ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #5,837 of 9,733
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Atticus. What are your thoughts on the 2 upgrade cables offered the ofc and occ. Snake oil or a worthwhile upgrade?

The OFC cable is a no brainier at $60, especially when buying a $1k+ headphone. Made well and sounds good. I noticed some very tiny positive changes with my Auteur. It will not be a night and day difference, no cables are, but I feel it's worth the extra cost for the build quality alone. I use an OFC cable with my own Atticus.

I haven't heard his OCC cable but I do really like the 2k cable.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #5,838 of 9,733
@Bizcotti Definitely get the OFC cable. The build quality alone justifies the additional cost, sonic improvements notwithstanding.

As for ZMF’s other cables, I like the Michanikós with the Atticus. But it is expensive and I would not recommend it for an initial purchase. Spend some time with the Atticus, familiarize yourself with its sound, and then, if you’re satisfied with your gear chain, decide if a fancy headphone cable is a worthwhile avenue to explore.

May 24, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #5,839 of 9,733
The OFC cable is a no brainier at $60, especially when buying a $1k+ headphone. Made well and sounds good. I noticed some very tiny positive changes with my Auteur. It will not be a night and day difference, no cables are, but I feel it's worth the extra cost for the build quality alone. I use an OFC cable with my own Atticus.

I own 2 of Zach's OFC cables. When buying a ZMF headphone (when the OFC is a $60 upgrade), it's a slam-dunk. Don't think twice, just do it.

I haven't done systematic comparisons, but my impression was OFC sounded better than stock (enough to matter); and fairly close to the Forza Audioworks Noir HCP which costs twice as much).

May 24, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #5,840 of 9,733
Zach recently sent me back my ZMF Classic (which by the way I love and consider a ridiculously good value, I compared them to the HD600 recently and the Classic won) along with an Atmos C copper litz cable because he's the man. I also ordered the OFC cable with my Atticus, and never really bothered much with the stock cable so I can't comment on the difference there. Versus the OFC, I do find a bit more detail and something in the upper midrange/treble that I can't put my finger on with the Atmos C versus the OFC. I am no cable afficionado and these are the only two high end cables I've ever heard, unless you count Blue Jeans interconnects lol. I have listened to the Classic switching back and forth between the stock cable and the Atmos C, while also going back and forth between the HD600 with a ZMF OFC cable that I got during the black friday sale. While Modibit/Vali2 is not the most revealing source gear, Atmos C brings out noticably more detail than stock. I also think the differences between the Classic and HD600 are more stark when it's Classic/Atmos C vs HD600/OFC (instead of Classic/OFC or Classic/stock). The Classic already best the HD600 imho, but with the Atmos C they pull out ahead even further.

I have a MCTH/SDAC on the way that I'll also do impressions with... that should be a step up from the Vali 2. It's going to end up in my office with the Classics, hoping it's a good match, but while my Crack is under repair/remodeling (which is on hold while I finish my dissertation), it will probably sit at home with the Atticus.

Oh yeah, and the Atmos C is beautiful with the cocobolo. Pics.

2018-05-24 19.43.47.jpg
2018-05-24 19.43.08.jpg

Edit: I actually do not recommend the wooden omega style stand for the Atticus. The leather headband tends to stick to the wood. Maybe my head is just oily, but to me they go better with hanger-style stands.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #5,841 of 9,733

The cable isn't $60, the 6" adapter is. It's 90-120 bucks for an actual cable which still isn't bad but I pointed it out accuracy's sake.

May 24, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,842 of 9,733
The cable isn't $60, the 6" adapter is. It's 90-120 bucks for an actual cable which still isn't bad but I pointed it out accuracy's sake.

The person I was replying to was going to buy the cable with their Atticus purchase, in which case the cable is discounted to $60.

May 26, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #5,844 of 9,733
I can't comment on the Eikon, but the Atticus has a very nice (not too much) mid-bass hump and thumps with authority. The reason why the Atticus might not be amazing for some is because the sub bass rolls off somehwat and the timbre/tonality is far more suited for real (acoustic or electric) instruments. It's incredible and rich.

The good part is that voices sound so good on the Atticus and the rolled treble can tame some crappy EDM/rap mastering.

If I used my Atticus with my PC where I can EQ the sub bass, I would absolutely use them for EDM/rap, even if the timbre/tonality isn't super suited for electronic music. I can also confirm the Atticus can respond very well to sub bass EQ. The best TOTL headphones I've heard for EDM and contemporary pop and rap is the HP-3.

This is exactly my experience.

Initially I was less than enthused when I received the Atticus and took it through its paces.. however after getting a custom cable and adjusting the source out of my PC using HQPlayer, and some VST EQ though Foobar, it made a huge difference to how well it does with EDM, specifically Drum & Bass (but with any real bassy music)

You are totally right, that even though the timbre/tonality isn't necessarily suited on the Atticus for this music, it still definitely holds its own, and the assistance with EQ brings it where it needs to be for those genres.

It doesn't dig down deep into the sub bass, even with the low end boost, but it brings enough to be enjoyable. That said, the Atticus definitely does better with slower and more drawn out music at lower BPM.. it will be beat by other headphones for more dynamic and transient music.

All that said, they still are a real treat and bring such a fullness and richness in, and the mids are just as good as everyone proclaimed they are. For many types of music they really are a treat.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #5,845 of 9,733
A lot of people mentioned CTH for synergy with Atticus, I can confirm that with another cavalli amp (LG). It is simply fantastic. It overwhelms you at times. The tonality could be better, but that's it.
I had Eikon before, it was ok. It had better slam, soundstage, details than Atticus, but to me -- it was a touch grainy on more than few songs & lacked cohesiveness. I traded it for Atticus & man, this is one musical headphone that works with so many genre's.
If you care about music & not all the audiophile buzzwords that we like to throw around, this is the can to get. It is joining others in my wall of fame, for sure.[HD650, Grado RS1, LCD3]

May 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #5,846 of 9,733
A lot of people mentioned CTH for synergy with Atticus, I can confirm that with another cavalli amp (LG). It is simply fantastic. It overwhelms you at times. The tonality could be better, but that's it.
I had Eikon before, it was ok. It had better slam, soundstage, details than Atticus, but to me -- it was a touch grainy on more than few songs & lacked cohesiveness. I traded it for Atticus & man, this is one musical headphone that works with so many genre's.
If you care about music & not all the audiophile buzzwords that we like to throw around, this is the can to get. It is joining others in my wall of fame, for sure.[HD650, Grado RS1, LCD3]

Not a better way to desribe the Atticus...it is musical in spades.

May 30, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #5,848 of 9,733
The time might be coming very soon for me to order an Atticus. I've been thinking about it for around a year now, but I always tell myself not to do it since I tend to favor open. The sound signature as a complementary headphone just seems so appealing. Sure wouldn't mind one in ash. :L3000:

May 30, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #5,849 of 9,733

I am using Eikon out of Cayin stack, IDAC-6 and IHA-6, I don't find it grainy. It sounds as good as as my speaker system.
Still awaiting delivery of my ZDT Jr to pair with Atticus. Eikon will not sound good if the amp is not powerful enough

May 31, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #5,850 of 9,733

Interesting, I too have the LG but much prefer Eikon over Atticus.. but perhaps because I like a more neutral sound. Atticus felt much warmer/colored which many people prefer. Eikon soundstage is also pretty amazing for a closed can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back