Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Mar 1, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,756 of 1,907
Extension seems fine too (I could hear down to 35hz on a youtube video and up to 15000hz, but putting auto EQ + trying bass sweep instantly stuck the stators on the lower frequences. With no low shelf EQ it doesn't get stuck. Could someone else test and confirm if it happens to them too? Edit: Tried a better video and could hear down to 20hz on same portable amp. Probably need better files for lower will try better amp later

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,757 of 1,907
This video put on bass EQ and go from 200hz or so and down to 10 and see if stator gets stuck

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,758 of 1,907
I can't seem to get them stuck with regular bass boosted music though so that's good. Just played some random extreme bass tracks and I could feel the vibration but no sticking

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,759 of 1,907
I like these with EQ a lot though it's doing exactly what I want across the frequency range. I really appreciate the driver's extension capabilities. Let's hope sticking doesn't become an issue then next week I'll use the Stax amp and see if that makes any difference.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #1,761 of 1,907
I have a Stax SRM-D50 I got for a discount (few months old) coming next week.

I monitored the peaks when listening using this portable amp and it was fine. I also didn't have the volume more than 50%. There is another user on here driving 009s with no issues on that portable amp as well. It just depends on listening volume since it can drive the CRBN well at my volume.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,762 of 1,907
why do people buy TOTL HP's and then listen with inferior equipment?...I am not suggesting people spend tons of money and am not one of those people who bad mouth less expensive gear BUT if you are going to get involved with high end stuff why not work to find a way to make it sound its best or close to it?

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,763 of 1,907
why do people buy TOTL HP's and then listen with inferior equipment?...I am not suggesting people spend tons of money and am not one of those people who bad mouth less expensive gear BUT if you are going to get involved with high end stuff why not work to find a way to make it sound its best or close to it?
I mean that portable amp has more output than the SRM-D10 which Stax claim have no issues with the 009. It looks like I may have the SRM-D50 tomorrow actually since I got it shipped out earlier from the person I was buying from. I could see someone needing better amps if they don't have perfect hearing, but I have near perfect hearing (when I did an audio test at a ear doctor) so I can listen at much lower volumes. Like I can actually drive a HE6SEV2 off a phone dongle if I wish without EQ (almost maxed volume and $40 dongle but still).

I also dislike all tube amps since I prefer to add distortion through software or use EQ to change the frequency range. I'll report back like I mentioned once I have that D50 in hand, but I may very well not have any noticeable improvement in my case (considering all I listen to is YouTube, Spotify, and Twitch as well). I noticed YouTube itself has issues with the lowest frequencies and highest and can't properly play them loud enough.

No knock on anyone spending a bunch of money on stuff, but for me personally I still go for price to performance even on the high end (like I wouldn't have bought this CRBN if I didn't get it 50% off and I was going to buy a recapped SRM-323A until I saw a deal on the couple month old D50). On another point I'm getting too good of a seal with these it feels like suction cups on my head which is kind of weird and if I break the seal when playing music they instantly get stuck. I'm going to peace out from the audio scene for at least a few years now as long as I have no issues with the CRBN since I think I am done buying stuff.

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #1,764 of 1,907
ok then

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,765 of 1,907
20230302_215055[1].jpg

Noticed something QC missed (which is hard to take a picture of). That mesh is sunken in on the bottom left noticeably more than anywhere else but not sure if it matters

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #1,766 of 1,907
16781537927101649687208839647910.jpg

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #1,767 of 1,907
UPS really struggled to drive 30 minutes so I only got it just now. The VU meter is pretty cool. I am happy to report less static issues when moving my head with the Stax amp vs that cheap Kingsound one. The driver no longer gets stuck even if I shake my head pretty hard. I can still make it fart but very briefly only and I have to basically go full head bang.

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #1,768 of 1,907

Randomly decided to listen to metal covers of video game music and these actually do well at showing off the CRBN's strengths to me

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #1,769 of 1,907
Back on the CRBN, driven by Carbon and out of the Bricasti M1, after a week on RAAL ribbon HPs. I do enjoy this pair of HPs. :)

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,770 of 1,907
Reporting back again still happy with CRBN currently. Have a hum sound in both drivers when turning my head/ear towards each one (could also be my big ears touching the stator lol), but not sure if this is just my house electricity since it's very unstable and I have to use multiple UPS units to avoid voltage spikes and dips. I'll probably upgrade from simulated sine wave supplies to pure sine wave at some point (when I do pc rebuild in probably 4-5 years to upgrade from 5950X and 4090), but I hope to leave my tiny rented bedroom to a real place sooner or later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back