Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Aug 26, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,376 of 7,352
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I'm not currently using the 3.5mm cable at all but I really dislike both the Cipher and 3.5mm cables. Not a fan of flat cables in general, and they just feel really, really cheap. I wonder if it's possible to re-cable the Cipher cable...

I like braided cables that feel like the Westone EPICs or JH Audio Siren Series 4-pins (though it's quite thick). That premium braided cable that the LCD i4 ships with is really nice too, but it costs as much as an iSine 10...

I don't really buy into the whole cable affecting sound thing (so long they're not extremely garbage $5 cables), so it's all about the comfort/looks for me.

I don't either - but be warned that this cable does sound different from stock. Drier and brighter. But it's also so much softer and more supple...

I'm usually quite unfussy about cables. I also have the Audeze Sine and I don't even mind the flat cable on that one - it's thicker and sturdier which I suppose somehow makes it more manageable.

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,377 of 7,352
It's here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...909.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.5ce5139ezWSu2a

I've never been a cable whore, I swear - just that the thick, unruly iSine cable managed to annoy me enough to want to search for an affordable alternative!

ETA - Just checked and the cable section is also back on their own website:
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=16
There are many more options for customisation there but if you just want the basic stuff, the Aliexpress link is good.
Is your TRRS or TRS? In the pic shown it has both.

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,378 of 7,352
I don't either - but be warned that this cable does sound different from stock. Drier and brighter. But it's also so much softer and more supple...

I'm usually quite unfussy about cables. I also have the Audeze Sine and I don't even mind the flat cable on that one - it's thicker and sturdier which I suppose somehow makes it more manageable.

That's a good thing. The stock 3.5mm out of my iPhone makes the iSine 20 sound like a different headphone altogether; with bloated mids and generally terrible. If I never heard them with a Cipher cable, I'd have never bought it. Thus the only use the 3.5mm cable will be getting is if I'm playing music out of my computer with identical EQ settings as it'd be with the Cipher cable through a Mojo.

I'm thinking of getting a Sine, too. If I do, I'll definitely get braided cables just like for my iSine, though I do agree with you that the Sine's cable is thicker and sturdier. Have you done any experimentation with changing the earpads, by the way? I've been reading the Sine thread and thought those earpads that make them over-ear (can't remember the maker) to be quite interesting.

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,380 of 7,352
That's a good thing. The stock 3.5mm out of my iPhone makes the iSine 20 sound like a different headphone altogether; with bloated mids and generally terrible. If I never heard them with a Cipher cable, I'd have never bought it. Thus the only use the 3.5mm cable will be getting is if I'm playing music out of my computer with identical EQ settings as it'd be with the Cipher cable through a Mojo.

I'm thinking of getting a Sine, too. If I do, I'll definitely get braided cables just like for my iSine, though I do agree with you that the Sine's cable is thicker and sturdier. Have you done any experimentation with changing the earpads, by the way? I've been reading the Sine thread and thought those earpads that make them over-ear (can't remember the maker) to be quite interesting.

Yeah, agree. I personally dislike those bloated/honky mids too, but some folks don't care for drier and brighter sound, so I thought I'd better put it out there. You might want to explore the veclan link in the earlier post as well - they offer Litz and Junkosha cables in addition to the basic ones.

I did do some pad-rolling with the Sines and this is what worked for me and what didn't:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-sine-series.793518/page-228#post-13398711
Tl;dr - the MSR7 pads are still on my Sines. Sonically they're a decent balance - there is a bit of trade-off but it's close enough to stock, and much more comfortable.
I got them from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...chnica-ATH-MSR7-MSR-7-Headphone-/172810706312
But if the stock pads don't bother you, they are probably still the best option. I'd try to live with those before sinking money into exploring any of the other options in the Sine thread.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #3,381 of 7,352
It's not exactly the cipher. Which is difficult to get 100% as is with the limited filters in LPGs PMEQ. But I think the low end is the easiest to copy as it's just a 6dB upward slope.

You can try this settings. If you find it too bright cut 1 or 2 dB for filters 3 and 4.

FilterGroupGain
-15dB
Filter1
150.0Hz/+6dB/LSF/0.2
Filter2
1000Hz/-9dB/BPF/1.0
Filter3
9000Hz/+12dB/BPF/0.7
Filter4
8000Hz/+3dB/BPF/0.8
Filter5
9500Hz/-12dB/HSF/0.2

Set the gain switch to High.

Tell us your impressions afterwards.

Here's another variation which is less brighter.
FilterGroupGain
-15dB
Filter1
150.0Hz/+6dB/LSF/0.2
Filter2
1000Hz/-9dB/BPF/1.0
Filter3
6000Hz/+12dB/BPF/1.0
Filter4
8000Hz/+6dB/BPF/0.8
Filter5
9500Hz/-12dB/HSF/0.2

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #3,382 of 7,352
It's not exactly the cipher. Which is difficult to get 100% as is with the limited filters in LPGs PMEQ. But I think the low end is the easiest to copy as it's just a 6dB upward slope.

You can try this settings. If you find it too bright cut 1 or 2 dB for filters 3 and 4.

FilterGroupGain
-15dB
Filter1
150.0Hz/+6dB/LSF/0.2
Filter2
1000Hz/-9dB/BPF/1.0
Filter3
9000Hz/+12dB/BPF/0.7
Filter4
8000Hz/+3dB/BPF/0.8
Filter5
9500Hz/-12dB/HSF/0.2

Set the gain switch to High.

Tell us your impressions afterwards.
@headwhacker Thanks for sharing these settings for the benefit of everyone. I noticed that Filter3 has a center frequency of 9000Hz in your settings, is this intentional or did you mean 3000Hz?

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #3,383 of 7,352
@headwhacker Thanks for sharing these settings for the benefit of everyone. I noticed that Filter3 has a center frequency of 9000Hz in your settings, is this intentional or did you mean 3000Hz?

It's intentional, my goal is to attenuate the 500Hz to 2Khz area and lift 2.5Khz to 9Khz. Then attenuate the rest from 10Khz. I find the Q factor of 1 in LPG not narrow enough that is why I have the center frequency that high. It is a bit brighter and energetic in high treble than normal and may not be enjoyable to many. So I have this variation with the narrowest Q factor and the center freq. at 6Khz. Just trying to avoid lifting 2Khz and down

FilterGroupGain
-15dB
Filter1
150.0Hz/+6dB/LSF/0.2
Filter2
1000Hz/-9dB/BPF/1.0
Filter3
6000Hz/+12dB/BPF/1.0
Filter4
8000Hz/+6dB/BPF/0.8
Filter5
9500Hz/-12dB/HSF/0.2

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #3,385 of 7,352
Hi KMann,
With referred to above messages, I would like to let you know that I finally purchased iSine 20 a few days ago. : )

Hello there,

I've been reading through this thread for a while now finalising on purchasing the iSine 20. Your discussions with @KMann seem to answer my query with regard to my setup, which is a Mojo driven via coaxial out of FiiO X3 (1st gen).

So I'm more keen on knowing your early impressions of the isine20 with your setup.

Thanks and cheers

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #3,386 of 7,352
Hello there,

I've been reading through this thread for a while now finalising on purchasing the iSine 20. Your discussions with @KMann seem to answer my query with regard to my setup, which is a Mojo driven via coaxial out of FiiO X3 (1st gen).

So I'm more keen on knowing your early impressions of the isine20 with your setup.

Thanks and cheers

I have a Mojo too, but driven via USB out of a computer. It's an amazing combination, even better if you use an equaliser to emulate the Cipher's cable's EQ.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #3,388 of 7,352
These sounds terrible. Seriously overpriced crap. Yeah, EQ this thing. Of course it needs a DSP. Overpriced crap. Keep raising your prices on overpriced crap Audeze.

I lost trust in Audeze.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,389 of 7,352
These sounds terrible. Seriously overpriced crap. Yeah, EQ this thing. Of course it needs a DSP. Overpriced crap. Keep raising your prices on overpriced crap Audeze.

I lost trust in Audeze.
To each there own. But to say these are crap, these sound absolutely amazing! You must be doing something wrong, did you even stick them in your ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back