.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #486 of 883
Thanks for the info, guys. Re: Loki:

I've also yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it. They say it's extremely transparent and that the frequency bands selected (although seemingly arbitrary) work very well for most headphones & even HiFi setups.

I'd love to get one -- would be nice to add it before the Asgard 2 and then add a two way switch to pick which headphone I want to listen to. I just wish they still had black Lokis in stock!

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #487 of 883
Thanks for the info, guys. Re: Loki:

I've also yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it. They say it's extremely transparent and that the frequency bands selected (although seemingly arbitrary) work very well for most headphones & even HiFi setups.

I'd love to get one -- would be nice to add it before the Asgard 2 and then add a two way switch to pick which headphone I want to listen to. I just wish they still had black Lokis in stock!
Undortunately they only ever have black versions when the silver versions have some imperfections, so that they have to Paint it Black to Cover up.

Well guess that is the Trade off for the value for money you get at Schiit

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #488 of 883
Anyone here able to compare the LCD-2 CBs with the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00? I've seen conflicting reports about how the LCDs sound - some strangely polarized reports that these have a neutral-ish tuning or, conversely, that they represent the Audeze house sound. Has been difficult to puzzle out.

I'm a fan of the X00s until they hit above 40hz - I find their subbass extension a little thin - and below about 3k hz, at which point I find they become glassy and too sharp for my taste.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #489 of 883
Can anyone tell me how these compare with open Audeze models? I have only listened to the iSine series and the Sine closed model recently, so I'm not familiar with Audeze's open models. (I used to own these in the past. Sadly had to sell them).

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #490 of 883
I have way to much fun with my LCD2CBs and Monolith THX DAC/AMP. Nice and clean sounding, enough power to drive these things to ear bleeding levels and can tweak bass response if I really want too. I believe these and my Nighthawks will always be in my lineup since they are so different from every other headphone/IEM I've heard.

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #491 of 883
Can anyone tell me how these compare with open Audeze models? I have only listened to the iSine series and the Sine closed model recently, so I'm not familiar with Audeze's open models. (I used to own these in the past. Sadly had to sell them).
Compared to 2C..the 2CB are more extended in subs and treble and seem subjectively to have more bite/attack than the mellower 2c....(almost like using low gain and high gain with the same set of cans is the difference in attack).

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #493 of 883
Hmm. My wife still hasn't asked why I "haven't returned my review sample headphones" yet. Am I in the clear? Or should I be looking over my shoulder for a few months?

Maybe I should hide them under my desk for a few weeks...

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #494 of 883
Is there a notable increase in sound quality though?
I have a set of LCD-2Cs coming to test exactly this. My CB were my first foray into the +500 cans. Really enjoying them. Initially choose CB because apt and small child but realizing the listening room door closed is far enough away to try some opens. I really like these cans so far. Wide stage, plenty of bass, strong mids, and good treble. The one time I didnt care for what I heard was some hard thrash metal....may have been the recording .....which I typically don't do much of anymore

I am planning on doing some very specific A/B listening with Closed Backs Vs Classics and then sell the lesser.

Also waiting on an shift in my chain...going from Bifrost/Asgard to Gungnir /Mjolnir/Jot so will take some time to adjust and do justice to the differences and try tubes and whatnot.

Speaking of which, anyone here run these on tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back