Audeze LCD-1
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #211 of 1,085
It is *not* an on-ear headphone. For some people the pads might be on the smaller side but it's nothing like the Sine

How did you find overall comfort compared to the HD 600 series? If I get these they'll be replacing my 660's, but that will only work if I can wear them for hours without discomfort

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #212 of 1,085
A few of us have the LCD1's on order. Im sure that most of us will be commenting on them, perhaps even writing a review. I will, And if they are "On-Ears" pretending to be "over Ears", then .... many Flags will be raised about this, no doubt.
However, of the few people who have reviewed them, of which i have not read any full review, including the Audiophil. review..... does he mention them being probably uncomfortable for anyone with large ears.......etc?
Surely it does not take 134 reviews to finally be told these are """ tiny cups and are going to be too small for anything other then medium or smaller ears"..
I can't imagine that Audeze would send out (on ears) that are advertised as (over ears). I think they know the difference......:)
In the photos ive seen, the LCD-1s seem like they are a set of headphones with a cup size that is over ears, but, certainly it not a large cup.

Have you listened to it?
How would they compare to your Era-1s? Can't wait!:ksc75smile::floatsmile:

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #213 of 1,085
How did you find overall comfort compared to the HD 600 series? If I get these they'll be replacing my 660's, but that will only work if I can wear them for hours without discomfort

I found them very comfortable as far as I am concerned, just as good as HD660 from memory.... but your mileage may vary.

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #214 of 1,085
In this post, I said:

"Another cautionary note is its "around-the-ear" description. While the LCD-1 is a circumaural (around-the-ear) design, it's definitely on the smaller side of that. My very averaged sized ears do touch the soft pads on the inside, but the soft hand of the lambskin makes it not just tolerable for me, but comfortable. My head is on the larger side, and the LCD-1 headband's caliper pressure feels assured but not clampy, thank goodness. This is a very comfortable headphone, but it may be less so for those who have larger ears."

Reminds me of the PM-3.
As small as the MSR7b, but with a very comfortable, soft touch.
Any thoughts on glasses with Lcd-1?
While it's open back, it wouldn't be much important, i think.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #215 of 1,085
Honestly didn't have a problem at all in terms of comfort. Didn't even notice them on my head in my case.

Reminds me of the PM-3.
As small as the MSR7b, but with a very comfortable, soft touch.
Any thoughts on glasses with Lcd-1?
While it's open back, it wouldn't be much important, i think.
Depending on the rim thickness of your glasses and the smaller size of the pads relative to other over ear headphones, yes, seal could be compromised moreso than some other models. I barely noticed a difference in the bass with mine, but that might not be the result for everyone.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #216 of 1,085
Have you listened to it?
How would they compare to your Era-1s? Can't wait!:ksc75smile::floatsmile:

Had the Sine's pads's been worthy of this headphone's sound and design, then this would have been quite a gear considering the price.
I also felt that the EL-8 series was an underachiever, but, that is just my opinion, as many listeners love this series.
Currently i have wagered about $437 USD that the LCD-1s are going to be great.
I hope it is, and i want it to be.
Someone wrote that they have a lot of bass, and someone else stated their treble is quite outstanding.
What im trying to do, is get them, so that i can hear their Midrange, so that i can establish for myself, and for people who understand
that the Midrange is the MainThing, whether or not these Cans are "Reference" grade gear, in my opinion.
Audeze thinks they are, and a few reviewers seem to agree. Now let me hear them, and then i'll know if this is true for ME.
And i'll talk about this in the review., as already there is enough being said in reviewes about the other frequencies.

Music lives in the Midrange. Mids matter most, in a reference gear.
If the treble is a problem, does this stop a gear from being reference grade material? Yes. But, its a worse situation if the Treble is great and the Bass is fabulous and the Midrange is recessed , cloudy, or tooo present.
Creating Midrange mastery within a set of headphones, is tricky tricky business.
For me, i hope the LCD-1s bass is sturdy yet under control. Im not looking for ....>"wow its small but that bass can crush a rock pile", and those trebles are super-duper sparkly for miles and 8kHz miles".
That is not what i want in my Reference headphones. I want..... "It sounds like MUSIC", "It sounds very NATURAL", I want wide,, awesome mids, that are married with the lower and upper frequencies.
Something like "FLAT" response , has to be involved in "Reference", or its simply not. And "boosted on both ends" is absolutely not "Reference".
"Reference" is all about clarity, honestly of presentation, and musicality that is not being engineered in any sort of "artificial digital freq" sense that you can hear that is not honest or musical.
Audeze has my money because i believe they try to build the best, no matter the Gear's cost.
I will always buy their gear.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #217 of 1,085
If the pads are in any way similar to the size of the Mobius ear pads, then they are absolutely over ear. Small, but still big enough. Just a snug fit. Anyone who has ever owned the Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001 knows that small size pads can still manage to fit over ear.

There's a difference between pads that have the ears touch the side walls, and pads that absolutely rest and pinch on the ears themselves.I can deal with the former, I almost never can deal with the latter.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #218 of 1,085
The pads seem big enough for my ears. And the cups look deep enough that my ears won’t feel pressed into the driver. That was similar to my experience with the Mobius.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #219 of 1,085
I ordered a set almost as soon as they were announced and I will be doing both an unboxing/build/impressions video as well as a deep dive sound review on my very new but growing YouTube channel (The Armchair Audiophile).

I sold my LCD-2 Classics to buy my Ether C Flows, but I've since been looking for an open-back planar that is both physically lighter and audibly less dark than the 2C to take up that spot in my collection. If the LCD-1 delivers on being effectively a "mini LCD-X", as they seem to be trying to, then I think they have the potential to be a very important headphone at this pricepoint for both audiophiles and creatives.

Definitely very excited to get them here and have a listen, and equally excited to find or make a 4.4mm balanced cable to pair them with the HiBy R5.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #220 of 1,085
These look fantastic. I'm eagerly awaiting more detailed listening impressions and measurements from Jude. This might be the opportunity to replace my old original HD-580s and also wondering how they compare with the LCD-2 (with 2016 Fazor drivers).

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #221 of 1,085
IIf the LCD-1 delivers on being effectively a "mini LCD-X",.

Very interesting.
One of my most favorite headphones is the LCD-X.
So, i know the sound, & if the LCD-` is similar, i'll be one happy Audiophile.
Both the original LCDX and the Hifiman EditionX are among favorites of mine.
A $399 LCD-X, smaller, lighter, portable, would be truly fantastic.....:)

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #222 of 1,085
What I get most excited about when something like this comes along is the low price (in modern headphone pricing terms) and the opportunity to re-examine the price to performance ratio of headphones in general. Often we spend a lot of loot for a ticket to paradise when we are just a couple of steps away. It's almost like a reset.

Oct 22, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #223 of 1,085
What I get most excited about when something like this comes along is the low price (in modern headphone pricing terms) and the opportunity to re-examine the price to performance ratio of headphones in general. Often we spend a lot of loot for a ticket to paradise when we are just a couple of steps away. It's almost like a reset.
There seems to be quite a bit of trickle-down happening in terms of planar tech lately to price points that are far more achievable for the average person in this hobby, which is really exciting to see. I haven't been in this hobby as long as some of you guys, but as far as I can tell, headphones have advanced at an unusual pace as far as audio products go in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #224 of 1,085
There seems to be quite a bit of tricke-down happening in terms of planar tech lately to price points that are far more achievable for the average person in this hobby, which is really exciting to see. I haven't been in this hobby as long as some of you guys, but as far as I can tell, headphones have advanced at an unusual pace as far as audio products go in the last 5 years.

Since '2016, Its not quite impossible to buy a set of bad headphones, if you pay $299 on up, but, its nearly.
If you buy a $299 - $2999 set of Headphones, that are created in the last 2 yrs, it would be very difficult to prove that they are "bad".
It could be that you hate their sound, but that does not mean they are "bad", it just means that regarding what you need to hear to be satisfied, they are not producing what YOU want to hear, but they are producing what a lot of other people will want to hear.
Im sure that the Audeze LCD-1s are going to prove to be a "keeper" for many people, but for some, ...... of course they won't love them, and the only way to know, is to get a set and try them.
When my set arrive, .. unless there is a QC issue at some point within the warranty period, i can't see myself parting with a $399 set of Audeze Planar's, even if they are not producing the absolute sound that i prefer.
I have a lot of headphones that i dont use, but i keep them...
And if i discovered that the LCD-1s are producing, generally, the same type of sound signature that the LCD-X's deliver, then that is fantastic.

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #225 of 1,085
There seems to be quite a bit of tricke-down happening in terms of planar tech lately to price points that are far more achievable for the average person in this hobby, which is really exciting to see. I haven't been in this hobby as long as some of you guys, but as far as I can tell, headphones have advanced at an unusual pace as far as audio products go in the last 5 years.
Yes you are so right. I first collected headphones almost 25 yrs ago when it wasn’t cool, the usual suspects, Beyer, Sony and Sennheiser. I now see headphones that are better and in many cases for not a whole lot of money, especially in the case of planars. If we wanted planars back then we had to put a pair of Magnepans to our ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back