Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Feb 1, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #406 of 652
I am interested in a comparison on these too. I can get a Deckard for $569. Schiit is $499, but seems more versatile, including balanced outputs / inputs/ headphones jack

Incredible value both.  Listen to both with your cans and your music.  Unless you need balanced in which case yuo got your Schiit booked.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #407 of 652
I couldn't agree more. I have this amp/dac and it easily drives every headphone I have. It drives my ZMF Omnis flawlessly. I can drive my HD600's on medium gain at like 11:00. I actually love the Utilitarian look, and couldn't be happier with the Deckard. It is clean, smooth, neutral and augments every headphone and music file I throw at it. For the price, it is a killer. I urge you all to try it before determining its validity. I have never seen a bad review, not even a mediocre one. From my experience, it is exactly what I wanted and needed for my current set up and headphone stable.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #408 of 652
Does anyone know how the Deckard compares to a Chord Hugo, Wells Audio Milo or Enigma, and the Pass Labs HPA-1?  I know these amps are significantly more expensive, but from my experience in owning a Deckard and from everything I have read, it punches way above it's price class.  I am interested in going upstream and want to know what to expect.  I am looking to either pair the Well Audio (either the milo or enigma), or the Pass Labs HPA-1 with a Chord 2Qute or the Hugo.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #409 of 652
I am interested in a comparison on these too. I can get a Deckard for $569. Schiit is $499, but seems more versatile, including balanced outputs / inputs/ headphones jack

If I understand it. The Jot is basically a Modi2U (dual of course) connected to a much more powerful Magni2. It might sound pretty good. I personally like the sound of the Deckard better than when I had my Schiit stack (Modi2U & Vali 2 w/E88CC BEL tube upgrade). The single ended output of the Deckard is is a little different than that of the Jot. 

Jot:                                                                                              Deckard:
Single-Ended Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2500mW RMS per channel                      
20ohms (Sine, EL-8, LCD-X/C): 81/20= 4W
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1500mW RMS per channel                      70ohms (LCD-2): 1.15W
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel                        110ohms (LCD-3): 740mW
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 350mW RMS per channel                      200ohms (LCD-4): 400mW                
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 175mW RMS per channel                      300ohms: 270mW
THD: <0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS                                          600ohms: 135mW

THD+N:  0.00045% at 1kHz 2VRMS (A-Weighted) (5Hz-100KHz)

Balanced though, the Jot beats the Deckard upside the head for power ratings, SE...they are somewhat comparable. Though, look at the THD on the Deckard (and it sounds SWEET! and not Dry like my Modi2U).

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #410 of 652
I'm very impressed with the deckard performance/sound and have been using it with lcd-x, elear and p9 headphones, but I was very disappointed to see that it's made in china. I had assumed that it was made in the USA as many of audeze's products are, I probably would have bought the jotunheim if I had known this beforehand.

I've never heard the jotunheim, but I've heard a lot of good things about it and it appears to be more compact. The deckard sounds great and the build quality is excellent, but I would have happily paid more for an american made version.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #411 of 652
  I'm very impressed with the deckard performance/sound and have been using it with lcd-x, elear and p9 headphones, but I was very disappointed to see that it's made in china. I had assumed that it was made in the USA as many of audeze's products are, I probably would have bought the jotunheim if I had known this beforehand.

I've never heard the jotunheim, but I've heard a lot of good things about it and it appears to be more compact. The deckard sounds great and the build quality is excellent, but I would have happily paid more for an american made version.

I much felt the same way, but no denying the build and sound quality. I originally wanted to do an all Amercian audio setup, but it doesn't look like that would be possible without serious cash outlay, so I'm happy to go with sound quality and robust build quality (regardless of where it is built), as long as I can get it serviced if needed.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #412 of 652
I've decided to sell along my Deckard, I've decided it (along with my LCD2's) is a bit too over-the-top for my particular office environment :p   I really thought long and hard about using it in my secondary/bedroom system at home, but decided to keep my micro-ifi stack there as it offers some portability when I need it.

I sure enjoyed it, though.  I'd buy it again, knowing what I know now.  I really don't think you can beat the sound for the cost--even at full retail.

In any case, mine's on the FS forum if anyone needs a nice one!

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #413 of 652

Just got the tip from someone on the Utopia/Elear thread that the Elear has good synergy with the Deckard. Had to give it a shot! This amp gets over looked for some reason and I can say that I have done the same. BUT it is very capable... so far I have listened to the Elear and Z1R. Next I'll try out the range of LCD's to see what has best synergy.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #415 of 652
  Hook up an HE-500 to it, perfect sound.

Man if we carried Hifiman I would try er out. Going to go to hd800 next so I can get a  better sense of what the amp by its self sounds like. Run through some of my test tracks. Then move onto the LCD's. Don't laugh at me but I just listened to Beyonce's "Don't hurt your self" on the Elear and it was really good ha

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #416 of 652
I tried an Elear and while it sounded good on the Deckard, it wasn't anything that blew me away.

The HE-500 on the other hand....
o2smile.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #417 of 652
  Man if we carried Hifiman I would try er out. Going to go to hd800 next so I can get a  better sense of what the amp by its self sounds like. Run through some of my test tracks. Then move onto the LCD's. Don't laugh at me but I just listened to Beyonce's "Don't hurt your self" on the Elear and it was really good ha

Sorry... I'm laughing... LOL!  I'd be interested in what your take is with the LCD line. I love the LCD-2F with it already, and someone posted an article with Bob Katz who likes it with the LCD-4.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #419 of 652
  Sorry... I'm laughing... LOL!  I'd be interested in what your take is with the LCD line. I love the LCD-2F with it already, and someone posted an article with Bob Katz who likes it with the LCD-4.

I think the whole Bob Katz review on Utopia thread is probably what triggered that person to say their thoughts about the Deckard and Elear. Ill do probably LCD 3 with it just because I have the most head time with that.  

In regards to that Beyonce track, let me just say that I don't want that guilty pleasure to be a reflection of my auditory credibility!

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #420 of 652
  I think the whole Bob Katz review on Utopia thread is probably what triggered that person to say their thoughts about the Deckard and Elear. Ill do probably LCD 3 with it just because I have the most head time with that.  

In regards to that Beyonce track, let me just say that I don't want that guilty pleasure to be a reflection of my auditory credibility!

I personally didn't like the LCD3/Deckard matchup--too laid back for my tastes.  The Deckard worked best with the LCD2 for me, and actually sounded fantastic with the Beyer T1v2 (when that headphone wasn't stabbing me in the brain with its elevated treble).  I only tried LCDX very ,very briefly with the Deckard, that might have been one to explore more thoroughly.

Regardless, I'm interested in your thoughts of the LCD3/Deckard combo (and others!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back