Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #466 of 883
OK thanks I understand now. I have never experienced that so still don't know what it would sound like, but I just tried to reproduce it with my LCD2-CB. Nothing happens when I just move my head around. If I press it towards my ears, I hear the ear cups compressing. I can't tell if some of that sound is also the crinkling of the drivers, but I don't think so. I live about 400 miles the north of Audeze HQ, in a similarly dry climate that probably varies even less in temperature and humidity. That Audeze article says age and climate may make planars more easily damaged during handling. That's a scary thought.

I talked with two official Audeze resellers and both says that absolutely normal for planars. So, let's enjoying cans while warranty is available :wink:

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #468 of 883
Has anyone compared these to the Z1R?
Z1R > LCD2C(new classic)
I found there was more clarity with the Z1R, but the LCD2C had nice punch as to be expected from a planar.

Z1R was smoother, better width and accuracy of sounds. its lighter and scales better with amps. also, better quality control and consistency with drivers. comes with nice stuff too, check unboxing videos.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #470 of 883
2CB unique serial located on the cans also ? Thought my 2Cs before had the serial on the headband before but not 100% sure.

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #471 of 883
I just don't know whether should I get open or closed LCD-2... I prefer the open version because of weight. No chance to test the sound leakage. I will listen alone in my room with the doors closed. Will the people in another room or behind the closed door hear what I'm listening to?

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #472 of 883
I mean the open are fully open so they will leak the same about of sound on the outside as you are hearing on the inside. If you listen loud, and I was in the same room I would be able to also listen to what you’re listing to, it’s not muted. But I don’t think you would be able to hear from another room behind a closed door. Especially if you’re just listening at a reasonable level. I have a video of sound leakage on the open backs but I can’t send it here. If you PM me I can try and send it to you.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #473 of 883
I mean the open are fully open so they will leak the same about of sound on the outside as you are hearing on the inside. If you listen loud, and I was in the same room I would be able to also listen to what you’re listing to, it’s not muted. But I don’t think you would be able to hear from another room behind a closed door. Especially if you’re just listening at a reasonable level. I have a video of sound leakage on the open backs but I can’t send it here. If you PM me I can try and send it to you.

Thanks to @elChefe above, I am now the proud owner of these beautiful cans!

My trusty Grado GH2s are dwarfed by Audeze nuts (sorry, couldn't resist):
LCD2c_Closed&GH2.jpg

Yes, there is some perspective effect going on. The LCD2s ARE much bigger, but the pic kind of exaggerates it. And yes, I know I need to bust out the Sharpie paint-pen on the Grado grills..

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #474 of 883
Thanks to @elChefe above, I am now the proud owner of these beautiful cans!

My trusty Grado GH2s are dwarfed by Audeze nuts (sorry, couldn't resist):
LCD2c_Closed&GH2.jpg

Yes, there is some perspective effect going on. The LCD2s ARE much bigger, but the pic kind of exaggerates it. And yes, I know I need to bust out the Sharpie paint-pen on the Grado grills..

So, what do you think of them? Can we expect a name change to ParaLoganAudeze?

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #475 of 883

Haha, not likely -- too much work! Both cans are awesome in their own right and play better with different types of music.

Apr 7, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #477 of 883

Sorry -- I never really answered your question about what I think of them. First a bit about where I'm coming from, then more details about how they sound (to me!)

First couple of times of litening to the LCD2 Closed I wasn't too impressed. I know it's a very controversial opinion (just like politics), but I love the three Grados I've heard (two of which I bought and have thousands of hours on each). I agree that their house sound tends to lean towards thin or "lumpy" bass, usually a weak low bass with a boosted mid bass that can bleed into the mids themselves. And that they can have a shouter upper mid or lower treble. But the GH2s are the first can that gave me a sense of listening to a decent hifi system (sans the realistically WIDE soundstage and the physical rumbling of bass in your chest and the floor / couch). The peaks on the GH2s are much milder than a lot of the low to mid end Grados that some people have heard and written off the entire brand because that's what a lot of people in the head-fi community do! What I love about them is the airy, open sound that beats the Senn HD-580 and all of the HD-600 series to me. They are a bit more in your face due to the mid emphasis but have great instrument separation and more bass extension than what I think a lot of people assume. So enough about the GH2, I just wanted to give you a reference for what my ears are used to and my preferred "tuning".

So after having them since Saturday and putting probably 30+ hours on them while working, a few things changed. My ears can now resolve the tuning differences better, for better and worse. For instance, I still immediately notice the cans are closed back. Not because they lack "width" or sound bad, but because the enclosure has inevitable reflections in the midrange that causes a coloration that I don't think is possible to completely hide. But it doesn't bother me as much as it first did, and doesn't really bother me anymore because of the sharp attack and dynamics these have. I will say, these are much "flatter" and more neutral than I expected. I expected to be blown away with the bass due to Adeze's reputation (and planars in general), but it's done in a tasteful, non invasive way. For some songs the Grados sound bassier and more closely match my floor standing speakers downstairs until I turn the 30Hz slider up on VLC when listening to the LCD2-CBs. At that point, I can feel air escaping around the pads and see my vision distorting from my glasses slightly vibrating lol. Point being, the bass isn't artificial or boosted -- it's just there on tap when you demand it and I love that about them!

I also love the surprising soundstage these have. They may not beat other higher end open-backs, but it's fun to hear ambient noises in recordings and pause the music because you think a bug is in the room or your kid is playing with your miscellaneous WIP electronic projects laying on the floor. As a mentioned to someone else, the width of the stage is great but there is a bit of a haze in resolving the precise location of the instruments compared to the GH2s. It's like taking a TV and using a large magnifying glass just SLIGHTLY out of focus to make it appear larger, but not actually increasing details (if that makes sense!)

I'll say they are super fun and great to listen to -- especially for electronic music and some very well recorded rock with a punchy kick drum. I haven't been able to narrow down which characteristics of music make one pair my preference over the other. It's not directly related to genre or band. Neither can sounds good with poorly recording music, but sometimes one is more forgiving than the other. Which is why I'll keep both pairs and be very happy to do so!

I guess it sounds critical, but really I am thoroughly enjoying them. It's an adjustment period and I tend to over analyze stuff, comparing to other references. I can't pick which one is "better" or my favorite yet -- it's been too soon! But I'll admit, I find myself reaching for these first thing in the morning over the Grados for the time being.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #478 of 883
Sorry -- I never really answered your question about what I think of them. First a bit about where I'm coming from, then more details about how they sound (to me!)

First couple of times of litening to the LCD2 Closed I wasn't too impressed. I know it's a very controversial opinion (just like politics), but I love the three Grados I've heard (two of which I bought and have thousands of hours on each). I agree that their house sound tends to lean towards thin or "lumpy" bass, usually a weak low bass with a boosted mid bass that can bleed into the mids themselves. And that they can have a shouter upper mid or lower treble. But the GH2s are the first can that gave me a sense of listening to a decent hifi system (sans the realistically WIDE soundstage and the physical rumbling of bass in your chest and the floor / couch). The peaks on the GH2s are much milder than a lot of the low to mid end Grados that some people have heard and written off the entire brand because that's what a lot of people in the head-fi community do! What I love about them is the airy, open sound that beats the Senn HD-580 and all of the HD-600 series to me. They are a bit more in your face due to the mid emphasis but have great instrument separation and more bass extension than what I think a lot of people assume. So enough about the GH2, I just wanted to give you a reference for what my ears are used to and my preferred "tuning".

So after having them since Saturday and putting probably 30+ hours on them while working, a few things changed. My ears can now resolve the tuning differences better, for better and worse. For instance, I still immediately notice the cans are closed back. Not because they lack "width" or sound bad, but because the enclosure has inevitable reflections in the midrange that causes a coloration that I don't think is possible to completely hide. But it doesn't bother me as much as it first did, and doesn't really bother me anymore because of the sharp attack and dynamics these have. I will say, these are much "flatter" and more neutral than I expected. I expected to be blown away with the bass due to Adeze's reputation (and planars in general), but it's done in a tasteful, non invasive way. For some songs the Grados sound bassier and more closely match my floor standing speakers downstairs until I turn the 30Hz slider up on VLC when listening to the LCD2-CBs. At that point, I can feel air escaping around the pads and see my vision distorting from my glasses slightly vibrating lol. Point being, the bass isn't artificial or boosted -- it's just there on tap when you demand it and I love that about them!

I also love the surprising soundstage these have. They may not beat other higher end open-backs, but it's fun to hear ambient noises in recordings and pause the music because you think a bug is in the room or your kid is playing with your miscellaneous WIP electronic projects laying on the floor. As a mentioned to someone else, the width of the stage is great but there is a bit of a haze in resolving the precise location of the instruments compared to the GH2s. It's like taking a TV and using a large magnifying glass just SLIGHTLY out of focus to make it appear larger, but not actually increasing details (if that makes sense!)

I'll say they are super fun and great to listen to -- especially for electronic music and some very well recorded rock with a punchy kick drum. I haven't been able to narrow down which characteristics of music make one pair my preference over the other. It's not directly related to genre or band. Neither can sounds good with poorly recording music, but sometimes one is more forgiving than the other. Which is why I'll keep both pairs and be very happy to do so!

I guess it sounds critical, but really I am thoroughly enjoying them. It's an adjustment period and I tend to over analyze stuff, comparing to other references. I can't pick which one is "better" or my favorite yet -- it's been too soon! But I'll admit, I find myself reaching for these first thing in the morning over the Grados for the time being.

Worth the wait! Thanks! You touched on the one thing that has me concerned: the mids. I hadn't really thought timbre was that crucial for a long time, but after owning the Auteur, with its perfect mids, my taste has started to shift. Now I'm not sure I can go back. What's the coloration of the mids on the 2CB like? Any comparisons you can make about that?

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #479 of 883
Worth the wait! Thanks! You touched on the one thing that has me concerned: the mids. I hadn't really thought timbre was that crucial for a long time, but after owning the Auteur, with its perfect mids, my taste has started to shift. Now I'm not sure I can go back. What's the coloration of the mids on the 2CB like? Any comparisons you can make about that?

I wouldn't say they're colored in a frequency response matter. I think it's more of an effect of added reflections or resonance. It's by no means a major detriment. Just something that you notice after only listening to open back cans for over a year. Seriously, I can't deduct a point for this because I purchased the closed back version specifically for isolation and the "closed back" sound I'm talking about is way less than I expected. There is some good damping and tuning in these (as you can tell by the weight lol) for sure!

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #480 of 883

And wow -- looking at your profile, you have much more experience with quality headphones than I do! I've been into music (playing, listening or stereo gear) most of my life, but am relatively new to the mid-end or higher headphones. If you can audition a pair, I feel you'd be better off than taking my opinion haha. I try to be honest in my descriptions but have a hard time putting down how I feel about a piece of equipment succinctly on paper. If you see some of my older posts, you'll see that a lot of my comments are rambling and trying to find the correct words to describe what I mean and I don't want to be the reason someone passes on or purchases a piece of gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back