ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,881 of 9,714
I’m thinking about buying a second hand pair of Eikon, but I’ve seen a lot of posts about driver failures. Is it very common? Because second hand won’t have warranty and if the saved money goes to buy new drivers every X months then it doesn’t make sense to buy second hand.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #5,882 of 9,714
I've heard both Atticus & Eikon at length (owned the former; borrowed the latter for weeks). I never experienced driver failure, nor has my pal who owns the Eikon. I can't recall reading many (if any) posts about driver failures in either HP.

My perception is that driver failures are not a real concern w/any ZMF headphones.

Am I missing something here?

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #5,883 of 9,714
@elira For what it’s worth, my own anecdotal research into ZMF headphones failed to yield a single documented instance of driver failure. And in the brief course of my ownership, I never experienced a driver failure from either the Eikon or Atticus.

I mean, it’s entirely possible that it has happened at least once. I’d concede that. But given the seemingly total absence of any examples of driver failure, I would not regard it as a “very common” problem. Very much the opposite, really.

Curious as to what information led you to reach such a conclusion?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #5,884 of 9,714
@elira For what it’s worth, my own anecdotal research into ZMF headphones failed to yield a single documented instance of driver failure. And in the brief course of my ownership, I never experienced a driver failure from either the Eikon or Atticus.

I mean, it’s entirely possible that it has happened at least once. I’d concede that. But given the seemingly total absence of any examples of driver failure, I would not regard it as a “very common” problem. Very much the opposite, really.

Curious as to what information led you to reach such a conclusion?
I've been reading about these headphones for a while, and I've seen posts like https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-384#post-14165085 (Although that one is for the Atticus) so I'm not sure if it's a common problem or it's just my brain remembering the bad stuff.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #5,886 of 9,714
I’m thinking about buying a second hand pair of Eikon, but I’ve seen a lot of posts about driver failures. Is it very common? Because second hand won’t have warranty and if the saved money goes to buy new drivers every X months then it doesn’t make sense to buy second hand.

I guess failure is possible with any product (excepting maybe a pet rock). However as much as I'm sure it would be considered on a case by case basis, I won't speak for Zach but I can tell you that the ZMF customer service is top notch. If something like driver failure was a problem, Zach would do everything possible to make it right (reasonably speaking of course).

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #5,887 of 9,714
I guess failure is possible with any product (excepting maybe a pet rock). However as much as I'm sure it would be considered on a case by case basis, I won't speak for Zach but I can tell you that the ZMF customer service is top notch. If something like driver failure was a problem, Zach would do everything possible to make it right (reasonably speaking of course).

We've had almost no issues with the Eikon driver as it's very robust and once through our process has seen little to no issues.

The atticus driver is a bit more fragile because the membrane is super thin, the few known issues we've had have been to make sure the case airflow is open on long travels, as changes in pressure from the case and flight can deform the driver. Usually this can be amended by simply using tape to pull the driver back to correct position.

The other issue is that sometimes when plugged into a super powerful amp or tube amp that "pops" when going on and off this can do the same thing and sometimes pull the voice coil off the membrane a little. This has also only happened a couple times, and once to me with one of my tube amps!

Even with second hand owners we have made the price to replace both drivers pretty low. If anyone ever has an issue please let me know, I will find a way to take care of your headphones as best as possible regardless if you're the original owner or not. I don't want any bad sounding ZMF's out there!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 21, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #5,888 of 9,714
We've had almost no issues with the Eikon driver as it's very robust and once through our process has seen little to know issues.

The atticus driver is a bit more fragile because the membrane is super thin, the few known issues we've had have been to make sure the case airflow is open on long travels, as changes in pressure from the case and flight can deform the driver. Usually this can be amended by simply using tape to pull the driver back to correct position.

The other issue is that sometimes when plugged into a super powerful amp or tube amp that "pops" when going on and off this can do the same thing and sometimes pull the voice coil off the membrane a little. This has also only happened a couple times, and once to me with one of my tube amps!

Even with second hand owners we have made the price to replace both drivers pretty low. If anyone ever has an issue please let me know, I will find a way to take care of your headphones as best as possible regardless if you're the original owner or not. I don't want any bad sounding ZMF's out there!
Thanks for the response, now I feel more comfortable buying a second hand Eikon.

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #5,892 of 9,714
Might have mine as soon as 1-2 weeks from now. Ordered one 3 weeks ago.
Ordered 3 weeks ago? You must be in the super secret zmf insiders club. (anecdotal evidence suggests that such a thing exists considering the amount of custom one-off zmf headphone that are floating around that have never been offered to the public)

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #5,893 of 9,714
Ordered 3 weeks ago? You must be in the super secret zmf insiders club. (anecdotal evidence suggests that such a thing exists considering the amount of custom one-off zmf headphone that are floating around that have never been offered to the public)
All I did was ask Zach about the next Atticus LTD wood after the ash Auteur was already officially announced. No super secret club membership for me.

ZMF customer service is top notch!

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #5,894 of 9,714
All I did was ask Zach about the next Atticus LTD wood after the ash Auteur was already officially announced. No super secret club membership for me.
ZMF customer service is top notch!

Yeah, Zach is a craftsman so to keep up scale he needs to have standard offerings, but he also seems very willing to work with each customer. If you want something, just ask - depending on his workload and vision for the products he might be able to do it.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #5,895 of 9,714

Users who are viewing this thread

Back