Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #5,671 of 7,352
Has anyone been able to compare the iSine 20 with the Campfire Audio Atlas?
I haven't compared them side-by-side, but have already had an extensive listening session with Atlas, Andro and I'm using iSine 20 with my desktop setup and heavy EQ. Overall, to me, the Atlas simply can't match the control, speed, sound density, sound stage of the iSine 20. The bass on the iSine 20 is the best bass ever in an in-ear, which means it beats the Atlas as well. I will not compare the mids and the highs since I don't like the way the Atlas present the mids and highs(I much prefer Andromeda). Hope it helps!

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #5,672 of 7,352
I haven't compared them side-by-side, but have already had an extensive listening session with Atlas, Andro and I'm using iSine 20 with my desktop setup and heavy EQ. Overall, to me, the Atlas simply can't match the control, speed, sound density, sound stage of the iSine 20. The bass on the iSine 20 is the best bass ever in an in-ear, which means it beats the Atlas as well. I will not compare the mids and the highs since I don't like the way the Atlas present the mids and highs(I much prefer Andromeda). Hope it helps!
Ah, and to be fair, I listened to Atlas and Andromeda by an ZX2 with Sound Adjusment off

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #5,673 of 7,352

Thanks for the quick reply! I'd be using the iSine 20 with the Cowon Plenue R, although the seller has the V1 cable only.. would that even work for me? I hear that this IEM sounds way off with the standard cable?
Or is there something that I can buy in order to make this work with my Plenue R?

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #5,674 of 7,352
Thanks for the quick reply! I'd be using the iSine 20 with the Cowon Plenue R, although the seller has the V1 cable only.. would that even work for me? I hear that this IEM sounds way off with the standard cable?
Or is there something that I can buy in order to make this work with my Plenue R?
It's strongly not recommended to use the iSine WITHOUT EQ. I use the 3.5mm cable with my desktop rig and have to apply very strong EQ(but the result is incredible and I can hardly hear any distortion). If you use the iSine with the Cowon, then yeah you have to use the Cowon EQ(heard the Jet Effect is the best EQ system now). About the Cipher, yeah using it would be a portable-cheap solution for a good sound from the iSine.However, its sound of course can't compare with the bigger setup then. When I use my iSine with my desktop set up, the sound stage is a lot wider and more holographic, the bass can go deeper and the treble has more of sparkle to it. The overall sound is way better. But the sound from the Cipher is also reasonable good too, still can hold up quite well with the Atlas.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #5,675 of 7,352
It's strongly not recommended to use the iSine WITHOUT EQ. I use the 3.5mm cable with my desktop rig and have to apply very strong EQ(but the result is incredible and I can hardly hear any distortion). If you use the iSine with the Cowon, then yeah you have to use the Cowon EQ(heard the Jet Effect is the best EQ system now). About the Cipher, yeah using it would be a portable-cheap solution for a good sound from the iSine.However, its sound of course can't compare with the bigger setup then. When I use my iSine with my desktop set up, the sound stage is a lot wider and more holographic, the bass can go deeper and the treble has more of sparkle to it. The overall sound is way better. But the sound from the Cipher is also reasonable good too, still can hold up quite well with the Atlas.

So it looks like the iSine won't be worth it without EQ? I'm not a fan of EQ, but if the sound afterwards is that incredible then I might consider it.
Do you know of commonly used EQ setting?

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #5,676 of 7,352
So it looks like the iSine won't be worth it without EQ? I'm not a fan of EQ, but if the sound afterwards is that incredible then I might consider it.
Do you know of commonly used EQ setting?

Lots of posts in here, including a few by Audeze, for best EQ. I'll post mine later for ya.

With EQ, yes, I think they are absolutely worth it. Even a 10 band non-parametric makes a helluva difference, and the overall sound is very good. It's more of a smooth rather than analytical presentation, bass is money.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #5,678 of 7,352
It's tough getting the perfect eq settings though.

I'm sure dsp plays role in really making the isines shine.

Reading instructions on v4a installation on android as i think it can match the cipher cable sound for use with 3.5mm or balanced.

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #5,679 of 7,352
use a PMEQ, you don’t need complicated EQ settings. Basically just need to shift the 1.5K bump and raise the drop around 4-5khz range. a 2 band PMEQ is enough to accomplish this. A +/- 6dB cut/boost range is more than enough on most occasion.

A 3rd band to adjust bass to your preferred level is already a luxury.

So it’s not as complicated as many think. The usual graphic equalizer is tougher to adjust since it has fixed center frequency and Q.

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,680 of 7,352
Haven't posted in a while (over three years) but have lurked during that time. I recently purchased the iSine 20 during Audeze's refurb sale, and I wanted to give back to the headphone community, especially since Audeze's fine product really benefits from it, so…

Want to try out the Cipher tunings on your iSine but don't have the Cipher cable? Interested in using that nice portable DAC you already own with the iSine analog cable? Based on posts by kmann, particularly this post,

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...netic-earphones.818870/page-167#post-13518210

I've created EQ presets that work in Onkyo HF Player (tested on iOS but should work on Android too) that very closely follow the curves shown, so that you don't have to draw them in the app yourself. See below. The Dropbox links allow you to use a mobile browser to transfer them to HF Player.

Audeze iSine V1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofo09pva5a74cju/Flat to Audeze iSine V1.eq?dl=1

Audeze iSine V2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/udlnso53evk8rot/Flat to Audeze iSine V2.eq?dl=1

Audeze iSine Cipher Original:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnxrt27e5mceb4s/Flat to Audeze iSine Cipher Original.eq?dl=1

Now, you can use your mobile device and Onkyo's EQ with an outboard DAC/amp choice or combo of your choosing and drive the iSine with the supplied analog cable. Or, try out the V2 EQ before buying the newest Cipher cable so you can travel light and get EQ when using Tidal. As I recall, the V2 tuning is what the current Cipher cable uses, but I may be wrong (perhaps it depends on which planar magnetic model you have).

Can't seems to find how to import those .eq files into my Onkyo HF Player (Android). How do I do it? And thanks for sharing, really awesome of you.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #5,682 of 7,352
New iSine 20 owner here.

I had an interesting observation today at work... I was working in a room about 10-15 meters (behind 2 walls) adjacent to a MRI machine (3T). Obviously I would imagine these 3T MRIs to be within rooms that have proper Faraday cage built in... but when the MRI machine was scanning today (I'm not sure what type of excitation and relaxation time settings they used), the iSine 20 was pausing at times, appearing to be syncing with the cycles of the MRI machine... There were also occasions where the earphones were making sudden increase (like a pop, for 0.5 sec) in volume then resuming normal.

I initially suspected this to be a cable problem, but I cannot reproduce the same issue at home (regardless of movement, manipulation of cable). Currently, the sound is still as amazing as I expect the iSine 20 to be so I don't think the earphones are faulty. I have the v1 Cipher cable (awaiting official dealer to provide v2 as promised).

Has anyone made a similar observation to this? I am suspecting the extremely strong magnetic field from the 3T MRI machine was having some sort of effect on the iSine 20 despite being at that distance. I just want to take a moment to appreciate how strong these magnets are which probably facilitate the great control and wide spectrum of sound to be produced! (of course, these magnets in iSine 20 are tiny, they are no where near what an MRI machine generate in terms of magnetic field).

I have sent a message to Audeze, interested to know if they and everyone else had similar experience before?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #5,683 of 7,352
I have an LCDi4 v2 cable and an isine10 v2 cable and have noticed popping on the headphones when our radio system at work transmits. We use hand held Motorola radios with repeaters in a large manufacturing facility. When a handheld unit is keyed within 6-10 feet of me, my headphones exhibit popping and static. I assumed it was rfi from the radios. May be a similiar situation. No lasting damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back