Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #496 of 883
my best experience with the LCD2 was woo. WA7 v2 with upgraded tubes. It was perfect synergy. Note: it’s a hybrid SS/tube
Nice so is the Mjolnir!

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #498 of 883
The jot didn’t jive as well with my JOT as it did with the WA7....I had to part with my LCD2 and the WA7...

??? So the Jotunhiem didn't work well with the LCD-2 so you got rid of them and the WA7 am I reading that right?

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #499 of 883
Aug 3, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #500 of 883
Aug 3, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #501 of 883
Going to be comparing my LCD2CBs to lcdXs if they ever arrive in the mail. Should be a fun.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #502 of 883
Going to be comparing my LCD2CBs to lcdXs if they ever arrive in the mail. Should be a fun.

Excited to hear this one. The majority of the time, I still prefer my cocobolo Grados (maybe the open back or the lively presentation) but when I do switch to the LCD2CBs, I can't help but smile. They truly are an amazing headphone and I am very interested in seeing how they compare to Audeze's open backs!

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #503 of 883
Excited to hear this one. The majority of the time, I still prefer my cocobolo Grados (maybe the open back or the lively presentation) but when I do switch to the LCD2CBs, I can't help but smile. They truly are an amazing headphone and I am very interested in seeing how they compare to Audeze's open backs!

I love how the CBs can be so visceral with their presentation and supposedly the CBs are close to the sound sig of the Xs minus some detail and a little less in your face bass. So I'm really excited to try them out.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #504 of 883
I first got Audeze LCD2CB as I was in an office environment where I needed a sealed headphone. I do think they are great headphones for that. I find they have some good extension in both bass and treble. They may be a bit recessed in upper mids: so some will view as dark (and some may view it a bit veiled with acoustic music). I did find them pretty resolving with one of the albums think can be demanding (for me, Rome: Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi with Jack White and Norah Jones....nice bass notes, yet also acoustic vocals). Since then, I've also gotten the LCD-2f. I think it does have a bit better balance with that upper mids....but it is open, and the CB are a different application: When just listening to it, it's cohesive and I think the smooth mids are good for a lot of genres: including my main ones of alternative, classical, jazz, and electronic.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #505 of 883
In terms of technicalities, the LCD-2 Closed Back (CB) trumps the LCD-XC. The XC has a distinctly unique signature that others might be uncomfortable with - that dip in the lower midrange causes male vocals to lose a lot of prominence and gravitas. The LCD-2 CB, on the other hand, presents a relatively linear sound signature, with more defined resolving capabilities. I am enjoying the LCD-2 CB a lot more, these days.

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #506 of 883
In terms of technicalities, the LCD-2 Closed Back (CB) trumps the LCD-XC. The XC has a distinctly unique signature that others might be uncomfortable with - that dip in the lower midrange causes male vocals to lose a lot of prominence and gravitas. The LCD-2 CB, on the other hand, presents a relatively linear sound signature, with more defined resolving capabilities. I am enjoying the LCD-2 CB a lot more, these days.

See, and this is where I get frustrated with a lot of the headphone community. A lot of people just stick with what is safe -- All the 20x variations of the Senn HD-5XX, 6XX, even the 800/s/820. Even Audeze gets pretty universal praise. But I really dislike that so many discount and discredit Grados (and if I had to guess -- many of them have never spent the same amount of time or effort swapping amps/dacs/sources as they do with Senns). I know a lot of people follow people like Tyll and Z-reviews etc. and that they are usually pretty good content and details. But If you guys like the LCD2 CB, I think you'd really like the Grado GH2 and the HF3. Of course the tuning is different (open back, woody vs closed and composite material). Of course the dynamics and bass are different (dynamic drivers ~2inches vs almost 5inch planar driver). But where I still prefer the GH2 over LCD2 CB is a sense of realism and comfort. It's more involving, slightly looser bass and bumpier FR graph be damned.

Some of the comparisons in this thread citing how the LCD2 CB are better than similar cans in the same class are the same reason I like my Grados so much. I wish people would just go out on a whim and give them a real shot.

/Rant over

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #507 of 883
:floatsmile:up
See, and this is where I get frustrated with a lot of the headphone community. A lot of people just stick with what is safe -- All the 20x variations of the Senn HD-5XX, 6XX, even the 800/s/820. Even Audeze gets pretty universal praise. But I really dislike that so many discount and discredit Grados (and if I had to guess -- many of them have never spent the same amount of time or effort swapping amps/dacs/sources as they do with Senns). I know a lot of people follow people like Tyll and Z-reviews etc. and that they are usually pretty good content and details. But If you guys like the LCD2 CB, I think you'd really like the Grado GH2 and the HF3. Of course the tuning is different (open back, woody vs closed and composite material). Of course the dynamics and bass are different (dynamic drivers ~2inches vs almost 5inch planar driver). But where I still prefer the GH2 over LCD2 CB is a sense of realism and comfort. It's more involving, slightly looser bass and bumpier FR graph be damned.

Some of the comparisons in this thread citing how the LCD2 CB are better than similar cans in the same class are the same reason I like my Grados so much. I wish people would just go out on a whim and give them a real shot.

/Rant over
Never have tried a set of Senns.....maybe if I can grab a set of 6xx or 58x around 100. I haven't heard of Grados prior to finding headfi via Zeos forum.....also love wood (ordered myself a set of Hyland Jupiter Ones- he started with Grados drivers) may have to try out a set now.....as I understand they have a following of super devoted peeps. How do they do with tube/ tubehybrid Amos?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #508 of 883

/Rant over
I think people stick with the tried-and-tested favorites due to their inability to actually audition the myriad options available on the market; hence, they go with the recommended options. Personally, I would never buy something that I haven't tried myself, but I guess I am fortunate enough to have access to almost every prominent headphone and/or IEM in the contemporary space. For those who aren't so lucky, they have only reviews and established opinions to base their decision upon.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #509 of 883
I think people stick with the tried-and-tested favorites due to their inability to actually audition the myriad options available on the market; hence, they go with the recommended options. Personally, I would never buy something that I haven't tried myself, but I guess I am fortunate enough to have access to almost every prominent headphone and/or IEM in the contemporary space. For those who aren't so lucky, they have only reviews and established opinions to base their decision upon.
I find that purchasing without trying is adding another layer to the puzzle and makes finding the gems that much more enjoyable........I also buy all my stuff second hand so won't lose out as much with resale and the research is kinda fun too. You get to learn how others (reviewers) hear which I feel sped up my understanding and helps me refine my ideas about what I want to hear.

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #510 of 883
....I also buy all my stuff second hand so won't lose out as much with resale and the research is kinda fun too. You get to learn how others (reviewers) hear which I feel sped up my understanding and helps me refine my ideas about what I want to hear.

Same here, I still paid less than $100 off cost for the GH2s used just because they have almost nearly universal praise and they're a limited edition, but I got these amazing LCD2 CBs for just over half price! Hell of a bargain that I would pay again if something happened to them. And your process matches mine. Research for weeks and learn how certain reviewers or even posters on here lean with their preferences and kind of use that to "delta" from what you like.

The only headphones I've bought brand new were a pair of Senn HD280 Pros with a gift-card and the Grado GW100s online. Both have served me well, also (probably because I researched them a lot!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back