Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #4,817 of 7,352
Thank you for sharing your background and congrats on your purchase of iSine10s.

I have seen VOX mentioned a few times, but did not know it had parametric EQ options and the support of some streaming music (Spotify), a very good find. Good enough for me to try for $3.99.

I like the 5 band parametric EQ option they provide and the UI is very intuitive and simple.
  1. Go to settings -> Equalizer and Audio Settings -> EQ presets tab
  2. Choose Flat 5-band from the list (the one before the last, if you scroll down)
  3. Then select Prametric EQ. You will see >- O O O -<
  4. The first one is a Low shelf (LS) the middle three are Peak (P1, P2, P3) and the last one is a High shelf (HS) filter.
  5. You select each one in the order I listed below, when you select one it is highlighted in yellow and the Frequency , Gain and Q values will be shown on top.
  6. If you move the marker up or down, it affects the gain. If you move the marker sideways tor right or left, it changes the frequency and if you use pinch with two fingers away or towards each other it affects Q..
  7. Once you are done Save preset (bottom left)
Note that you need not be ultra precise, if the frequency is off by a little or similarly if the gain is off by .1dB it is also OK. Try to get Q to match the values I list and feel free to change it for your needs, it allows real-time adjustment of the EQ, which is nice.

LS: Gain 6 dB, Frequency 136.7Hz, Q 0.3
P1: Gain -1.5 dB, Frequency 1.45kHz, Q 1.2
P2: Gain 8 dB, Frequency 3kHz, Q 2.1
P3: Gain -5 dB, Frequency 10kHz, Q 5
HS: Gain 3dB, Frequency 13.3kHz, Q1

Thank you so much KMann!! Will try when home from work and report back!

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #4,818 of 7,352
Thank you for sharing your background and congrats on your purchase of iSine10s.

I have seen VOX mentioned a few times, but did not know it had parametric EQ options and the support of some streaming music (Spotify), a very good find. Good enough for me to try for $3.99.

I like the 5 band parametric EQ option they provide and the UI is very intuitive and simple.
  2. Choose Flat 5-band from the list (the one before the last, if you scroll down)
  4. The first one is a Low shelf (LS) the middle three are Peak (P1, P2, P3) and the last one is a High shelf (HS) filter.
  5. You select each one in the order I listed below, when you select one it is highlighted in yellow and the Frequency , Gain and Q values will be shown on top.
  6. If you move the marker up or down, it affects the gain. If you move the marker sideways tor right or left, it changes the frequency and if you use pinch with two fingers away or towards each other it affects Q..
Note that you need not be ultra precise, if the frequency is off by a little or similarly if the gain is off by .1dB it is also OK. Try to get Q to match the values I list and feel free to change it for your needs, it allows real-time adjustment of the EQ, which is nice.

P3: Gain -5 dB, Frequency 10kHz, Q 5

Just had a quick go before work. On P3 I can't get the Q to 5. 3 is the max?

Thank you KMann

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #4,820 of 7,352
Where can I get the earhooks for cheap? (buying from Audeze isn't an option because they only use FedEx which by itself is over 50$....)
They break rather easily...

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #4,821 of 7,352
@Hawaiibadboy ...Regarding the “ghetto cable” maybe @PETEREK can make a better one or check out the one Audeze makes for the LCDi4 https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/lcdi4-premium-braided-cable
Thank you bro!
You were correct. These are for the audiophile/power user.
I hope to have a custom cable before I do the review on Audioholikz :)
Peterek is the man.
Using these posts only as a point of discussion. Meant for all...

I can't attest to this cable. Don't have it. Had I realized this could be used with the iSine20 I may have bought it first. But I bought another very nice copper+silver cable from the seller LQi on eBay. What I can attest to is how much better my iSine20 sounds now that I use that.

Before my use of a computer as source with the Reveal plug-in to external DAC, I was only using my DAP, with EQ. I could never quite get the treble right with the stock cable. Always trying to reduce the 'crunchy/buzzy/staticy' sound of loud treble various tracks would have. And a real 'overload' sound I'd get when certain vocals would reach a crescendo; almost like the sound imparted from an iron core transformer that reached saturation; not actually of course, but reminiscent of it. All of this only when listening real loud. ...which I almost always do. -lol

Well point of this is, using a much better cable has neutralized those problems. I highly recommend a cable upgrade to everyone with an iSine. It's only the 2nd cable upgrade I've made. And the only one that had such a dramatic effect with a significant betterment to my enjoyment of the music.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #4,822 of 7,352
Second the cable upgrade. When I bought this 2nd hand the seller was kind enough to give an extra cable free. It feels quality but with balanced 2.5mm jack. I had to wait some time for an adapter to finally use the cable, the sound just got better. I'm using the 20s mostly with my LG G6plus, Waitng for the impedance plug to unlock the quad DAC into hi-gain.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #4,823 of 7,352
Just edited my post. I tried to get it as close to Cipher as possible. Q = 3.0 still sounds good.

Thank you my friend. Sounds much better. At first I thought they dropped to much in volume, like a veil. But realised VOX had an EQ Boost Compensation that was on. Once turned off, they came back to more suitable volume and veil lifted.

David

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #4,824 of 7,352
Thank you my friend. Sounds much better. At first I thought they dropped to much in volume, like a veil. But realised VOX had an EQ Boost Compensation that was on. Once turned off, they came back to more suitable volume and veil lifted.

David

The boost compensation is not a bad thing as it will prevent the possibility of clipping (more likely with low DR tracks or Bass heavy tracks). But as you noted it drops the volume. iSines are very easy to drive, you could leave the boost compensation on and increase the volume on your Mojo instead. If you do not notice any distortion/clipping then you can leave things as is.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4,825 of 7,352
The boost compensation is not a bad thing as it will prevent the possibility of clipping (more likely with low DR tracks or Bass heavy tracks). But as you noted it drops the volume. iSines are very easy to drive, you could leave the boost compensation on and increase the volume on your Mojo instead. If you do not notice any distortion/clipping then you can leave things as is.

Ok, I’ll try both on a good listening session later!

Can’t thank you enough.

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #4,826 of 7,352
Thanks Br777 for eq certainly an improvement.

Preamp: -7 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 7 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q .9
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 6 dB Q .1

Glad you like them, Try these, they're better:

Preamp: -8 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 3 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 1
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -8.5 dB Q 1.5
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q .4

Feb 7, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #4,827 of 7,352
Sorry if this question has already been answered but, how do I buy the V2 Cipher cable? I'm an owner of the iSine10 with cipher. I can't seem to find it on the Audeze website. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #4,828 of 7,352
Sorry if this question has already been answered but, how do I buy the V2 Cipher cable? I'm an owner of the iSine10 with cipher. I can't seem to find it on the Audeze website. Thanks.
Go to Accessories, then scroll to bottom of the page:
Cipher Lightning Cable for iSINE
$60 DISCOUNT for REGISTERED AUDEZE Headphone Owners. To receive your discount, enter the code “CIPHER” during checkout.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #4,829 of 7,352
Awesome, Thank you!

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #4,830 of 7,352

P3: Gain -5 dB, Frequency 10kHz, Q 3

Edited: Q, Max supported by VOX is 3

KMann,
thank you very much for advice here, coming from one of Audeze developers, your recommended EQ presets are a gift for non ipeople, and really the only valid, researched recommendation. My own EQ preference is just that, my own, and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

It's been asked here several times before, but you haven't given an answer, what EQ preset would you use with Android app Poweramp? It is widely regarded as one of the best music player apps. Many, many people here use it.

Would you consider tuning Poweramp's EQ to sound as close to Cipher as possible? Please!

This thread has different people with very different preset recommendations, even people who achieve better sound by replacing headphone cable. It is impossible now to take seriously anyone's recommendation, other than yours, because you are an Audeze engineer. So it would really help many here, if you gave Android Poweramp a try, and post EQ here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back