ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 5, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #5,866 of 9,711
The eikon actually comes with its own custom lambskin strap and shouldn't be replaced by a strap for the t50rp. If you're having issues with your pads send me an email at contactzmf@gmail.com as it seems like the stuff you're talking about either belongs in the t50 modding threads or we can figure out what's going on with your pads in an email.

Thanks!!!!

Not sure what thread it belongs in just thought i mention it. Most other threads have a little crossover here and there.

I went to take off the pads and some of the seam came apart I could probably use fabric glue to patch it just never expected it to come apart.

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #5,867 of 9,711
I have never had any issues with the comfort of my pilot pad, so I guess I just never thought about trying another strap.

The Atticus is also really comfortable to me.

I find comfort to be fabulous with my Ori Pilot Pad, Atticus / Eikon and Auteur.

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #5,868 of 9,711
I find comfort to be fabulous with my Ori Pilot Pad, Atticus / Eikon and Auteur.

I have a sensitive head and only suspension straps work on heavy cans for me. Will have Eikons this week so that will be awesome.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #5,869 of 9,711
I've spend a number of hours listening to a friend's Eikon. Gotta say, I went into it thinking, "No way a leather strap is going to cut it" (ie, comparing it mentally to the superb comfort of the Pilot Pad on my Ori). Well, I was wrong. That strap totally works.

Sure, it doesn't feel as comfy & padded as the Pilot Pad does, but it distributes the headphone's weight so well that you quickly stop thinking about comfort, weight, etc--and just zero in on that amazing Eikon sound.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #5,870 of 9,711
Yeah I'm finding the Eikon surprisingly comfortable, didn't expect that from how it looks.

It sounds amazing, I thought I wouldn't use it too often since I have the Utopia, but it's getting nearly equivalent head-time from me. Super smooth refined sound w/ an impressive soundstage for a 'closed' can.

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #5,871 of 9,711
Think an Atticus would be more my flavor, anyone looking for a Eikon?

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #5,873 of 9,711
Which would be a better headphone to pair with the Atticus ... The new massdrop fostex TR-X00 Ebony or Mahogany ... I'm thinking the Ebony?
Just a question - what are you missing in the Atticus that you think you'll get with the TH-X00? Just asking because I upgraded to the Atticus from the Mahogany, and apart from the deepest of deep bass notes, the Atticus is an improvement in every conceivable way. Again not disparaging the X00 - I miss mine just for that very, very special bass, but would only use it for a smidgen of tracks that need it, compared to everything else the Atticus improves on.

If anything I'd get a complementary open back for the Atticus. Personally I went with the Elear, which has a more forward and dynamic sound to the Atticus and is its equal in resolution, but is also less forgiving and sharper, whereas the Atticus is more relaxed and honey-like, especially in the mids, and has a wider, more airy stage. If funds allow you may also want to consider the Auteur, which would provide a more neutral, balanced but still weighty complement. Just some thoughts.

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #5,874 of 9,711
Which would be a better headphone to pair with the Atticus ... The new massdrop fostex TR-X00 Ebony or Mahogany ... I'm thinking the Ebony?

I agree with the poster above that it wouldn't really provide a good contrast. Before the Auteur existed, my favorite combo was the Atticus and HD800 (which can be found quite cheap used these days).

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #5,876 of 9,711
I agree the Auteur and Atticus are a great combo. I use the Atticus at work where I don't have access to EQ (since I think the Atticus is almost perfect out of the box), I use Auteur at home where I need better imaging for gaming and can tweak the EQ. Downside: $$$$$$$$$ :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5,877 of 9,711

Not sure but I might get an Ebony.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #5,878 of 9,711
Funny, I was just listening to a pair of TH-X00's that I put Macassar Ebony cups on and also ZMF Cowhide pads. The bass is EPIC, but surprisingly doesn't overtake the mids. Excellent for Electronic/Hip-Hop/Pop/.

I also agree that I'd look for something more open and balanced to compliment the Atticus. You can get HE-560's for super cheap these days. The Sundara's are also a good choice.

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #5,879 of 9,711
IMO, selecting headphones to complement the Atticus (or Eikon, for that matter) need not be comparable in price--nor does it have to be closed back.

I've heard both A&E at length (owned an Atticus). One headphone I find that sets off these designs in intriguing ways is an early LCD-2.1 (circa 2012). It's unlike A&E because it's an open-back planar, yet relatively similar in how it was voiced. Another interesting comparison is the inexpensive but enjoyable Fidelio X2 (known for its bassy/slightly warm sound & diffuse soundstaging).
  • To me, the dynamic vs planar & closed vs open factors make for intriguing sonic comparisons with A&E
Of course, one could go a step further & compare A&E with headphones known for analytical/precise treble, such as the Senn H800 or Focal Clear/Utopia. This option doesn't appeal to me because I really don't care for headphones of that type...

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #5,880 of 9,711
I don't use a pilot pad on any of my ZMFs. Gonna use the Eikon as it is out of the box too. For me, the suspension headband design just needs to do its job and suspend/offload the weight. Unlike the Audeze LCD-4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back