Audeze LCD-1
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #196 of 1,085
So is the LCD-1 a studio monitor headphone or?

Anyone knows if the pads big like the LCD or on ear?

It’s not on-ear, it’s a true over-ear but on the small side of that and the LCD-1 pads are definitely not as big as the LCD-2 and its other bigger brothers.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #197 of 1,085
Did not realize the blurbs we put on the site are analyzed to this detail.

Well, we are audiophiles. We love to read between the lines, just like we hear better sound using diamond encrusted headphone cables. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #198 of 1,085
Thanks for the kind words. I aim to do the most transparent reviews possible, and do not accept payment or use affiliate links of any kind. The only income I receive is from Patreon and YouTube ads. This is just a hobby for me; I have a "real" job already.

The LCD-1 is not mine and will be returned to the manufacturer when I'm done with it. Basically, I told Audeze that the Mobius might have one of their most neutral FRs when running on default EQ mode. They responded essentially "boy do we have a headphone for you", and that headphone was LCD-1. Sure enough, it lived up to the hype once I got to review it. After I compare my personal ZMF Atticus to the LCD-2 Closed, I'll be comparing M570 to the LCD-1.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #199 of 1,085
Thanks for the kind words. I aim to do the most transparent reviews possible, and do not accept payment or use affiliate links of any kind. The only income I receive is from Patreon and YouTube ads. This is just a hobby for me; I have a "real" job already.

The LCD-1 is not mine and will be returned to the manufacturer when I'm done with it. Basically, I told Audeze that the Mobius might have one of their most neutral FRs when running on default EQ mode. They responded essentially "boy do we have a headphone for you", and that headphone was LCD-1. Sure enough, it lived up to the hype once I got to review it. After I compare my personal ZMF Atticus to the LCD-2 Closed, I'll be comparing M570 to the LCD-1.

These seem to be Audeze's response to the Quad Era 1 (Baby Abyss) and the Alaras (Hitherto a planar HD600 with intimate soundstage). At 399 it seems quite tempting! I hope they later retune them for a closed-back, portable setup for OTG. Great review, by the way! I hope Audeze releases a resistored cable for use of the LCD-1 with OTL tubes.

On a side note, I hope people like you, Zeos, BGGAR, and Valour get the Flare 2HDs by Flare. The reviews for them have been nothing but short of calling the best IEMsin the world (although more info on that would be liked.)

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #200 of 1,085
Metal571’s video review gave me ASMR :).

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #201 of 1,085
I anticipate a a pair for review very soon. I assume it will be a great sounding pair of headphones as the norm from Audeze. I doubt that warrants contention.

I'll miss the current Audeze LCD headband though. That's about the only thing I'm not happy with, pre-arrival. Nothing wrong with the Mobius style... but it doesn't compete with perfection. I want the LCD headband on every headphone, ever.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #202 of 1,085
Now, there's this review from Steve Guttenberg:

EDIT: His shirt... I hope that is not what audiophiliac means...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #204 of 1,085
Now, there's this review from Steve Guttenberg:

EDIT: His shirt... I hope that is not what audiophiliac means...
More info regarding LCD-1's ergonomics from Steve's review than metal571's. Still, from metal571's earlier review, the LCD-1's looked too small to be over-ear. Personally, I'm not a big fan of on-ears that are advertised as over-ears (from Audeze's product description: "Wide dynamic range - 90mm Over-Ear Planar Drivers"). I remember the closed-back 1More's Triple-Driver advertised "over-ears" that were essentially on-ears on me. The sound with the 1More was a bit wonky due to the incomplete on-ear seal and the comfort was absolutely terrible with a punishing central hot-spot, and I can wear heavy cans like HE-500 (focuspads) and the LCD-2 rev. 1 all day long (stock headbands).

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #206 of 1,085
More info regarding LCD-1's ergonomics from Steve's review than metal571's. Still, from metal571's earlier review, the LCD-1's looked too small to be over ear. Personally, I'm not a big fan of on-ears that are advertised as over-ears (from Audeze's product description: "Wide dynamic range - 90mm Over-Ear Planar Drivers"). I remember the closed-back 1More's Triple-Driver advertised "over-ears" that were essentially on-ears on me. The sound with the 1More was a bit wonky due to the incomplete on-ear seal and the comfort was absolutely terrible with a punishing central hot-spot, and I can wear heavy cans like HE-500 (focuspads) and the LCD-2 rev. 1 all day long (stock headbands).

A few of us have the LCD1's on order. Im sure that most of us will be commenting on them, perhaps even writing a review. I will, And if they are "On-Ears" pretending to be "over Ears", then .... many Flags will be raised about this, no doubt.
However, of the few people who have reviewed them, of which i have not read any full review, including the Audiophil. review..... does he mention them being probably uncomfortable for anyone with large ears.......etc?
Surely it does not take 134 reviews to finally be told these are """ tiny cups and are going to be too small for anything other then medium or smaller ears"..
I can't imagine that Audeze would send out (on ears) that are advertised as (over ears). I think they know the difference......:)
In the photos ive seen, the LCD-1s seem like they are a set of headphones with a cup size that is over ears, but, certainly it not a large cup.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #207 of 1,085
More info regarding LCD-1's ergonomics from Steve's review than metal571's. Still, from metal571's earlier review, the LCD-1's looked too small to be over-ear. Personally, I'm not a big fan of on-ears that are advertised as over-ears (from Audeze's product description: "Wide dynamic range - 90mm Over-Ear Planar Drivers"). I remember the closed-back 1More's Triple-Driver advertised "over-ears" that were essentially on-ears on me. The sound with the 1More was a bit wonky due to the incomplete on-ear seal and the comfort was absolutely terrible with a punishing central hot-spot, and I can wear heavy cans like HE-500 (focuspads) and the LCD-2 rev. 1 all day long (stock headbands).
It is *not* an on-ear headphone. For some people the pads might be on the smaller side but it's nothing like the Sine

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #208 of 1,085
A few of us have the LCD1's on order. Im sure that most of us will be commenting on them, perhaps even writing a review. I will, And if they are "On-Ears" pretending to be "over Ears", then .... many Flags will be raised about this, no doubt.
However, of the few people who have reviewed them, of which i have not read any full review, including the Audiophil. review..... does he mention them being probably uncomfortable for anyone with large ears.......etc?
Surely it does not take 134 reviews to finally be told these are """ tiny cups and are going to be too small for anything other then medium or smaller ears"..
I can't imagine that Audeze would send out (on ears) that are advertised as (over ears). I think they know the difference......:)
In the photos ive seen, the LCD-1s seem like they are a set of headphones with a cup size that is over ears, but, certainly it not a large cup.

In this post, I said:

"Another cautionary note is its "around-the-ear" description. While the LCD-1 is a circumaural (around-the-ear) design, it's definitely on the smaller side of that. My very averaged sized ears do touch the soft pads on the inside, but the soft hand of the lambskin makes it not just tolerable for me, but comfortable. My head is on the larger side, and the LCD-1 headband's caliper pressure feels assured but not clampy, thank goodness. This is a very comfortable headphone, but it may be less so for those who have larger ears."

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #209 of 1,085

The LCD-1 definitely have larger ear pads than the 1MORE Triple Driver Over Ear headphones.

The LCD-1 earpads look to be more about the size of the M50X or maybe the MSR7 which are certainly smaller than the larger LCD series ear pads and on the small side of over ear but still larger than the 1MORE’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back