Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Jul 13, 2018 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 883

Ishcabible

Headphoneus Supremus
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-closed-back

Audeze has made a closed version of their LCD-2. I've spent the past couple days with them and an LCD-2C:

hd471Gw.jpg

EDIT: This unit seemed to have the wrong damping material. Ignore these impressions for now.

The thing that sticks out the most is low midrange suck out. Male vocals, especially gravely male vocals, lose so much of their body and character because of this. The treble isn’t incredibly recessed or accentuated but does sound kind of uneven. The midrange is very shouty at around 2kHz. Not quite Grado levels, but I can definitely see people finding these uncomfortable.

The bass sticks out as the most prominent part of these headphones. It’s really elevated. Like, if I listen loudly they’ll rumble. It’s fun, but it’s not the most articulate. There is a sub preference rather than a mid bass emphasis. I could see these being awesome for movies…if the low midrange suck out doesn’t bother you.

Compared to the LCD-2C, these sound much less plasticky. They’re smoother overall, despite the shout around 2kHz. They’re much bassier but also less distant. They actually don’t share too many similarities sound-wise. They go for completely different things—these are meant to be exciting while the LCD-2C sounds more relaxing.

I've taken some measurements with an EARS here:
xDD3Z1H.png

I'll have a full review up on headphone.com in the coming weeks with measurements taken with a Brüel & Kjær 4128C HATS.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 883
One problem I have with the LCD-2C is that the upper midrange and lower treble sound rather sucked-out unless you listen at a higher volume. I'm assuming (by your comments and the measurements) that this closed version turns that on it's head?

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 883
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-closed-back

Audeze has made a closed version of their LCD-2. I've spent the past couple days with them and an LCD-2C:

hd471Gw.jpg

The thing that sticks out the most is low midrange suck out. Male vocals, especially gravely male vocals, lose so much of their body and character because of this. The treble isn’t incredibly recessed or accentuated but does sound kind of uneven. The midrange is very shouty at around 2kHz. Not quite Grado levels, but I can definitely see people finding these uncomfortable.

The bass sticks out as the most prominent part of these headphones. It’s really elevated. Like, if I listen loudly they’ll rumble. It’s fun, but it’s not the most articulate. There is a sub preference rather than a mid bass emphasis. I could see these being awesome for movies…if the low midrange suck out doesn’t bother you.

Compared to the LCD-2C, these sound much less plasticky. They’re smoother overall, despite the shout around 2kHz. They’re much bassier but also less distant. They actually don’t share too many similarities sound-wise. They go for completely different things—these are meant to be exciting while the LCD-2C sounds more relaxing.

I've taken some measurements with an EARS here:
xDD3Z1H.png

I'll have a full review up on headphone.com in the coming weeks with measurements taken with a Brüel & Kjær 4128C HATS.
Seems like an excellent cans. Might go these instead of fostex.

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 883
I assume it is also lighter than the XC, like the LCD-2C?

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 883
One problem I have with the LCD-2C is that the upper midrange and lower treble sound rather sucked-out unless you listen at a higher volume. I'm assuming (by your comments and the measurements) that this closed version turns that on it's head?

Kind of. The 3-5k region still does sound sucked out though, and the shout prevents me from wanting to turn them up too loudly.

I assume it is also lighter than the XC, like the LCD-2C?

I haven’t held an XC in a long time but I would be surprised if that were not the case.

very similar to the XC but with more bass

I believe those are solderdude’s measurements and if that’s the case I’d hesitate comparing too closely since we have very different systems. He uses a flat plate while I use an EARS which output very different results. For example:

LCD-2 Closed in a flat plate:
199E342D-1854-4680-87EC-4E34EF0ECEC5.jpeg

The same LCD-2 Closed with my EARS:
47ACA9CD-4EF7-4426-BED2-B2A3DCDE1AA4.png

You can get pretty general comparisons, but the finer details aren’t the same. As you can see, even on my own flat plate coupler, the LCD has less bass than the EARS. There are a number of different variables to consider when comparing between the two, especially since we use different compensation curves.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 883
Cant wait for a review on thes! Specialy a compare vs closed and open also against the X model

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 883
Kind of. The 3-5k region still does sound sucked out though, and the shout prevents me from wanting to turn them up too loudly.

I haven’t held an XC in a long time but I would be surprised if that were not the case.

I believe those are solderdude’s measurements and if that’s the case I’d hesitate comparing too closely since we have very different systems. He uses a flat plate while I use an EARS which output very different results. For example:

LCD-2 Closed in a flat plate:

The same LCD-2 Closed with my EARS:

You can get pretty general comparisons, but the finer details aren’t the same. As you can see, even on my own flat plate coupler, the LCD has less bass than the EARS. There are a number of different variables to consider when comparing between the two, especially since we use different compensation curves.

@Ishcabible: Thanks for your measurements and initial review of LCD-2 Closed back. We found that some of the initial samples were shipped with the wrong damping cloth due to an unfortunate production error, this would explain the bad measurements int he mids. Please contact the dealer you got your sample from so that it can be replaced and I look forward to your updated measurements and review.

I typically do not post measurements, but in this case I feel the measurements would help especially when it can be compared to LCD-2C. Here is the measurements from the correct production sample. The measurements were made on GRAS Kemar HATS. These are raw measurements without any compensation. The Pink trace is LCD-2 Closed, Blue is LCD-2C (classic), red is measurement from another closed back planar not made by Audeze.

We tuned LCD-2 closed to sound as close to neutral as possible within the constraints of being a closed back.

LCD-2C vs LCD-2CC vs Another Closed.jpg

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 883
@Ishcabible: Thanks for your measurements and initial review of LCD-2 Closed back. We found that some of the initial samples were shipped with the wrong damping cloth due to an unfortunate production error, this would explain the bad measurements int he mids. Please contact the dealer you got your sample from so that it can be replaced and I look forward to your updated measurements and review.

I typically do not post measurements, but in this case I feel the measurements would help especially when it can be compared to LCD-2C. Here is the measurements from the correct production sample. The measurements were made on GRAS Kemar HATS. These are raw measurements without any compensation. The Pink trace is LCD-2 Closed, Blue is LCD-2C (classic), red is measurement from another closed back planar not made by Audeze.

We tuned LCD-2 closed to sound as close to neutral as possible within the constraints of being a closed back.

Thanks for letting me know! They'll go back tomorrow in that case.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 883
I just ordered a pair, how will I know if it's one of the faulty pairs? I neither have a fancy measuring machine, or super trained ears.
This issue affects only a few samples that were initially shipped to dealers. If you ordered directly from our website, you will get the correct pair. If you ordered from a dealer, please contact the dealer.

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 883

Umm you saying the closed back version. Is tuned for neutrality ? Do they have less bass and warmth and musicality than the open ones?

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #15 of 883
Umm you saying the closed back version. Is tuned for neutrality ? Do they have less bass and warmth and musicality than the open ones?

I can answer this more accurately when I have a new pair!

Also, I’ll try to get my hands on an LCD-X. I know a few people with a pair and I’ll see if I can borrow one for a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back