Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Mar 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #7,291 of 7,353
Hi I don't know if this thread gets any attention. New poster here. Just picked up some iSine 10s at a great price. Tried with 3.5mm cable so far, I'm not an Apple user.

They sound.....broken. As they are new old stock I'm actually wondering if they are. They are muddled, honky, echoey. They are not just a bit off, they are terrible. I've started to read the whole thread from about page 60 when people started to actually get them and one or two people are saying they are terrible but a few were saying they were just a bit off or even that they sounded good on 3.5mm.

These are not a 'bit off'. I would not listen to them. I'd easily prefer the buds that came with my Samsung phone. I have to contemplate returning them.

It's almost certainly not just a case of the Audeze sound or getting used to a sound signature. I have Audeze Sines that I love, or at least did once I changed to over ear pads.

It won't be how they are amplified, yes I have only tried them with a phone and the output of an AV receiver, not the Fiio Q1 I have, but the Sines sound great out of the AV amp, and out of the phone really except too quiet.

No, there is something terribly wrong with the balance of these.

Unless the Cipher cable or Cipher Bluetooth will put all this right? It almost sounds impossible but I was wondering what people think. I don't want to throw good money after bad. It would be a loss never to be able to connect them to any amp but if they worked well in Cipher they would still have their uses for me.

Thanks for any views etc.

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #7,292 of 7,353
I'd say they need a good bit of EQ and as nice and clean of a power source you can muster.

Got my i3 running off a Qudelix 5K with EQ on the 2.5mm balanced out and they sound amazing! Standard 3.5mm out of a phone? Not going to cut it, what so ever.

Yeah, honestly you don't get any of these Audeze for their stock sound, you get them to make them sound how you want. This has been true of my 20's and now my i3's.

However, once you do get them where you want, they're impossible to beat in my opinion, nothing comes close to the i3 that I've heard for in-ear/portable.

So your set could be broken. Reversed polarity somehow? But I'm betting it's lack of EQ and proper power.

Also both the Bluetooth and iPhone Cipher cables are horrible. Don't judge them on any of these either. Especially the Bluetooth cable.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #7,293 of 7,353
@Heartsmart - The cipher cables are optimized for iSine headphones. You can certainly try them with other brands, but you might have to use heavy EQ to balance the sound.
So isn't this an admission by Audeze that a heavy EQ is applied by Cipher?

As it happens I just listened to them again this morning, and it is not as terrible as I recalled. I did change to the ridged plugs. It could be I am habituating to the sound. However I would still listen to be 'AKG branded' Samsung buds in preference, and that can't be right.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #7,294 of 7,353
Hi I don't know if this thread gets any attention. New poster here. Just picked up some iSine 10s at a great price. Tried with 3.5mm cable so far, I'm not an Apple user.

They sound.....broken. As they are new old stock I'm actually wondering if they are. They are muddled, honky, echoey. They are not just a bit off, they are terrible. I've started to read the whole thread from about page 60 when people started to actually get them and one or two people are saying they are terrible but a few were saying they were just a bit off or even that they sounded good on 3.5mm.

These are not a 'bit off'. I would not listen to them. I'd easily prefer the buds that came with my Samsung phone. I have to contemplate returning them.

It's almost certainly not just a case of the Audeze sound or getting used to a sound signature. I have Audeze Sines that I love, or at least did once I changed to over ear pads.

It won't be how they are amplified, yes I have only tried them with a phone and the output of an AV receiver, not the Fiio Q1 I have, but the Sines sound great out of the AV amp, and out of the phone really except too quiet.

No, there is something terribly wrong with the balance of these.

Unless the Cipher cable or Cipher Bluetooth will put all this right? It almost sounds impossible but I was wondering what people think. I don't want to throw good money after bad. It would be a loss never to be able to connect them to any amp but if they worked well in Cipher they would still have their uses for me.

Thanks for any views etc.
Hallo name cannot be blank.

With the Cipher Caple and the Audeze app ( EQ )
on an I Pod or I Phone you can achieve good sound results,..
at me to Example with the i20 .

Without Cipher and or EQ it sounds
just bad !

Best Greetings , Nomos

A94867C9-9F5D-44A1-9136-80E5FE308A5A.jpeg

0D087E34-192A-421F-B6E1-B4FD6F96F477.jpeg

92921AD1-6153-426A-88A8-086F467736A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #7,296 of 7,353
And the answer is....EQ!

Dug out my Q1mk233, worked out why it hasn't been working (faulty USB cable), setup a similar EQ pattern to several examples found on here, in HF player, and that was it. They instantly now sound right. As a double check it is not particularly amplification I then took the Fiio out of the system, still great. By switching out the equaliser in the HF player I can do pretty much instant A-B's between EQ'ed and not. Good grief. I don't know how anyone can listen to then un-EQ'ed!

I didn't have to do anything like this with the (original over ear) Sines.

Thanks to all and Nomos in particular.

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #7,298 of 7,353
Edit: Whoops, never mind. I see it was answered already.

But ... I do recommend you search for early posts from Kmann. He shared V1 and V2 parameters. It possible you might like that better than the parameters above to match a Harman or oratory target.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #7,299 of 7,353
Unless the Cipher cable or Cipher Bluetooth will put all this right? It

See this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...netic-earphones.818870/page-167#post-13518210

The graphic representing the band type may be a little cryptic. Band 1 &10 are shelf. The rest are peak dip.

The 3-button Cipher and BT Cipher use the V1 curve. The 4-button Cipher uses V2. This explains it more precisely:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...netic-earphones.818870/page-276#post-13853196

I recently rediscovered my iSine20 while my Euclid was sent back to Audeze for service. And I was reminded of how the BT Cipher is darker than the V2. So I was looking to remind myself of that post by Kmann to look into the difference. (As you are new to the many MANY hahaha years of this, Kmann is the ultimate OG of all OGs regarding Audeze & its many uses of DSP. He created them all. This is the original he was referring to:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...gnetic-earphones.818870/page-84#post-13229906
I post these links in-part for myself, to make them easier to find again.)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #7,300 of 7,353
With a lightning to USB c adapter, and the ear fins, I have a consistent reliable fit, consistent sound quality, more than adequate volume and excellent sound so I am now happy.

However the fact that is not actually night and day is testament really to the earphones in the box with Samsung phones, they have the fit /design of an IEM, don't know what is inside them, dynamic or armature but they make a very tolerable sound for a freebie. This is them:

But I now have a product in the iSine 10s that I can keep and enjoy.

Attachments

• ec2b90_e48724c0de3d483089053dd0ed44371b_mv2_d_1408_1456_s_2.jpg
    ec2b90_e48724c0de3d483089053dd0ed44371b_mv2_d_1408_1456_s_2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #7,302 of 7,353
Which hooks/size do you need? I may have extra.
Headfier nakadmd offered spare hooks, and he sent them, for free, from USA to Europe. He sent several sets of hooks, and they were in Estonia in less than a week, USPS Express.

Just wish to thank nakadmd and say how happy and very grateful I am! Was down to last pair of hooks, one of the hooks already broken, and had to be super glued to ear piece, no other way to attach it.
Please see photo, this is where hooks often snap, be very careful and gentle with them. Without hooks or fins, there is no way to use Audeze IEMs when walking, impossible. Thai distributor in Bangkok had no stock in December, January, February, and said they likely won't have for months, same in Estonia.

Always have spare hooks on you when traveling, otherwise you'd be without headphone, same goes for rubber tips, easily slip off, easy to lose, difficult to replace unless you are in US.

Audeze shipping to Asia and Europe is strictly by UPS, just shipping cost for hooks and fins is $105 USD.

Huge thank you to nakadmd, you are my hero! How often does something like this happen in life? Almost never.
Let this good come back to you!

Attachments

• nakadmd_is_a_hero.jpg
    nakadmd_is_a_hero.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #7,303 of 7,353
Try my eq for the Audeze iSine 10 guys (No CIPHER cable!)
I eq'd it by ear to match the tonality of my Etymotic's (super smooth). Sounds awesome.

Less-precise, parametric EQ:
Preamp: -6.2 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 921 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 0.820
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1474 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 2.980
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2596 Hz Gain 3.9 dB Q 1.250
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4929 Hz Gain 6.6 dB Q 2.570
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain -2.8 dB Q 1.100
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3992 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 3.890
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4899 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 1.670
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5863 Hz Gain 0.6 dB Q 5.930
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 4308 Hz Gain -4.7 dB Q 4.700
Filter 10: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 1.000
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 3400 Hz Gain 4.6 dB Q 2.600
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 6.000
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 1.000
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 7000 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 5.000
Filter 15: ON PK Fc 13600 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 10.000
Filter 16: ON PK Fc 11000 Hz Gain 5.1 dB Q 1.700
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 9500 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 7.000

Highly-precise 130 band graphic EQ:
eq apo.png
See attached files for the settings, I also attached a 127 band EQ for Wavelet
wavelet.jpg

By the way, here's how I'm fitting them: Audeze iSINE and LCDi4 Setup Tutorial
I followed the audeze video, im using the medium smooth tips, clear hooks (turned at that angle!), and shallow inserting them like audeze shows

there could be some unit variation shenanigans so it might not sound like mine but this eq that i made sounds WAY better than every other eq ive tried.

Attachments

• Audeze iSine 10 Perfect EQ Parametric.txt
    995 bytes · Views: 0
  • Audeze iSine 10 Perfect EQ 127 bands for Wavelet.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Audeze iSine 10 Perfect EQ 130 bands for EqAPO.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #7,304 of 7,353
I'd say they need a good bit of EQ and as nice and clean of a power source you can muster.

Got my i3 running off a Qudelix 5K with EQ on the 2.5mm balanced out and they sound amazing! Standard 3.5mm out of a phone? Not going to cut it, what so ever.

Yeah, honestly you don't get any of these Audeze for their stock sound, you get them to make them sound how you want. This has been true of my 20's and now my i3's.

However, once you do get them where you want, they're impossible to beat in my opinion, nothing comes close to the i3 that I've heard for in-ear/portable.

So your set could be broken. Reversed polarity somehow? But I'm betting it's lack of EQ and proper power.

Also both the Bluetooth and iPhone Cipher cables are horrible. Don't judge them on any of these either. Especially the Bluetooth cable.
Although I agree the BT cipher is crap (even the connectors come off the buds), the second gen Lightning cipher is amazing. It‘s output is actually balanced and eq settings from the Audeze iOS app get saved on the cipher. It also works great on any usbC devices (iPad, Android, pc…) with the Anker Lightning-to usbC adapter. I used to use my iSine with 2.5mm balanced cable and Earstudio ES100 but once I got the lightning cable+Anker adapter and right eq, never looked back

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #7,305 of 7,353
Although I agree the BT cipher is crap (even the connectors come off the buds), the second gen Lightning cipher is amazing. It‘s output is actually balanced and eq settings from the Audeze iOS app get saved on the cipher. It also works great on any usbC devices (iPad, Android, pc…) with the Anker Lightning-to usbC adapter. I used to use my iSine with 2.5mm balanced cable and Earstudio ES100 but once I got the lightning cable+Anker adapter and right eq, never looked back
Treat your lightning cipher cable well, they’re sadly an endangered species nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back