Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
May 7, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #1,277 of 1,903
Any updates on when the Reveal filter will be available in Roon?

May 10, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,281 of 1,903
@Chefguru

1652212946539.png

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
May 10, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #1,282 of 1,903
After a long time of being stored away, I finally Setup my estat configuration again.

The CRBN is just an amazing headphone!
They deserve more headtime for sure.

May 11, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #1,286 of 1,903

I can't decipher the dimensions, other than the thickness (where) seems to be 1.15", i.e. 29 mm (I assume in the back side). Thickness in front?
The longer/vertical diameter is 5" (127 mm)? Internal-long diameter?
Shorter/horizontal diameter 3.5" (89 mm)? Internal-short diameter?

If you allow some suggestions for experimentation :).
From my experience with 10+ e-stat models, thinner pads with larger opening (to preserve volume) tend to sound better (but are less comfortable for a few people).
I would try soft lambskin pads with 20-22 mm thickness in the back and 10-12 mm in the front.
For minimal "good" opening I'd suggest 70x50 mm, but for the CRBN 70x60 or 75x60 might work even better.
The internal foam should have a slightly bigger inner opening and nearly the same external diameter (i.e. aligned to the exterior edge), slightly chamfered around the inner edge. Thickness 18-20 mm in the back, 8-10 mm in the front.
Also, the foam has an optimum mass/density for a given foam structure, that can be experimentally found by trimming e.g. from the inner side and from the back (less angle). To my surprise (since why would it matter inside leather pads) there is actually a big sonic difference between foams. After experimenting with 100+ foam specs, I prefer light non-memory foams, with some exceptions. A 1 gram difference in foam mass can make the difference between still sounding muffled or clean with a bigger sound stage. There is a point where a qualitative change happens. If you try, you will know what I am talking about. It can also get a bit exaggerated (e.g. with pads filled with air), so some minimal damping is needed and overdamping seems to be the business today. Which is good for mods :). I have usually stopped at a very slightly underdamping point (not at optimal damping). But that optimum point also slightly depends on genre.

I am using 2-4 pads with each of my headphones, directly mounted on the chassis with double sided adhesive. Mounting rings also compromise the sound, with a few exceptions (when optimized together). The best mounting using rings is that of the Stax 009 (thin metallic ring with screws - avoid plastic rings). But direct attachment with glue pads is far simpler+better, both for pads design (no need for extra flaps) and headphone design, plus adhesive pads are cheap.

May 11, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,287 of 1,903
May 11, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,288 of 1,903
Audeze has eq profiles available in Roon for all of their headphones except CRBN and LCD5. Available separately as Reveal plug-in from Audeze. Or at least used to be free on the Audeze website. But they are included with Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back