Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Feb 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #421 of 652
So I was doing my A/B and I had a newly acquainted friend/customer come in and he told me to listen to "Eve of Destruction" by Barry Maguire. Never heard it before but excellent track lyrically. Sound quality was so so ha. Anyways we just kept going back and forth with tracks so I didn't get to critically listen to the Deckard that long. I am not complaining since sharing music with others is more important in the moment.

(These are the notes I took before he sat down with me) I listened to "My book of regrets" by Steven Wilson 

LCD 2- set it to high gain and about 10:30 on the volume pot, really good PRAT I feel. 

LCD 3- I was expecting the same PRAT that I got from the LCD 2 but instead I got what sounded like slightly  wider sound staging and the tone seemed to be more mellow in comparison. It was not bad as much as different. Once my brain adjusted to the sound I then was able to focus more on the increased detail of the sound. If LCD 2 is a couple rows back, then i moved forward a couple seats forward. But tonally it wasn't the same. 

I am listening to the LCD 2  and LCD 3 now with "Romantic Warrior" by Return to Forever (my favorite test track right now!) The LCD 3 has more speed then the LCD 2 but its not drastic. Still the LCD 2 is tonally sharper then then the LCD 3. I can understand why @loplop hears them to be too mellow for him.

Ill try to do some more comparisons when I can get back to the store. Want to do the LCD X with it.

-Craig

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #422 of 652
                                                                                                      THD+N:  0.00045% at 1kHz 2VRMS (A-Weighted) (5Hz-100KHz)  
Though, look at the THD on the Deckard (and it sounds SWEET! and not Dry like my Modi2U).

The THD you listed is for Line Out. It is <0.1% for Headphone Out. Much higher than Jotunheim's <0.001%.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #424 of 652
@MTMECraig , that is a fair characterization of the sound, and what I felt with the Deckard/LCD3 combo. I do think many would like that sound a lot, but for me, it was too mellow.

All that said: you really need to spend some serious coin to get a drastically better sound than the Deckard. I could easily see it being endgame for many who just want to enjoy music..!

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #425 of 652
I was buying and selling amps for a bit and all that madness stopped once I got my deckard.

Totally agree with it being at that perfect point when diminishing returns dramatically sets into place. I'm so glad to have discovered the deckard as I am confident it is an exceptional amp and will power nearly anything on the market adequately and sound excellent while doing it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #426 of 652
Have had my deckard a little over a month now and have a set of 4 solid tech isoblack vibration pods a friend has given me I was wondering if any one has had expierance with these and could offer a good spot to put them. Meaning right on feet or place them directly to the bottom of the unit

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #427 of 652
I recently got the Deckard for my LCD2. I couldn't pass up a good deal, despite originally eyeing something from Audio-gd. Anyways, surprisingly, I find my self using the HD800 more than the LCD2 with the Deckard (using Bimby as DAC).

My reference amp is my Onkyo A9555 integrated amplifier for the LCD2. Unfortunately, my quest to find a dedicated headphone amp that matches the Onkyo is still on going (if only it wasn't so far away from my headphone setup). The Deckard does well in some aspects for the LCD2, but I just find the sound through the speaker amp much more open and clean with greater bass extension and soundstage.

However, pairing with the HD800 (sdr modded) was a pleasant surprise. The Deckard did a surprisingly good job at taming the highs of the HD800. My bias against pairing the HD800 with solid state amps was proven wrong with the Deckard. I still might prefer the more organic?/musical sounding Bottlehead Crack (speed ball), but the Deckard is no slouch nonetheless.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #428 of 652
I've had my deckard paired with the LCD-3's for a little over a month now with about 50 hours of use and am considering a USB cable upgrade. Any recemandations? I'm using a budget Pangea USB cable I've had for about 2 yrs. it's a good cable with 5% silver coating i feel like the cable is a step up from the one audeze supplied but am sure there is a better cable out there, Wether it's $20 to $200 I don't care. What are you guys using?

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #429 of 652
The Deckard reminds me of tubes, in a good way. Not surprised it pairs well with the HD800 @h2rulz :)

I forget: which version of LCD2 do you have? I think it paired marvelously with LCD2F...

Two tweaks that are helpful: I liked the ifi iPurifier2 with the Deckard. I also liked feeding it via HQPlayer upsampled to avoid the internal upsampling.

Good stuff, the Deckard!!

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #430 of 652
I've had my deckard paired with the LCD-3's for a little over a month now with about 50 hours of use and am considering a USB cable upgrade. Any recemandations? I'm using a budget Pangea USB cable I've had for about 2 yrs. it's a good cable with 5% silver coating i feel like the cable is a step up from the one audeze supplied but am sure there is a better cable out there, Wether it's $20 to $200 I don't care. What are you guys using?

Schiit Pyst Cable.  Though, I have an AudioQuest Forest that I use with my Mojo every now and then.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #431 of 652

I've been following Head-Fi's Audio GD DAC-19 thread forever (I now own an Audio GD NOS 19). Several people I trust on that thread strongly recommend the Supra USB 2.0 cable (Swedish-made and rather inexpensive):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supra-USB-2-0-for-audio-1-meter-3-28-WHAT-HI-FI-5-STAR-RATED-Made-In-Sweden/152312449181?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3De5103d05409c4f899f0ba708411a853a%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D19%26sd%3D152131344830

I see glowing reviews for crazy/expensive USB cables ($800-$1,000) but that just seems insane. I'd rather buy an endgame headphone or amp than do that--especially because I also use a USB Regen + S/PDIF converter (Musical Fidelity V-Link 24/192). I haven't used any inputs on any of my DACs other than coax or toslink in over 10 yrs.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #432 of 652
The regan has awesome reviews, does it muffle the sound like the jitter bug does? I cant see spending $1000 on a USB cable either I worked my ass off to get the 3 and deckard and would rather just get another pair of headphones.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #433 of 652

I use a Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable. Forgot what we sell it for but it's solid.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #434 of 652
The Deckard reminds me of tubes, in a good way. Not surprised it pairs well with the HD800 @h2rulz
smily_headphones1.gif

I forget: which version of LCD2 do you have? I think it paired marvelously with LCD2F...

Two tweaks that are helpful: I liked the ifi iPurifier2 with the Deckard. I also liked feeding it via HQPlayer upsampled to avoid the internal upsampling.

Good stuff, the Deckard!!

Using the Deckard with LCD2.2, TH900, D7000, 5000...impeckable!!! 

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #435 of 652
Using the Deckard with LCD2.2, TH900, D7000, 5000...impeckable!!! 

Every time I think of putting these up 4 sale and getting an Ether C Flow or something else that can be driven by my Mojo, impressions like this smack me upside the head to remind me I do have nice stuff already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back