Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Aug 26, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #3,361 of 7,352
Ok after trying my own Hugo + AK120 setup on LCDi4 I decided to go for iSine20. I think I can get the EQ to make it as close as possible with cipher cable using my LPG which is the only DAP I know with a very competent EQ. AK DAPs have poor EQ. I

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #3,362 of 7,352
So Android phones are not recommended to sound it's best(since it doesn't have lightening connector?) Must be with lightening connectors? So, iphones only?

There is some special dsp(or built in dac/amp) that work best for it that only works through lightening connector(iphones only?).

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #3,363 of 7,352
Is there a special app that runs for it, so an ipod with lightning connector is not good? Also for desktop use, must be Apple computer with lightning connector is best I'm assuming.

Why not an Android version with DSP?

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #3,364 of 7,352
No app required, although with the Audeze app you can tweak the eq. iPod with Lightning connector is perfect. Unfortunately there is no way to have a Mac with a Lightning connector

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,365 of 7,352
Ah, sorry about that. I've only just been able to look at their website on desktop & it seems that their basic cable section is now offline for upgrading.
Let us know what you think of the Aliexpress one when you get it!

Got my cable from Aliexpress yesterday. I share your impression about this cable making sound dry and I like it. When I listened to Stacey Kent's "Dreamer in Concert", I could hear the double bass sound fast and lean. Listening to Ondekoza'a Fujiyama is also a treat - the response of flute and drum sound is very fast. Thank your for your recommendation!

IMG_4339.JPG

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,366 of 7,352
Is there a special app that runs for it, so an ipod with lightning connector is not good? Also for desktop use, must be Apple computer with lightning connector is best I'm assuming.

Why not an Android version with DSP?
I think Audeze is planning to release an Android version of the DSP soon. For the mean time you need a DAP with competent EQ. So far I am playing with LPGs PEQ and I like what I'm hearing with iSine20. the iSine was design to be tweaked to your personal liking.

Using Tyll's measurement as guide to scalp the FR curve on the 20. I think I found one which sound better than cypher. Though I'm still trying out as many genre as I can.

AK Daps suck at EQ.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,367 of 7,352
@vr1 -- Thanks for your interest in iSine20. iSine20 and iSine10 were designed from the ground up for use out of the best source you can drive them with. We designed the Cipher cable for use as a very easy to use, portable solution for those who do not wish to carry yet another brick (DAC/Amp).

Since the iSines haver close to negligible distortion even at high SPL, we felt we could take it one step further by also adding an EQ to the Cipher cable. I have posted the the EQ used in the Cipher cable in this thread and some variants. Many in this thread have also suggested their own variations to the EQ for use with android devices or through PC or MAC desktop setups.

You do not need the Cipher cable to achieve the best results, but it is a convenient option if you happen to use an iDevice. Many are also happy with iSines20 without the need for any EQ when paired with a good source. It is hard to directly compare the standard cable with the Cipher cable and deciding one is better than the other without describing the source used to drive.

Please feel free to contact me if you need a suggestion based on your setup.

Hi KMann,
With referred to above messages, I would like to let you know that I finally purchased iSine 20 a few days ago. : )

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #3,368 of 7,352
Got my cable from Aliexpress yesterday. I share your impression about this cable making sound dry and I like it. When I listened to Stacey Kent's "Dreamer in Concert", I could hear the double bass sound fast and lean. Listening to Ondekoza'a Fujiyama is also a treat - the response of flute and drum sound is very fast. Thank your for your recommendation!

Hey there, would you mind sharing the link for this cable? Looking to replace the stock 3.5mm cable which I really dislike with something affordable.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,369 of 7,352
Is the newer iSine2 have a slightly different tonality using the standard cable compared first batch. The latest iSine20 seems to have a fuller bass and this is not what I remembered when I tried the iSine20 from the first batch.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,370 of 7,352
Anyway, I had fun trying out different EQ settings using LPG with iSine20. Without the cipher the 20 can be as good if not better than with cipher. Just exhausted but completely satisfied. If anyone with LPG interested I can share a few EQs I tried which makes iSine20 sound really good with the standard cable.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,371 of 7,352
Anyway, I had fun trying out different EQ settings using LPG with iSine20. Without the cipher the 20 can be as good if not better than with cipher. Just exhausted but completely satisfied. If anyone with LPG interested I can share a few EQs I tried which makes iSine20 sound really good with the standard cable.

I wouldn't mind if you passed it on... I have both and have been trying and failing to duplicate the Cipher response. So I would definitely appreciate any guidance

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #3,372 of 7,352
I wouldn't mind if you passed it on... I have both and have been trying and failing to duplicate the Cipher response. So I would definitely appreciate any guidance

It's not exactly the cipher. Which is difficult to get 100% as is with the limited filters in LPGs PMEQ. But I think the low end is the easiest to copy as it's just a 6dB upward slope.

You can try this settings. If you find it too bright cut 1 or 2 dB for filters 3 and 4.

FilterGroupGain
-15dB
Filter1
150.0Hz/+6dB/LSF/0.2
Filter2
1000Hz/-9dB/BPF/1.0
Filter3
9000Hz/+12dB/BPF/0.7
Filter4
8000Hz/+3dB/BPF/0.8
Filter5
9500Hz/-12dB/HSF/0.2

Set the gain switch to High.

Tell us your impressions afterwards.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,373 of 7,352

Glad you like the new cable! I'm going to try their SPC (silver-plated copper) cable next.

I picked up the VE Monk Plus SPC and I like what it does to the stock Monk Plus sound (cleaner, more detailed highs and mids) so it will be interesting to see what effect the cable has on my iSines.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,374 of 7,352
Hey there, would you mind sharing the link for this cable? Looking to replace the stock 3.5mm cable which I really dislike with something affordable.

It's here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...909.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.5ce5139ezWSu2a

I've never been a cable whore, I swear - just that the thick, unruly iSine cable managed to annoy me enough to want to search for an affordable alternative!

ETA - Just checked and the cable section is also back on their own website:
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=16
There are many more options for customisation there but if you just want the basic stuff, the Aliexpress link is good.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,375 of 7,352
It's here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...909.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.5ce5139ezWSu2a

I've never been a cable whore, I swear - just that the thick, unruly iSine cable managed to annoy me enough to want to search for an affordable alternative!

ETA - Just checked and the cable section is also back on their own website:
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=16
There are many more options for customisation there but if you just want the basic stuff, the Aliexpress link is good.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I'm not currently using the 3.5mm cable at all but I really dislike both the Cipher and 3.5mm cables. Not a fan of flat cables in general, and they just feel really, really cheap. I wonder if it's possible to re-cable the Cipher cable...

I like braided cables that feel like the Westone EPICs or JH Audio Siren Series 4-pins (though it's quite thick). That premium braided cable that the LCD i4 ships with is really nice too, but it costs as much as an iSine 10...

I don't really buy into the whole cable affecting sound thing (so long they're not extremely garbage $5 cables), so it's all about the comfort/looks for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back