Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Mar 16, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #436 of 652
Every time I think of putting these up 4 sale and getting an Ether C Flow or something else that can be driven by my Mojo, impressions like this smack me upside the head to remind me I do have nice stuff already.

Yeah, I don't know that the grass gets much greener unless you reach DEEEEEEEEP in pockets. Remembering the law of diminishing returns may not be as exciting as that very brief moment of expectation of something new, but it sure helps prevent remorse :)

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #437 of 652
  I'm very impressed with the deckard performance/sound and have been using it with lcd-x, elear and p9 headphones, but I was very disappointed to see that it's made in china. I had assumed that it was made in the USA as many of audeze's products are, I probably would have bought the jotunheim if I had known this beforehand.

I've never heard the jotunheim, but I've heard a lot of good things about it and it appears to be more compact. The deckard sounds great and the build quality is excellent, but I would have happily paid more for an american made version.

???

What is wrong with made in China?  Isn't it a good product?

????

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #438 of 652
I am a proud Deckard owner and have been using it as my amp and dac for about 4 months now.  I just picked up a Metrum Musette NOS DAC.  I have my Musette plugged into The Deckard using RCA interconnects and the difference is unbelievable.  The Musette has completely opened up my music in a way I wasn't expecting.  I have learned a couple things about my Deckard.  First, the DAC is really good for an all in one at this price range.  Second, the amp section is significantly better than the DAC portion.  Third, when only powering the amp section, therre is significantly more power and headroom with the volume pot.  The difference is staggering.  The amp has just completely come alive with a better DAC.  I am finding this hobby to have no end.  Each time I try something new, I am able to hear my music in a different way.  I am so glad I have a Deckard and that I am able to try it in different incarnations.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #439 of 652
Thanks for the post, also a proud Deckard owner.

I agree that the deckard is a fantastic piece of kit. The USB DAC isn't my favorite part of it, but it is still good and appreciated... The amp section is indeed amazing. Literally stopped buying amps once I got the Deckard, and have no interest in changing out my amp, since the deckard sounds so darn amazing. Maybe one day I will look into grabbing an alternative DAC for it like you did.

But yeah, this thing rocks. The sound it makes is simply beautiful and I must say, it just mates beautifully with planars (HE-500 ftw). Hats off to Audeze on this amp, they really created something special.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #440 of 652
  Thanks for the post, also a proud Deckard owner.

I agree that the deckard is a fantastic piece of kit. The USB DAC isn't my favorite part of it, but it is still good and appreciated... The amp section is indeed amazing. Literally stopped buying amps once I got the Deckard, and have no interest in changing out my amp, since the deckard sounds so darn amazing. Maybe one day I will look into grabbing an alternative DAC for it like you did.

But yeah, this thing rocks. The sound it makes is simply beautiful and I must say, it just mates beautifully with planars (HE-500 ftw). Hats off to Audeze on this amp, they really created something special.

Thanks Twerk.  I completely agree that the Deckard shines with planars.  My Alpha Primes just sing with the Deckard.  I didn't think I would ever buy another amp either, and 2 weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a Wells Audio Milo with the Khozmo Attenuator.  However, I will not part with my Deckard.  It will be going to my office as I cannot part with it.  The only challenge I have with my Deckard is that it doesn't make my ZMF Omni's sing to their full potential.  They sound good, but need more power to be willed into submission.  

If you go the DAC route, get a Musette.  I bought it from Zach at ZMF.  For the money, I don't think there is a better DAC.  

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #441 of 652
I do have a question for you, since I am not knowledgeable on DAC's at all...

How would you describe the DAC section of the Deckard, generally speaking? I find at times the sound can be a bit hot using this USB DAC depending on my headphone choice. This is only certain headphones, not all of them (like my T1). I think it is because the T1 has a bit of a hot top end to start. I think I would prefer a DAC which is just a little smoother. (When I switch to a cheap alternative DAC, it seems I lose just a bit of detail and resolution, but it becomes smoother and less fatiguing at the top end and I enjoy it).

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #443 of 652
  I do have a question for you, since I am not knowledgeable on DAC's at all...

How would you describe the DAC section of the Deckard, generally speaking? I find at times the sound can be a bit hot using this USB DAC depending on my headphone choice. This is only certain headphones, not all of them (like my T1). I think it is because the T1 has a bit of a hot top end to start. I think I would prefer a DAC which is just a little smoother. (When I switch to a cheap alternative DAC, it seems I lose just a bit of detail and resolution, but it becomes smoother and less fatiguing at the top end and I enjoy it).

I find the Deckard DAC to be really good overall.  I do find that the treble can be a touch shouty.  That was the reason I bought the Musette. It made it difficult for me to set the volume right.  I would get fatigue when listening at the volume I like for rocking out.  When listening at moderate to low levels, I found it wonderful.  However, the Musette has completely rid my system of any feeling of upper mid shoutiness and everything now sounds a bit more analog.  The DAC is good, the AMP is stellar. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #444 of 652
Mar 25, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #445 of 652
  I am a proud Deckard owner and have been using it as my amp and dac for about 4 months now.  I just picked up a Metrum Musette NOS DAC.  I have my Musette plugged into The Deckard using RCA interconnects and the difference is unbelievable.  The Musette has completely opened up my music in a way I wasn't expecting.  I have learned a couple things about my Deckard.  First, the DAC is really good for an all in one at this price range.  Second, the amp section is significantly better than the DAC portion.  Third, when only powering the amp section, therre is significantly more power and headroom with the volume pot.  The difference is staggering.  The amp has just completely come alive with a better DAC.  I am finding this hobby to have no end.  Each time I try something new, I am able to hear my music in a different way.  I am so glad I have a Deckard and that I am able to try it in different incarnations.

I love reading this post! We've all probably had a similar moment with audio equipment--where all the money & the hassle are suddenly totally worth it.

After all, this hobby begins & ends with music, so when the music really comes alive, life is good.

I've been lurking here for some time, interested in the Deckard. My amp journey has taken me in the balanced direction...just bought 2 (reportedly) excellent balanced amps. So my interest in the Deckard will be back-burner for awhile, but someday I hope to hear it.

Re the Musette NOS DAC, I tried hard to get one of these used. After a few months I gave up & went with and Audio GD NOS 19. It's a quiet/calm revelation to me. I hear "digital" so differently now. NOS & R2R are perfect for my sonic tastes. The highest compliment I can pay this technology is that once the NOS 19 burned in (many 100s of hours), I stopped thinking about the DAC entirely. I take it for granted, rely on it, don't even think about changing DACs.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #446 of 652

I love reading this post! We've all probably had a similar moment with audio equipment--where all the money & the hassle are suddenly totally worth it.

After all, this hobby begins & ends with music, so when the music really comes alive, life is good.

I've been lurking here for some time, interested in the Deckard. My amp journey has taken me in the balanced direction...just bought 2 (reportedly) excellent balanced amps. So my interest in the Deckard will be back-burner for awhile, but someday I hope to hear it.

Re the Musette NOS DAC, I tried hard to get one of these used. After a few months I gave up & went with and Audio GD NOS 19. It's a quiet/calm revelation to me. I hear "digital" so differently now. NOS & R2R are perfect for my sonic tastes. The highest compliment I can pay this technology is that once the NOS 19 burned in (many 100s of hours), I stopped thinking about the DAC entirely. I take it for granted, rely on it, don't even think about changing DACs.

Pharmaboy, thank you so much for your kind words.  I am on day 1 with my Musette, so to think that a month from now the sound will only continue to improve has me giddy.  I almost bought the NOS 19, but a friend talked me into the Musette.  From the first notes, I knew I had made a good decision; not necessarily the right decision as I don't think I would have felt differently with the NOS 19.  Truth be told, I bought a Wells Audio Milo 2 weeks ago.  It has yet to arrive.  I have no plans of selling my Deckard, as my emotional bond to it is too great right now.  If you are ever ready to try one, reach out to me.  You don't seem to be in a hurry, and neither am I.  So the timing on that day may just be right for both of us.  I treat my components like children.  It is and will remain in perfect condition.

I finally understand first hand what it means when I read that something sounds more analog than digital.  Thank you again for your comments.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #447 of 652

Musette..$1300... Any cheaper options for those who just wanna test the waters for a DAC outside what the Deckard comes with?

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #448 of 652
Musette..$1300... Any cheaper options for those who just wanna test the waters for a DAC outside what the Deckard comes with?

The NOS 19 is under $900 and is an incredible dac. The Deckard's dac is no slouch. It punches above its price. I would look at audio-gd dacs as they go from $500 or so up to $2000 and make an incredible product.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #449 of 652

As a starting point, you can try a Schiit Modi Multibit (Mimby) at $250.

From there, you can go to Bifrost Multibit (Bimby) at $600, and then Gungnir Multibit (Gumby) at $1,250. Prices are for new, MSRP. You can get them used for slightly less, as these are at high demand

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #450 of 652
As a starting point, you can try a Schiit Modi Multibit (Mimby) at $250.

From there, you can go to Bifrost Multibit (Bimby) at $600, and then Gungnir Multibit (Gumby) at $1,250. Prices are for new, MSRP. You can get them used for slightly less, as these are at high demand

Thyname is right. However, I do not believe the mimby or bimby would be an upgrade to the Deckard's dac. I do believe to Gumby would be. The Deckard's DAC is good. So are the mimby and bimby. The Gumby is a great DAC equal to the Musette in quality, albeit a different sound sig... IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back