Audeze LCD-1
Oct 22, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #226 of 1,085
What I get most excited about when something like this comes along is the low price (in modern headphone pricing terms) and the opportunity to re-examine the price to performance ratio of headphones in general. Often we spend a lot of loot for a ticket to paradise when we are just a couple of steps away. It's almost like a reset.

I was waiting for this to happen for a long time but I was rather expecting it coming from one of the historical headphone manufacturers. Planars have been the favored technology of newcoming brands over the last 10 years, as it was an opportunity for them to change the high-end market and compete with electrostatics, but they're still all relatively young & still-growing companies. I would have expected Sennheiser or Bayer to jump on the planar bandwagon and cut the costs at some point, but I guess Audeze is in the best position at this point.

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #227 of 1,085
There seems to be quite a bit of tricke-down happening in terms of planar tech lately to price points that are far more achievable for the average person in this hobby, which is really exciting to see. I haven't been in this hobby as long as some of you guys, but as far as I can tell, headphones have advanced at an unusual pace as far as audio products go in the last 5 years.
Yes, the trickle-down' goes back to 1994, as an example. Joe Grado had his HP-1, 2 and 3 (which retailed for $595, $495 and $395 IIRC) out for about three years, then he came out with the SR60 and 80, which retailed for $69 and $99. These featured a family resemblance, less refined but much less expensive option for the HP-1000 sound. Some reviews claimed that they got you 80% of the way to the HP1000 sound. So the expensive models made a good "set-up" to sell buckets of the much less expensive models. Smart marketing.

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #228 of 1,085
It makes me wonder if Sennheiser will make a planar magnetic to strife Audeze amidst this Planar Craze.

Take One:
"Introducing: The Sennheiser P1- Oh wait! That name is taken!"

Take Two:
"Introducing: The Sennheiser HD600v2-'
'Couldn't you have come with a better name?'
'...'"

Take Three:
"Introducing: Orpheus Jr.'
'Is it electrostatic?'
'It's planar magnetic.'
'But isn't Orpheus coloured? And aren't you taking Hifiman's path?'
'...'"

Take Four:
"Introducing: The Sennheiser Planar. A self-explanatory headphone with a most creative name that falls as flat as its frequency response."

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #229 of 1,085
Could be Sennheiser OD-1. :)

How many of non head-fiers/hi-fiers/audiophiles do know the term "orthodynamic"?

I doubt Sennheiser has to deal with. Like BD or Focal hasn't to.
DD's have their own flavour, which is good at this point.
I'm glad that nothing sounds like the same.
The more to explore. :beyersmile:

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #230 of 1,085
I admit that I have a weakness for exclusive and expensive electronics. The success of these small companies over the last 5 to 10 years, like Audeze or others, has spurred technological progress and has made the hearts of many audiophile enthusiasts beat faster.
With the Lcd1, Audeze is trying to gain larger market shares in more attractive market segments. You forget a fact that expensive headphones (+500€/$) are niche products. The unit numbers are low in comparison to mass products.
I hope Audeze remains an exclusive manufacturer and will not be a manufacturer like Bose.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #231 of 1,085
Could be Sennheiser OD-1. :)

How many of non head-fiers/hi-fiers/audiophiles do know the term "orthodynamic"?

I doubt Sennheiser has to deal with. Like BD or Focal hasn't to.
DD's have their own flavour, which is good at this point.
I'm glad that nothing sounds like the same.
The more to explore. :beyersmile:

Darn, I keep forgetting that term!

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #232 of 1,085
God I'm desperate to try these out, been umming and ahhing over the LCD-2c for ages now but was put off by the weight, darker sound, and price! Most importantly been wanting to pair an Audeze headphone with my Audeze Deckard HP Amp, not to gain synergy or anything, purely to have them match! Hope these will be a good upgrade over my K712's.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #233 of 1,085
God I'm desperate to try these out, been umming and ahhing over the LCD-2c for ages now but was put off by the weight, darker sound, and price! Most importantly been wanting to pair an Audeze headphone with my Audeze Deckard HP Amp, not to gain synergy or anything, purely to have them match! Hope these will be a good upgrade over my K712's.

I suspect you will find the soundstage substantially smaller on the LCD-1 than the K712, but I’d also wager that if you’re looking for a more neutral FR, the LCD-1 will easily best the K712. I love my K712 for what they are but I can’t wait to hear the LCD-1.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #234 of 1,085
It makes me wonder if Sennheiser will make a planar magnetic to strife Audeze amidst this Planar Craze.

Take One:
"Introducing: The Sennheiser P1- Oh wait! That name is taken!"

Take Two:
"Introducing: The Sennheiser HD600v2-'
'Couldn't you have come with a better name?'
'...'"

Take Three:
"Introducing: Orpheus Jr.'
'Is it electrostatic?'
'It's planar magnetic.'
'But isn't Orpheus coloured? And aren't you taking Hifiman's path?'
'...'"

Take Four:
"Introducing: The Sennheiser Planar. A self-explanatory headphone with a most creative name that falls as flat as its frequency response."
Hopefully this forces Sennheiser to make a move, as it's bound to cut into their market share at least a little. I don't know a single person who doesn't want something like an HD 580 made into a planar with better bass extension and the soundstage and detail of the HD 800. Come on Germany. You can do it.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #235 of 1,085
Hopefully this forces Sennheiser to make a move, as it's bound to cut into their market share at least a little. I don't know a single person who doesn't want something like an HD 580 made into a planar with better bass extension and the soundstage and detail of the HD 800. Come on Germany. You can do it.

Sennheiser is generally slower then a herd of Turtles when it comes to "new models", and 3rd Generation tweeks of previously created.
See, here is the thing. Say a company has levels of similar products for 30 yrs, and they have some "best sellers". Well, they have to tip-toe and not create within their own product line something that will ruin a best seller.

it took Sennheiser a long time create the HD600, then the 650, then the 660, because they are oh so careful about not ruining a good thing going on.
Also, a Planar does not sound like a Dynamic, so, its not really possible to make a HD600 - HD660 "Planar" that is their family member in sound.
But they could make a Planer and call it something else, ...... but will they ever?
I guess we have to ask the Turtles about that...
As for me, Im really glad that Audeze decided to make a $399 Planar that they say is "Reference", as what could be better if its all they state.
Today i was listening to my LCD-X's and as always, i really like them..
Hope the LCD-1, is similar in sound, as that would make me really happy.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #236 of 1,085

Already exists- except without the bass.
It's called "MySphere 3.2". Best Mids this side of time!

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #237 of 1,085

Maybe a collaboration with Rinaro will seal the deal. :)
Looking forward to.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #238 of 1,085
... If you buy a $299 - $2999 set of Headphones, that are created in the last 2 yrs, it would be very difficult to prove that they are "bad". ...
The quality of headphones and related audio has improved dramatically over the past 10 years, even (or perhaps especially) at budget prices. However, spending a lot of money still doesn't necessarily get you good sound. For example consider Grados, which have high distortion and nowhere near neutral frequency response. Some people like that sound, but they are inferior from any objective perspective.

I think we're definitely seeing trickle-down with the LCD-1, and that's a good thing. When Jude measures the LCD-1, if has the same low distortion as the rest of the LCD series with flatter frequency response (without the Audeze 4 kHz dip), then I'm all in. It's possible that it might actually be a better headphone even at its lower price. I'm also a bit concerned that LCD-1 might have too low impedance or too high voltage sensitivity. However, if it measures as well it looks and reviews, I may actually replace my LCD-2 (2016 Fazor drivers) with them.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #240 of 1,085
When Jude measures the LCD-1, if has the same low distortion as the rest of the LCD series with flatter frequency response (without the Audeze 4 kHz dip), then I'm all in.
That's exactly what it is, but only in terms of FR. Also in case you missed it I linked Audeze's own LCD1 measurement done on their KEMAR that they have allowed me to share in my video review. The LCD1 can't compete with the 2 in terms of soundstage and bass slam though. My primary daily driver at home is a 2018 LCD2F. It might need some EQ, but it ain't going anywhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back