Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Apr 27, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,801 of 1,910
I'd love to see if they're dumb enough to send you the same form letter I got...

Audeze Customer Support Center] Re: Request #179230 - new issue with 2nd pair of Audeze CRBN​

Inbox

default-user=s80-p

Christian @ Audeze (Audeze Customer Support Center) <support@audeze.zendesk.com>​

Mon, Feb 13, 5:16 PM

to me

Hi Fred,

Because of the tight seal required by the earpads, if you press down on the earcups while they’re on your head, air trapped in between your ear and the drivers moves the diaphragm back and forth along with the change in air pressure. If during these movements the diaphragm comes very close to the stator plate, it may cause the diaphragm to touch the plate, since the electrostatic force (what makes your headphones go) increases exponentially the closer they get to each other. When this happens, you might hear a “click” in the earcup. This is a normal occurrence with your headphones and is not dangerous.

If you hear this click and things don't immediately go back to normal, it might mean the diaphragm has stuck to the stator plate. This can cause the left/right balance and response to become skewed. Additionally, some amplifiers may create a humming noise if the diaphragm is stuck to the stator. If this happens, just unplug the cable and touch the pins with either your hand, or the special conductive foam that came with your unit. This will release the attraction force and return your headphones functions to normal.

Our decision was to tension the diaphragm for the best possible bass response, but this may cause the above issues to appear from time-to-time. As long as you’re not pressing them on your head or moving them around during use, the issue should not present itself and things should remain stable.

There are few steps you can use to reduce the occurrence of this problem:
  • Position headphones on the head first and only then plug it into the amplifier.
  • If the headphones are plugged in and then positioned on the head, you should be gentle and try not to press down on the earcups.
  • In case the diaphragm gets stuck, the best way to remedy this is to unplug the cable and discharge the diaphragm by using our conductive pad, which was shipped with the headphones, or simply touch the pins with your finger.
  • The conductive foam pad is a very useful tool to keep headphones in better overall shape and prolong good working life. When not in use, we would suggest you unplug the headphones and attach the conductive pad back onto the connector. This will discharge diaphragm and minimize dust collection. The 580V bias connector is going to attract very fine dust particles from the air. We have mechanical filters which also serve as damping cloths for diaphragm resonance control. The cloth will filter most dust particles, but will not capture everything, so the safest approach is to disconnect headphones and short the plug pins after use.
  • Storing your headphones in a closed container when not in use (or putting it back into the carrying case) is good practice to reduce headphones exposure to dust.

Note, that sounds when you move your head is normal to eletcrostatic headphones like the CRBN, and there is no 'fix' as it is due to the electrostatic nature.

All the best,
Christian
Audeze Support (anything Audeze-related pre-July 2021 was another Christian). I'm the Mad Lust Envy Gaming Headphone Guide Reviewer (on Headfi.org and socials), Hardcore Gamer, Anime and TV/Film Enthusiast.
This e-mail is the property of Audeze LLC. Distribution of this e-mail, or the information contained in it, is prohibited.

On 2023 M02 13 02:23:10 UTC, Fred Forlano colsaultigh.bsg75@gmail.com wrote:
I had my original pair replaced within a 30 day window by Adorama, however, I just received the 2nd pair and I'm still continuing to have issues. This pair has a manufacturing date of 1/22 and I get distortion when I move/lean my head. Seems more prevalent in the left channel, but happens in both.
Can I get someone from Audeze to call me to discuss this issue, please?
New headphones are serial #EX1243, inspected by Mike, date 1-28-22
Thanks,
Fred Forlano
xxx-xxx-xxxx
Thanks!
Fred
This email is a service from Audeze Customer Support Center. Delivered by Zendesk

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #1,802 of 1,910
I did some more testing now and if I sway my head slowly side to side I can make the left side get stuck, but not the right one so I think only the left one has that issue for me. Sending the email now and will post the reply here

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,803 of 1,910
Email has been sent through the support website with pictures. Now to see if Audeze is willing to check the left driver.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,804 of 1,910
I recorded a 30 second audio clip with my phone. This noise is only from the left side (right side making 0 noise). This happens when moving my head side to side (like doing side to side neck stretches basically). This was also after fully discharging the headphone and making sure the amp was on the lowest setting with no music playing. Happens with music too as well

Attachments

• Voice 001.zip
    491.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #1,805 of 1,910
Note, that sounds when you move your head is normal to eletcrostatic headphones like the CRBN, and there is no 'fix' as it is due to the electrostatic nature.
They even know that this is a lie, which infuriates me to see it in a customer Service response.

While the crinkling sound is normal for pressure changes (like when you press them against your head) It's not normal when simply moving your head.

How do I know?
My unit didn't have the issue when moving my head (even tho it was a 11/2021 unit)

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #1,806 of 1,910
They even know that this is a lie, which infuriates me to see it in a customer Service response.

While the crinkling sound is normal for pressure changes (like when you press them against your head) It's not normal when simply moving your head.

How do I know?
My unit didn't have the issue when moving my head (even tho it was a 11/2021 unit)
IKR!

I currently own a Jade II, Shangri LA Jr, SR-007a MK2, and a x9000, NONE of which make ANY noise unless I intentionally press them against my head.

Piss-poor customer service, IMO, from Audeze.

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #1,807 of 1,910
I currently own a Jade II, Shangri LA Jr, SR-007a MK2, and a x9000, NONE of which make ANY noise unless I intentionally press them against my head.
Whoa, amazing collection 👍🏼

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #1,808 of 1,910
IKR!

Piss-poor customer service, IMO, from Audeze.
Wait until your driver on X9000 failed...then let's wait what you say about Stax service.
Audeze has some of the best customer service around! Please remain factual.

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,809 of 1,910
Wait until your driver on X9000 failed...then let's wait what you say about Stax service.
Well he even posted the response he received, he couldn't be any more factual than that.

Audeze might have good customer Support in general ( I wouldn't know, luckily I never needed it), in his case they ****ed up royally which is objectively proven by the response he received

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #1,810 of 1,910
I guess I'll contact Audeze then if it's 100% confirmed the models from March are different
Not sure they will tell you because it seems they are not acknowledging there is a defect. When I hear there are units not doing it than it is obvious the pre March models has a defect. I cannot put mine on my head or get through a 10 minute session without standing up, unplugging and reseting the HP. If my return model is not a considerable improvement I'm selling my BHSE. I'm not a fan of Stax, so no need to keep. I really like the CRBN sound. It's perfect for the type of genre I listen to. My fingers are cross.

Now, with that said, depending on the customer service I probably will never buy Audeze again. So far, not so good.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,811 of 1,910
Not sure they will tell you because it seems they are not acknowledging there is a defect. When I hear there are units not doing it than it is obvious the pre March models has a defect. I cannot put mine on my head or get through a 10 minute session without standing up, unplugging and reseting the HP. If my return model is not a considerable improvement I'm selling my BHSE. I'm not a fan of Stax, so no need to keep. I really like the CRBN sound. It's perfect for the type of genre I listen to. My fingers are cross.

Now, with that said, depending on the customer service I probably will never buy Audeze again. So far, not so good.
Before you sell your BHSE maybe consider the DCA estats, they have a quite different presentation compared to the Stax headphones

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #1,812 of 1,910
- My Stax work perfectly from the day I got them. My Audeze did not.
- I've never had to contact Stax customer service. I contacted Audeze customer service twice.
--- I've posted my results of the conversatons with Audeze verbatim in previous posts. Their rep even acknowledges their shortcomings.

These are facts and they are not in dispute.

So before you try to change the narrative of my story, please be sure YOU have the facts. In my case, the facts paint a very clear picture.

The prosecution rests.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,813 of 1,910
I told you all months in the past about the changes (Audeze told me) I have no power to roll it up again.
My model (december 2021) had farting, my current model (april 2022) not. They replaced and all good until now!
Or maybe I'm the only man on the world with a working CRBN? :)

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #1,814 of 1,910

Might I suggest trying some of the HiFiMan headsets - I'm actually very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality from them. Build quality, not so much, but the Jade II is a hidden gem (pun not intended) that I don't think gets enough mention because it's so inexpensive. the BHSE is a fantastic amp, and to get rid of it because of Audeze is a misstep, IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #1,815 of 1,910
Or maybe I'm the only man on the world with a working CRBN?
Mine is working perfectly but the response from Audeze for some people are way less than stellar. I would also have the exact same reaction if I’m in their shoes. But I’m lucky enough to have a good unit, so there’s that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back