Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,771 of 1,907
Reporting back again still happy with CRBN currently. Have a hum sound in both drivers when turning my head/ear towards each one (could also be my big ears touching the stator lol), but not sure if this is just my house electricity since it's very unstable and I have to use multiple UPS units to avoid voltage spikes and dips. I'll probably upgrade from simulated sine wave supplies to pure sine wave at some point (when I do pc rebuild in probably 4-5 years to upgrade from 5950X and 4090), but I hope to leave my tiny rented bedroom to a real place sooner or later.

The hum could also be a grounding issue perhaps?

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,772 of 1,907
Been enjoying the CRBN off the Carbon fed by the Bricasti M1 DAC, with LDAC streaming into a FiiO BTA30 Pro optical out into the Bricasti. Whilst I do have lots of Stax earspeakers, the CRBN does bring something else to the table. It is a bit finicky to get the right fit or position on my odd shaped head. But once I find the sweet spot, it is great for hours of enjoyment. :)

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,773 of 1,907
Just a quick update any buzzing noise I got was actually a ground issue. Even Kingsound amp is fine when ran off battery into dongle into phone. I have isolated it to a ungrounded lightswitch that has buzz when on. Stronger lightbulbs that draw more power cause more buzz. Any suggestions for removing this noise?

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #1,774 of 1,907
Just a quick update any buzzing noise I got was actually a ground issue. Even Kingsound amp is fine when ran off battery into dongle into phone. I have isolated it to a ungrounded lightswitch that has buzz when on. Stronger lightbulbs that draw more power cause more buzz. Any suggestions for removing this noise?
Ground the light switch?

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #1,775 of 1,907
Ground the light switch?
I can run a wire from it outside the switch to the ground I guess. There aren't many grounds in my house since it is over 100 years old and violates many electric codes nowadays

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #1,776 of 1,907
Ok I just capped off the ground wire and that actually reduced the noise a massive amount. I'll properly ground it with a long wire this weekend (I only noticed it was the lightswitch because I swapped to a higher power lightbulb recently)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,777 of 1,907
Moon Audio

CRBN Electrostatic Headphones 2023 version- Stated on Moon website.​

I sent an email to Moon asking for clarification on the "new" 2023 version of the CRBN. They simply returned an email stating the CRBN has been revised for 2023. Ok, I see this on the Audeze website.

"Featuring the most advanced electrostatic technology in decades, Audeze proudly introduces the CRBN electrostatic headphone (pronounced “carbon”), which features a new Patent-pending polymer film with suspended carbon nanotubes to eliminate problems commonly found in previous electrostatic designs. Originally developed for MRI medical applications, we've adapted those innovations for the audiophile version of CRBN, which top audio professionals have called the best sounding electrostatic headphone to-date."

I may be reading this wrong and this may be referring to the "new" technology. Although, this does not answer the Moon's claim to a new version. Can anyone speak to what has been revised for 2023?

Anyway, I decided to ship my CRBN back to Audeze this AM to hopefully repair the stator sticking and causing the "farts". My HP manafactured dates Dec/2021. I was going to live with them until I saw there was a new version.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,778 of 1,907
Moon Audio

CRBN Electrostatic Headphones 2023 version- Stated on Moon website.​

I sent an email to Moon asking for clarification on the "new" 2023 version of the CRBN. They simply returned an email stating the CRBN has been revised for 2023. Ok, I do not see this on the Audeze website. Anyway, I decided to ship my CRBN back to Audeze this AM to hopefully repair the stator sticking and causing the "farts". My HP manafactured dates Dec/2021. I was going to live with them until I saw there was a new version. Can anyone speak to this?
@Audeze
Any chance to get an official Statement on this?

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,779 of 1,907
@Audeze
Any chance to get an official Statement on this?
I revised my posting to add the description from the Audeze website I missed earlier. Although, yes, a statement from Audeze would be good, thank you.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,780 of 1,907
I revised my posting to add the description from the Audeze website I missed earlier. Although, yes, a statement from Audeze would be good, thank you.
The Red marked part applies to All CRBN revisions though.
The polymer Film with carbon nanotubes gave them the name.

I actually inquired also via email.
The last Time a revision wasn’t silent but actually announced was the LCD-X 2021 revision, which had actual changes to the sound

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,781 of 1,907
They'll just come back with "just live with your headphones farting, they're supposed to do that".

I won't be buying them...

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,782 of 1,907
The Red marked part applies to All CRBN revisions though.
The polymer Film with carbon nanotubes gave them the name.

I actually inquired also via email.
The last Time a revision wasn’t silent but actually announced was the LCD-X 2021 revision, which had actual changes to the sound
Yes, just reread and concluded the description refers to All CRBN revisions. Just interesting Moon Audio is claiming there is a 2023 version.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,783 of 1,907
Yes, just reread and concluded the description refers to All CRBN revisions. Just interesting Moon Audio is claiming there is a 2023 version.
They are not the only ones though, I also briefly checked and found others listing a 2023 revision

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,784 of 1,907
They'll just come back with "just live with your headphones farting, they're supposed to do that".

I won't be buying them...
Yeah, I see what you were referring to as the context of the email. They did not seem very welcoming. I was reluctant to send them back because I really do like the HP, but I can simply turn my head and I get the feedback. I can live with a mild inconvenience, but not every time I move my head.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,785 of 1,907
There is no new revision in 2023. They fixed the farting in all models produced since March 2022. So when you have a older one it may can fart a lot more. Mine from that time has no problems no farting even when moving the head a lot not once a fart since then. People making a drama here for nothing. Send in to Audeze and you get a new model >March 2022 without probs!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back