Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Aug 23, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3,346 of 7,348
[
I assume you intend to use ToneBooster that offers 6 bands of parametric EQ.
  1. Start with the EQ I posted here
  2. Since you can only enter 6 bands, in the above EQ (EQ-V1) choose bands 1,2,4,8,9,10.
  3. Enter the Gain, Frequency and Q values in Tone booster.
  4. For filter type, choose 'High shelf' for bands 1 and 10 in EQ-V1 and choose 'Analog bell' for bands 2, 4,8 and 9
This should get you quite close to a neutral. You can then adjust bass using band 1.
Use bands 2 and 9 to increase or decrease energy in the upper-mids.

2. Since you can only enter 6 bands, in the above EQ (EQ-V1) choose bands 1,2,4,8,9,10.
  4. For filter type, choose 'High shelf' for bands 1 and 10 in EQ-V1 and choose 'Analog bell' for bands 2, 4,8 and 9
This should get you quite close to a neutral. You can then adjust bass using band 1.

Thank you very much for this. I can't seem to figure out how to select the bands. It only says 1-6. Also, the app is really frustrating at least going through USB. It's tiny and everything is by hand. I can't input numbers directly? Weird.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out. Thanks. I think I have it working now.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,347 of 7,348
Is the best way to increase base and mids to just adjust the gain?

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,348 of 7,348
Is the best way to increase base and mids to just adjust the gain?
Yes. To increase base, increase band 1 gain in negative direction. i.e. say from -5dB to -7dB. For upper mids in positive direction.

If you think the bass is bleeding into the mids, you can increase Q on the base this will make the bass to increase in a steep fashion rather than the gradualy

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,350 of 7,348
KMann, does the tuning of the i4 mimic that of the iSine 20 (non-cipher)? I find the iSine 20 out of my iPhone 6S+ 3.5mm quite terrible (yes, terrible) and it's like a completely different headphone compared to when used with the Cipher cable. I currently own the iSine 20 with Cipher and it's nothing short of amazing (still experimenting with using earlocks/earhooks and the different sized tips), but with all these people saying the i4 is simply leagues ahead and superlative compared to the iSine 20 I can't help but be curious as to just how much better it is. I know all about how it's all diminishing returns etc., so I'll definitely temper my expectations when I audition it this weekend, but perhaps you can offer your honest opinion?

My set up is quite pathetic (space constraints). I have an iPhone, a computer and a Chord Mojo. If I were to buy the i4, it would have to be better driven just straight out of the iPhone than the iSine 20 (maybe not Cipher-level good, but just impressive enough to justify its price tag) for portable situations (which I admit aren't that frequent) and very, very much more amazing when driven out of the Chord Mojo without having to fiddle with EQ. I don't mind EQing -- but I just prefer not to, since there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it with the i4 (as compared to the iSine).

I know that the i4 has an incredibly high ceiling where you keep upgrading the source/amp and it gives more and more, but I'm not quite in a position for that just yet. As long as it's way better out of the Mojo vs iSine 20 Cipher, I think I'll be placing an order. Then eventually I'll get a Hugo 2, etc. to really make it shine.

No i4 and iSine10/20 do not share the same tuning but share some of the 'genes'. i4s will be harder to drive out of the iPhone (higher impedance) they need a good source to shine, to me i4s sound better out of mojo than iSines out of Cipher, but we are really comparing apples and oranges here as tonally iSines out of Cipher are different from i4s out of Mojo.

ps: I avoid providing sonic impressions and risk sounding like marketing material. There are many headfiers who have tried both or upgraded from iSines to i4. You may get a good response by posting this question on i4 thread.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #3,351 of 7,348
No i4 and iSine10/20 do not share the same tuning but share some of the 'genes'. i4s will be harder to drive out of the iPhone (higher impedance) they need a good source to shine, to me i4s sound better out of mojo than iSines out of Cipher, but we are really comparing apples and oranges here as tonally iSines out of Cipher are different from i4s out of Mojo.

ps: I avoid providing sonic impressions and risk sounding like marketing material. There are many headfiers who have tried both or upgraded from iSines to i4. You may get a good response by posting this question on i4 thread.

Understood, thanks! I'll find out for myself this weekend -- shop is getting a demo unit in. :D

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3,352 of 7,348
I finally got around to putting some dsd128 audio files on my fiio x5 3rd gen - sounds great with the isine 10 ( even though no eq is allowed with these type of fies on the fiio ) I don't really listed to cipher cable with my ipod any more - it sounds good but there are better sound options available with the stock cable and different dac's / amp's

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,353 of 7,348
Deleted

Attachments

• IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    851.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #3,356 of 7,348
Spiral Dots fit but it's tight and needs a bit of effort to put them on.

In my experience foam tips (mostly complys) absorb a part of the energy and appears to roll off the highs.

IMG_3636.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,358 of 7,348
Another reason not to use comply foam is that it doesn't last long and you end up spending more. What I like with the spiral does is that they are short length and huge opening which don't obstruction to the signal. It allows you to hear everything that goes out of the nozzle of the iem. They also have more size options which allows you to get the best fit depending on the iem. For me, I have the M and ML sizes fit best depending on the iem.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,359 of 7,348
I did another demo of LCDi4 from a different audio shop. This time with iSine20 on cypher cable in the mix. The shop has few people and a more quiet. My initial impression on LCDi4 didn't change. I think it is really not for me. For it's technical advantages, it just sound too weird and fatiguing for me

On the other hand the iSine 20 on cypher cable is quite impressive. It feels a bit more fuller and detailed than 10. However, it's still as bad as I can remember using the standard cable while the iSine10 sounds more natural. When I listen to the intro of the track "Misfits" by third eye blind it renders the bass and sub bass like a full headphone which reminds me like the aeon. It has that huge impact and rumble that I can feel The decay is just right. Not too fast or too slow. On LCDi4 the decay is too fast making it again sound unnatural and thin.

I will give it another try for a thorough comparison between the 10 and 20 on cypher cable. It still felt like the 10 is still a better value because for me it sounds very good on both cypher and standard cable.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,360 of 7,348

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 7.52.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 7.52.46 PM.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back