Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
May 13, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #6,436 of 7,352
Caveat - I am older (48), and I am sure I have some hearing loss.

First off, interestingly the Audeze Mobius sounds brighter than the iSine 20s and BT Cipher. Maybe @KMann can weigh in on the tuning difference between the two DSPs.

The sound between the Cipher connecting via aptX HD and 4.4mm balanced out on the NW-ZX300 seems to depend heavily on the song. On some tracks, the wired option seems to be brighter and the depth a little more pronounced. On others, it's reversed. Comparing these to other IEMs as I listened to track after track (just for you!) reminds me why I love these things - rich sound, incredible bass.

That leads to another question for @Audeze - it seems (based on my memory of physics and sound from 30 years ago) that the attack on the Cipher BT might be what causes some songs to sound more detailed - faster attack makes things pop a little more. Of course, I might just be crazy.

Bottom line - both are good. Some reviewers have said the BT Cipher makes music sound muddy, and I disagree. The convenience versus any appreciable sound quality loss will have to be heavily weighed.

Addendum: One thing I have found is that at very very low volumes, the BT Cipher loses depth faster than the wired connection. That may be a factor if you like your music at whisper, 20 decibel levels. I did listen to quiet classical music as part of my comparison, and quiet tracks are not a factor. Listening to some Mumford and Sons right now - Babel - and this is an example of an album where wired may have more depth. A DSD of Violin Concertos sounded better on the Cipher.

EQ applied:
Peaking 31 Hz 1.41 2.5 dB
Peaking 62 Hz 1.41 1.8 dB
Peaking 125 Hz 1.41 -0.6 dB
Peaking 250 Hz 1.41 -1.7 dB
Peaking 500 Hz 1.41 -0.4 dB
Peaking 1000 Hz 1.41 -7.9 dB
Peaking 2000 Hz 1.41 1.1 dB
Peaking 4000 Hz 1.41 8.9 dB
Peaking 8000 Hz 1.41 -2.2 dB
Peaking 16000 Hz 1.41 -2.5 dB
another Audeze mini showroom. Lol.

May 15, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #6,440 of 7,352
If it works please let us know. Would be wonderful news. Have tried something similar but none worked.
Does anyone know if this usb to lighting adapter works for using the Cipher cable with Android?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6MKJZH/?tag=cult087-20

Oh iSines are in the description!

Yes this is compatible with Cipher V1 and V2 cables when used with USB-C in iDevices, Mac and Win 10. We have been told it is compatible with Android, but as everything else related to Android, you can never be sure without trying it with your device.

May 15, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #6,441 of 7,352
Yes this is compatible with Cipher V1 and V2 cables when used with USB-C in iDevices, Mac and Win 10. We have been told it is compatible with Android, but as everything else related to Android, you can never be sure without trying it with your device.

Awesome! Will order.
I have a pixel 2 and all of the usb dacs I've tried have worked so I've got high hopes.

May 15, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #6,443 of 7,352

Hopefully Audeze is making a USB-C Cipher cable. With Apple moving away from Lightning over the next few years, it would be nice not to have to drag more adapters to school.

May 15, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #6,444 of 7,352
Do you know if it with work with a usb c to micro usb adapter for non usb c devices?

May 15, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #6,447 of 7,352

That's great news. Will need to order one. My main issue with the iSine as an Android user is that i really like the sound when I EQ through my Fiio Alpen 2 DAC/Amp, but its just too cumbersome for me carrying it + phone in my pocket when moving around listening to music. Just enough of an inconvenience that makes it hard to listen to these on-the-go.

Question: Does anyone have recommended EQ settings for iSine 10 using the Spotify internal Equalizer? I know almost nothing about EQ settings and not sure what to adjust the Spotify EQ to for the iSine 10. Any recommendations? Thanks!

May 15, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #6,448 of 7,352
[Unboxing] Planar magnetic In-ear Audeze iSine 10 (silent)

May 16, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #6,449 of 7,352
How does one determine driver flex is happening on your iSines? I get an occasion popping sound on my left driver and thought it was a bad cable but unsure. This phenomenon only happens whenever I am walking around campus and not when I am sitting down on a chair.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #6,450 of 7,352
How does one determine driver flex is happening on your iSines? I get an occasion popping sound on my left driver and thought it was a bad cable but unsure. This phenomenon only happens whenever I am walking around campus and not when I am sitting down on a chair.

iSine has a 2-Pin connector, there can be no pop sound unless it happens in the driver

You should also be able to feel the pressure in your ear change, like feel that your eardrum is getting pushed or pulled in some way. This is a good way to tell driver flex apart from other noises. I noticed it happens on many larger planar magnetic headphones, and I also believed that it was the cables, until I played with them enough to notice that when the pop happens, they push a bit on my eardrum, that's how I now know it is driver flex.

BTW, most planars do, not a specific company, seems to happen to most of them, but to a larger headphone, you need to really be twitchy and otherwise aggressive with it to make it happen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back