Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Feb 20, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #1,726 of 1,906
It is normal which is why their reply is so cut and dry. The issue with CRBN is it's exacerbated and in some cases unacceptable as in inoperable.
If I take them (and you) at your word, then they should recall these headphones and re-engineer them until a ready-for-primetime version is tested and perfected. I understnd their intentions were good. I don't feel they tried to creat a piece of junk and pawn it off as a premium unit. I think they got so far into R&D and someone with the money said "We need to get them out there - we'll deal with the issues later". They've never learned from Earnest & Julio Gallo - "We shall sell no wine before it's time".

I've said my peace, both publically and privately. If they fall on deaf ears, so be it. If not, who knows, maybe you'll see a bunch of folks with mediocre (at best) CRBN be recalled and the feedback will be engineered into the CRBN-2. Wishful thinking though....

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #1,727 of 1,906
If I take them (and you) at your word, then they should recall these headphones and re-engineer them until a ready-for-primetime version is tested and perfected. I understnd their intentions were good. I don't feel they tried to creat a piece of junk and pawn it off as a premium unit. I think they got so far into R&D and someone with the money said "We need to get them out there - we'll deal with the issues later". They've never learned from Earnest & Julio Gallo - "We shall sell no wine before it's time".

I've said my peace, both publically and privately. If they fall on deaf ears, so be it. If not, who knows, maybe you'll see a bunch of folks with mediocre (at best) CRBN be recalled and the feedback will be engineered into the CRBN-2. Wishful thinking though....
What's absolutely hilarious, is you don't understand their fundamental operation and how their perfect seal is a defect.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #1,728 of 1,906
What's absolutely hilarious, is you don't understand their fundamental operation and how their perfect seal is a defect.
It's not that at all - it's that AUDEZE thinks what I'm experiencing is not only normal, but acceptable. Oddly, I've yet to hear a single fart from my Stax 007's, no volume jumps, and no lifeless tone. Like I said - I'm guessing CRBN #2 was also defective, but rather than call me to discuss, I was scoffed off with a form letter telling me that they're right and I'm wrong.

Oh well, plenty of other things in this hobby to draw my attention to....l

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,729 of 1,906
I had issues with my early unit. 12/21 Audeze replaced it with no hassle. New unit (10/22) has zero problems. Not anymore sensitive to Fart issues than my 007 or Shangra la jr. And less so than my Voce. I am very happy with my CRBN and Audeze customer service.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,730 of 1,906
I have had nothing but wonderful customer service from audeze over the years

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #1,731 of 1,906
I have written my reply to Col privately, and will ensure his issue is handled. We gave him a response on electrostatic farting and sticking which is not limited to our units and is something stats are generally known for (as far as I personally know), but we will make sure his unit has a minimal problems as possible. There was a lack of communication and follow through on my part, which I do apologize, it was my mistake, but yes, we absolutely look into these issues to ensure customer units have these issues handled as much as possible.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #1,732 of 1,906
It's not that at all - it's that AUDEZE thinks what I'm experiencing is not only normal, but acceptable. Oddly, I've yet to hear a single fart from my Stax 007's, no volume jumps, and no lifeless tone. Like I said - I'm guessing CRBN #2 was also defective, but rather than call me to discuss, I was scoffed off with a form letter telling me that they're right and I'm wrong.

Oh well, plenty of other things in this hobby to draw my attention to....l
I hope Audeze will be able to sort it out for you. I totally understand where you’re coming from and I would also be p*ss*d if I were you. I had a similar experience in a different hobby, bought a lens from a famous German manufacturer for $6k and I expected absolute perfection. But to my surprise, the 1st copy had serious focusing issues which got replaced by a 2nd copy and it had exactly the same problem. I was lucky the dealer was willing to refund me in full and I refrain from getting another one until they sort things out.

Having said that, I guess I’m lucky enough that my CRBN unit doesn’t exhibit those issues and I truly find them very enjoyable indeed. But the behavior of your unit is definitely not acceptable for something that costs $4.5k and Audeze should improve the design or manufacturing process for future CRBNs. Good luck!

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,733 of 1,906
It is normal which is why their reply is so cut-and-dried. The issue with CRBN is it's exacerbated and in some cases unacceptable as in inoperable.

It is not cut-and-dried. For the "farting" issue, my Sony, STAX, and King Sound electrostatics don't have this problem at all. For those that do get the issue with STAX, it is reportedly pretty minor. I expected the CRBN to have a bigger issue since the seal is very good. For the stator sticking issue, I don't think it should happen on a *regular basis* with any well designed electrostatic headphone. And, my replacement pair of CRBNs do not stick and hardly ever "fart." The seal is just as good, so that is not the whole story.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #1,734 of 1,906
It is not cut-and-dried. For the "farting" issue, my Sony, STAX, and King Sound electrostatics don't have this problem at all. For those that do get the issue with STAX, it is reportedly pretty minor. I expected the CRBN to have a bigger issue since the seal is very good. For the stator sticking issue, I don't think it should happen on a *regular basis* with any well designed electrostatic headphone. And, my replacement pair of CRBNs do not stick and hardly ever "fart." The seal is just as good, so that is not the whole story.
All the STAX can fart, SR-202, Omega, 007, 009, Koss 950, Voce, Nectar Hive, etc as it's part of their design mechanism. Some allow air to leak from the driver and pads and others port to minimize the buildup.

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #1,735 of 1,906
The iterarions since April 2022 does not have any issues! Mine farted months ago. Sure when I press from the outside of the grills it farts as Stax farts when you do this.
And soundwise I dont know If there is any better headphone currently. I have 1266 TC, Susvara, Nutopia, Raal but man I ever going back to these babies. It sounds so natural, such stunning staging and the bass quality not reachable from any Stax or other E stats. This CRBN is a masterpiece the best headphone for me I ever heared!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,736 of 1,906
All the STAX can fart, SR-202, Omega, 007, 009, Koss 950, Voce, Nectar Hive, etc as it's part of their design mechanism. Some allow air to leak from the driver and pads and others port to minimize the buildup.
Very true, but I've found the CRBN to be a bit different in how the "fart" noise manifests. Although my first pair was very susceptible, I do think Audeze have changed something in the production method as my second pair was much less prone to it. Still, when it did happen, it was much different from the typical Stax Fart type noise. With Stax and other electrostats, its kind of like a quiet zipping noise which is really no big deal at all`, but with the CRBN it can manifest as a loud CRACK'ing type of noise. Also, the jumps in volume mentioned by @ColSaulTigh are also a thing. My theory about those is that when the air pressure in the cup changes, it changes the tension of the diaphragm and causes the volume jump. It can be really startling. They are split second happenings and back to normal though.

Still, with my second pair it was all much more difficult to get it to happen, and I had to actually make a conscious effort for it to happen. It was an entirely livable situation for me with the second pair, and I ended up really enjoying them with EQ.

Also, my experience with Audeze support has always been good, so I've got to give them their due there.

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,737 of 1,906
Very true, but I've found the CRBN to be a bit different in how the "fart" noise manifests. Although my first pair was very susceptible, I do think Audeze have changed something in the production method as my second pair was much less prone to it. Still, when it did happen, it was much different from the typical Stax Fart type noise. With Stax and other electrostats, its kind of like a quiet zipping noise which is really no big deal at all`, but with the CRBN it can manifest as a loud CRACK'ing type of noise. Also, the jumps in volume mentioned by @ColSaulTigh are also a thing. My theory about those is that when the air pressure in the cup changes, it changes the tension of the diaphragm and causes the volume jump. It can be really startling. They are split second happenings and back to normal though.

Still, with my second pair it was all much more difficult to get it to happen, and I had to actually make a conscious effort for it to happen. It was an entirely livable situation for me with the second pair, and I ended up really enjoying them with EQ.

Also, my experience with Audeze support has always been good, so I've got to give them their due there.

I agree with all of that. Nice explanation. In my experience, Audeze support is among the very best in the business. That is why that letter is disappointing.

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,738 of 1,906
Feb 21, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,739 of 1,906
From all the Staxes, only the SR-007 Mk1 and SR-5 Gold do it constantly, the SR-007 Mk2 only does it occasionally even after the port mod.
The rest you have to push it deliberately to happen (unless the diaphragm sticks to the stators, which is not common).

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,740 of 1,906
Why can’t Audeze own up to having had a design or manufacturing problem with the CRBN, state what the problem was and then say when it was fixed and publicly declare that they will stand behind any CRBN that still has problems. Putting the facts out there would dispel misinformation and build trust in the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back