Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,316 of 7,352
I listened to the iSine 10 or 20 I believe and I was super impressed with them for the price they are asking. Now I'm curious how their more expensive models sound though.

But since they offer 0% isolation, it's probably not something that I will buy (which is the reason why I got rid of my Apple Earpods).

If Audeze can make a closed version with good isolation, then they got a winner at their respective price levels.

I also want to see a closed version.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,317 of 7,352
Well, I've been trying hard to get the iSine20 to sound good to me. Using iTunes might no give the granular control over eq, but I thought I would start there. I'm using a Bimby and a Taurus Mk2 amp to the iSine for this testing. I've tried to replicate some of the EQ settings here. Some are ridiculously dark/warm. The one that I'm currently on is this:

9934912_l.png

I'm not completely happy with it. The sound is still just not tonally right, but I cannot quite pinpoint the problem. Maybe I'm just too used my full size cans (Utopia) and I'll never get same signature with the iSine20 without the Cipher cable. Any thoughts?

If you are using iTunes or other simple EQ to EQ these, what are your settings?

Edit. This setting is sounding better to me:
9934913_l.png

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #3,318 of 7,352
Well, I've been trying hard to get the iSine20 to sound good to me. Using iTunes might no give the granular control over eq, but I thought I would start there. I'm using a Bimby and a Taurus Mk2 amp to the iSine for this testing. I've tried to replicate some of the EQ settings here. Some are ridiculously dark/warm. The one that I'm currently on is this:

9934912_l.png

I'm not completely happy with it. The sound is still just not tonally right, but I cannot quite pinpoint the problem. Maybe I'm just too used my full size cans (Utopia) and I'll never get same signature with the iSine20 without the Cipher cable. Any thoughts?

9934913_l.png
Why don't you use AU Lab?

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #3,319 of 7,352
Why don't you use AU Lab?
I certainly could (note the instructions in my sig :)
bu that wouldn't translate to the iPhone. if I were to use the iSine20, I would us it at work with the my iPhone, so I need the EQ setting to be portable. The Cipher cable is probably the way to go, but I was just curious what others are doing with the standard cable and the iPhone or iTunes.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,320 of 7,352
I certainly could (note the instructions in my sig :)
bu that wouldn't translate to the iPhone. if I were to use the iSine20, I would us it at work with the my iPhone, so I need the EQ setting to be portable. The Cipher cable is probably the way to go, but I was just curious what others are doing with the standard cable and the iPhone or iTunes.
I see.
I have the iSine10 (Apple version) and don't use the Cipher cable (no iDevice). I use a third party cable (for comfort reasons) and parametric EQ. Since I currently need 11 bands, which is even more than what is supported by Rockbox, I use sox for portable players.
In summary, I would say I can't help. :triportsad:

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,321 of 7,352
I picked up a fiio x5 3rd gen the other day, upgraded from the x5 2nd edition - currently listening to some dsd128 music test tracks i downloaded and it sounds fantastic. Now I know what you guys mean when you say they can compete against full size headphones - every other combo of dac and amp that I tired my full sized headphones sounded a lot better - now my hifiman 400s and akg kxxs sound very close to the isine 10 on this dap

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #3,322 of 7,352

9934912_l.png

9934913_l.png
You may have to start a thread "listening to headphones AFTER the Utopia..." ha but I found the isine to be really enjoyable. If you don't have a need for the portability then that might change your opinion of it though. But for people who want something portable I think it holds it ground.

What in particular sound wise are you looking for btw?

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #3,323 of 7,352
You may have to start a thread "listening to headphones AFTER the Utopia..." ha but I found the isine to be really enjoyable. If you don't have a need for the portability then that might change your opinion of it though. But for people who want something portable I think it holds it ground.

What in particular sound wise are you looking for btw?

Just a tonally balanced, slightly fun sound. The iSine 20 with a standard cable is very warm and veiled. EQ helps. It's bass is retry good, and the form factor is interesting.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #3,324 of 7,352

9934912_l.png

9934913_l.png
If you are open to trying players other than iTunes on a iDevice, then the Neutron player has a much more potent Parametric EQ. You will be able to plugin the values and get results very close to the Cipher cable or warmer variants. I have posted those here. Alternately, you can also try the HQ player that has a interface similar to a graphic EQ, but is much more flexible. Since iSines are like 'putty' when its comes to being able to modify their FR, you can get them to match any headphone you want tonally without worrying about audible distortion or congested sound stage. Typical 10 band EQ as the one you shown above are only one octave wide and are not accurate enough to produce satisfactory results if you are striving for perfection.

Edit: Love your instructions for systemwide EQ on Mac posted in your signature.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,325 of 7,352
Just a tonally balanced, slightly fun sound. The iSine 20 with a standard cable is very warm and veiled. EQ helps. It's bass is retry good, and the form factor is interesting.

I think I know what you mean. I also heard an uneveness in the tonal balance. But for the price these things costs, I hear a good value for money.

Maybe try out their TOTL LCD i4 perhaps? I haven't heard that one yet, but if their cheap IEM's sound this good already, then the LCD i4 must be super amazing.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,326 of 7,352
If you are open to trying players other than iTunes on a iDevice, then the Neutron player has a much more potent Parametric EQ. You will be able to plugin the values and get results very close to the Cipher cable or warmer variants. I have posted those here. Alternately, you can also try the HQ player that has a interface similar to a graphic EQ, but is much more flexible. Since iSines are like 'putty' when its comes to being able to modify their FR, you can get them to match any headphone you want tonally without worrying about audible distortion or congested sound stage. Typical 10 band EQ as the one you shown above are only one octave wide and are not accurate enough to produce satisfactory results if you are striving for perfection.

Edit: Love your instructions for systemwide EQ on Mac posted in your signature.
Thanks.

I will try to see if I can get a sound I like using parametric EQ on my Mac and the suggested settings earlier in this thread first. The iSine sure is interesting, and I would like to like it. In the long run, headphones might work better for me.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,329 of 7,352
I think having the isine10 spoils the LCDi4 for me. Tried the i4 today and while it is clearly better than the iSine10. it's not exactly miles away. It's more like hearing 2 different headphones but equally unique for an in-ear. soundstage and presentation is like no other iems can match. The LCDi4 do resolve more details but it seems too much for some recordings. While the iSine10 maintains the fun listening experience no matter what music I throw at it. The iSine10 with the cipher cable plus my iPhone7 makes a very impressive portable audiophile setup. (The latest Hiby Music app puts the current DAPs to shame in terms of UI and navigation)

It makes me rethink my position as far as portable audiophile system goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back