Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 7, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #4,831 of 7,348
Nobody had to buy some spare earhooks?

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #4,832 of 7,348
Spoke too soon, should have looked into VOX player before posting.

Turns out VOX is for iPhone only, not Android.

KMann, you put large effort to tune VOX's EQ to sound as close as possible to Cipher. I am sure you used Audeze dummy head, because it is impossible to tune EQ so precisely by ear.

No one else here, other than you, KMann, has access to this technology. All we, Android users do is try and try, endlessly. And we get very different EQ presets as a result. That's because individual preferences are just that, preferences, not measured, precise set of EQ settings.

So you did all the work with VOX for an iphone users! But aren't iPhone users already covered with your company's Cipher cable, KMann?

Maybe I'm asking too much, but would it be possible for you, or any other Audeze developer to post measured EQ presets for most common Android apps? Poweramp is very widely used app, and I have no way to preset it precisely. I dont own laboratory grade mics, and without them it's impossible task.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #4,833 of 7,348
Thank you for sharing your background and congrats on your purchase of iSine10s.

I have seen VOX mentioned a few times, but did not know it had parametric EQ options and the support of some streaming music (Spotify), a very good find. Good enough for me to try for $3.99.

I like the 5 band parametric EQ option they provide and the UI is very intuitive and simple.
  1. Go to settings -> Equalizer and Audio Settings -> EQ presets tab
  2. Choose Flat 5-band from the list (the one before the last, if you scroll down)
  3. Then select Prametric EQ. You will see >- O O O -<
  4. The first one is a Low shelf (LS) the middle three are Peak (P1, P2, P3) and the last one is a High shelf (HS) filter.
  5. You select each one in the order I listed below, when you select one it is highlighted in yellow and the Frequency , Gain and Q values will be shown on top.
  6. If you move the marker up or down, it affects the gain. If you move the marker sideways tor right or left, it changes the frequency and if you use pinch with two fingers away or towards each other it affects Q..
  7. Once you are done Save preset (bottom left)
Note that you need not be ultra precise, if the frequency is off by a little or similarly if the gain is off by .1dB it is also OK. Try to get Q to match the values I list and feel free to change it for your needs, it allows real-time adjustment of the EQ, which is nice.

LS: Gain 6 dB, Frequency 136.7Hz, Q 0.3
P1: Gain -1.5 dB, Frequency 1.45kHz, Q 1.2
P2: Gain 8 dB, Frequency 3kHz, Q 2.1
P3: Gain -5 dB, Frequency 10kHz, Q 3
HS: Gain 3dB, Frequency 13.3kHz, Q1

Edited: Q, Max supported by VOX is 3

Everybody knows Isines need to be EQ'd to put out flat, or more or less flat frequency response. By choosing to release isines with Cipher as the only Fr correction option, Audeze said FU to every non iPhone. But now you thought one time wasn't enough, you found time to return, and throw another FU to us, Android users, by working out presets for VOX player, an iPhone program.
Thanks, Audeze! You truly care! Happy to be your loyal customer since 2011.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #4,835 of 7,348
KMann,
thank you very much for advice here, coming from one of Audeze developers, your recommended EQ presets are a gift for non ipeople, and really the only valid, researched recommendation. My own EQ preference is just that, my own, and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

It's been asked here several times before, but you haven't given an answer, what EQ preset would you use with Android app Poweramp? It is widely regarded as one of the best music player apps. Many, many people here use it.

Would you consider tuning Poweramp's EQ to sound as close to Cipher as possible? Please!

This thread has different people with very different preset recommendations, even people who achieve better sound by replacing headphone cable. It is impossible now to take seriously anyone's recommendation, other than yours, because you are an Audeze engineer. So it would really help many here, if you gave Android Poweramp a try, and post EQ here.
Are you asking @KMann to do the work for you? He posted this a few pages back: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...netic-earphones.818870/page-167#post-13518210
Just plug in the numbers into Poweramp and then make your adjustments if needed.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #4,836 of 7,348
Are you asking @KMann to do the work for you? /QUOTE]

Yes! That is exactly what I was asking. He works at Audeze. It is not unreasonable request.

I missed his post regarding Poweramp few pages back, thank you for pointing it out, and thank you for a link!

Your question was rhetorical, yes? Or do you think Audeze doesn't have to provide flat Frequency response from $599 priced product they manufacture and sell? Audeze Isines series headphones don't come with a warning that states clearly that iSines DO NOT give optimal Fr output without Cipher.
But I'm sure your whiteknighting is appreciated by manufacturer.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #4,837 of 7,348
Yes! That is exactly what I was asking. He works at Audeze. It is not unreasonable request.

I missed his post regarding Poweramp few pages back, thank you for pointing it out, and thank you for a link!

Your question was rhetorical, yes? Or do you think Audeze doesn't have to provide flat Frequency response from $599 priced product they manufacture and sell? Audeze Isines series headphones don't come with a warning that states clearly that iSines DO NOT give optimal Fr output without Cipher.
Hey, I resemble that remark
tumblr_static_white_knight.jpg

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #4,838 of 7,348
Spoke too soon, should have looked into VOX player before posting.

Turns out VOX is for iPhone only, not Android.

KMann, you put large effort to tune VOX's EQ to sound as close as possible to Cipher. I am sure you used Audeze dummy head, because it is impossible to tune EQ so precisely by ear.

No one else here, other than you, KMann, has access to this technology. All we, Android users do is try and try, endlessly. And we get very different EQ presets as a result. That's because individual preferences are just that, preferences, not measured, precise set of EQ settings.

So you did all the work with VOX for an iphone users! But aren't iPhone users already covered with your company's Cipher cable, KMann?

Maybe I'm asking too much, but would it be possible for you, or any other Audeze developer to post measured EQ presets for most common Android apps? Poweramp is very widely used app, and I have no way to preset it precisely. I dont own laboratory grade mics, and without them it's impossible task.

Thanks for being a supporter of Audeze and we are able to do what we do because of customers like you. I am sorry you feel that way but these are untrue and unfair statements. Most talk of EQ on this thread was spurred by the need for Android users to dial in a EQ. I published the EQ curves to help Android users (as fragmented nature of Android makes it extremely challenging to create a USB cable) I have helped many on this thread with common Android apps like HF player and Neutron player, USB pro. In fact there are very few iOS specific requests. When you use apps like Neutron player (and VOX on iOS), that supports parametric EQ, it is fairly simple to dial in the settings as I already have them. There have been other posts on this thread where there were requests for 10 band EQ for DAPs and other players. Unfortunately 10 band EQ is not precise and their implementation vary. In those cases my advice has always been to simply match the values in the curves I posted then adjust it to your liking, many have done that and posted about it.

As for app specific tuning: I do not use any dummy head or microphone (well I use my head :)), there is no rigorous measurement and testing, just like many on this thread I download the app, figure out the interface and give it a quick listen and post it.

If you had just PMd me or made a request for a EQ for Poweramp, I would have been happy to help if i had missed similar posts, it was not intentional as I do not read all posts. Yes I work for Audeze, but my job description does not include providing EQ presets for apps on the Android market. I do it because I am a audio enthusiast and like to tinker myself similar to many headfiers, I have learnt a lot from this community and am trying to give back and help out in my free time.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #4,839 of 7,348

You should ask Audeze to do your taxes too.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #4,840 of 7,348
Thanks for being a supporter of Audeze and we are able to do what we do because of customers like you. I am sorry you feel that way but these are untrue and unfair statements. Most talk of EQ on this thread was spurred by the need for Android users to dial in a EQ. I published the EQ curves to help Android users (as fragmented nature of Android makes it extremely challenging to create a USB cable) I have helped many on this thread with common Android apps like HF player and Neutron player, USB pro. In fact there are very few iOS specific requests. When you use apps like Neutron player (and VOX on iOS), that supports parametric EQ, it is fairly simple to dial in the settings as I already have them. There have been other posts on this thread where there were requests for 10 band EQ for DAPs and other players. Unfortunately 10 band EQ is not precise and their implementation vary. In those cases my advice has always been to simply match the values in the curves I posted then adjust it to your liking, many have done that and posted about it.

As for app specific tuning: I do not use any dummy head or microphone (well I use my head :)), there is no rigorous measurement and testing, just like many on this thread I download the app, figure out the interface and give it a quick listen and post it.

If you had just PMd me or made a request for a EQ for Poweramp, I would have been happy to help if i had missed similar posts, it was not intentional as I do not read all posts. Yes I work for Audeze, but my job description does not include providing EQ presets for apps on the Android market. I do it because I am a audio enthusiast and like to tinker myself similar to many headfiers, I have learnt a lot from this community and am trying to give back and help out in my free time.

Thank you for reply!

Since you brought it up, yes, as a non iPhone user I do feel let down by Audeze.

I am aware this thread is directed at Android, and every non iPhone user on the planet. You mention that there are very few requests from IOS users here. Why should there be? You manufacture and sell Isines with Cipher, IOS users are covered. It's everyone else who needs EQ presets.

ImI surprised you base your recommendations here from listening, and not measurements. Does Audeze not use dummy head with mics for development? I remember Sankar specifically mentioning it in an interview from years ago, he even said the price of this measuring equipment.

Has I known your EQ presets are done by ear, I wouldn't have asked you. I didn't PM you, because that would defeat the purpose of this thread. But I do understand your displeasure when company's shortcomings are pointed out in public. Lack of USB based equivalent of Cipher is a shortcoming, to put it very mildly. In fact, isine should be considered Apple only product, because out of the box only iPhone is compatible, if accurate Fr response is expected, and I do expect accurate Fr response from headphones. Cipher is integral part of Isines design. Not an additional convenience, it's essential part of the chain.

Again, thank you for reply!

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #4,842 of 7,348
As an aside, I think Audeze has previously stated that cipher actually was not part of the "chain" for the isine and was developed after the fact. Whitemouse, I completely agree with you that Cipher makes the experience easy, seamless and in many respects just plain better particularly for someone like me who does not have the time or know how to mess with a lot of these things. I did take the time to get a DAC, USB Audio Pro and parametric EQ set up following Kmanns settings and it was worth it. I switched to an iphone and it's just easier to use the iSine now although I'll bet my DF Red / Note 8 setup sounded better overall. The trade off and convenience of the cipher is valuable. I'm also inclined to take Audeze at their word that a cipher for Android is not doable. I can't believe they would leave money on the table as this thread is 322 pages long of people begging for one.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #4,844 of 7,348
Cipher cable has not even a great DAC chip, its nothing special, only a optimized DSP (EQ) tuned by audeze themself
If you are an ethusiast: Go buy a half decent dac if you know your stuff there is absolutely no reason for you to go for cipher, its way too praised around here for no reason

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #4,845 of 7,348
Cipher cable has not even a great DAC chip, its nothing special, only a optimized DSP (EQ) tuned by audeze themself
If you are an ethusiast: Go buy a half decent dac if you know your stuff there is absolutely no reason for you to go for cipher, its way too praised around here for no reason
My Sine sounds better with the standard cable any my own EQ, but for those days when I don't want my DAP+AMP/DAC+rubber bands, hooking up the Cipher cable to my iPhone or iPod or iPad is way more convenient. And it does sound pretty good. The Cipher cable is NOT overrated - it
party.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back