ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #2,986 of 9,714
Has anyone heard either with the Bottlehead Crack?

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #2,987 of 9,714
Straight out of the box, yeah. Project Solstice has 3 adjustable output resistance settings: 0.1 ohm, 31 ohms and 68 ohms. You can select them very easily just by moving a jumper around (no soldering required- it's basically like flipping a switch). Of the Garage1217 amps, Project Sunrise also has a similar setting at 69 ohm.... the others had higher resistances (like 120 ohm), so I didn't consider them. I have not yet tried Sunrise. I assume it would also be quite good with Atticus, but I haven't verified that with firsthand listening.

I've listened to Atticus on quite a few different amps at this point, and I would place Solstice squarely in the "Rocks with Atticus" category. A+ synergy. So I would absolutely recommend it, without hesitation at your target price range.

Sounds great. I will keep that in mind for sure then! Thanks. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,988 of 9,714
Has anyone heard either with the Bottlehead Crack?
I built a BHC for the Eikon and they sound great paired. The only other headphones I have that are high impedance are the HD6XX and the T90 the Eikon is a good step up from them. It's almost the love child of the two it takes the best of both the transparency and some of the sparkle of the T90 and the warmth and bass from the HD6XX.
As for the Crack I liked it over Burson soloist SL and Gustard H10 the only other amps I have on hand. I have yet to add speedball I will in the next month for now just loving the tube OTL sound with the Eikon.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,989 of 9,714
I built a BHC for the Eikon and they sound great paired. The only other headphones I have that are high impedance are the HD6XX and the T90 the Eikon is a good step up from them. It's almost the love child of the two it takes the best of both the transparency and some of the sparkle of the T90 and the warmth and bass from the HD6XX.
As for the Crack I liked it over Burson soloist SL and Gustard H10 the only other amps I have on hand. I have yet to add speedball I will in the next month for now just loving the tube OTL sound with the Eikon.

Exactly what I was curious about. I got in on the last Crack sale, as it was practically half off for a C+SB. My Elise was a bad pairing, the tone was really wonky, but the staging and buttery smoothness was great. Hoping for good stuff with the Crack.

Thanks for the info!

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,990 of 9,714
Straight out of the box, yeah. Project Solstice has 3 adjustable output resistance settings: 0.1 ohm, 31 ohms and 68 ohms. You can select them very easily just by moving a jumper around (no soldering required- it's basically like flipping a switch). Of the Garage1217 amps, Project Sunrise also has a similar setting at 69 ohm.... the others had higher resistances (like 120 ohm), so I didn't consider them. I have not yet tried Sunrise. I assume it would also be quite good with Atticus, but I haven't verified that with firsthand listening.

I've listened to Atticus on quite a few different amps at this point, and I would place Solstice squarely in the "Rocks with Atticus" category. A+ synergy. So I would absolutely recommend it, without hesitation at your target price range.

Looking at this product comparison PDF from the Garage1217 guys, it makes me wonder if Project Sunrise wouldn't be another great match having the 68R setting and being OTL instead of SS output. You get a little more power on Solstice though.

Ponderous man. Really ponderous.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,991 of 9,714
Exactly what I was curious about. I got in on the last Crack sale, as it was practically half off for a C+SB. My Elise was a bad pairing, the tone was really wonky, but the staging and buttery smoothness was great. Hoping for good stuff with the Crack.

Thanks for the info!
I bought another one too so now I'm going to build it and add SB to one then A/B them. I'll keep the one that came out best and sell the other.

PS I would suggest picking up a rac 6as7g power tube or 6n13s like http://m.ebay.com/itm/1x-6N13S-Audiophile-Dual-Triode-Tube-Svetlana-6AS7G-ECC230-6080-NOS-Tested-/322444752950?nav=SEARCH . I preferred​ the 6n13s it had a blacker back ground of the 2 I had. They both have better soundstage and cleaner bass then stock and it's under $20.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,992 of 9,714
Looking at this product comparison PDF from the Garage1217 guys, it makes me wonder if Project Sunrise wouldn't be another great match having the 68R setting and being OTL instead of SS output. You get a little more power on Solstice though.

Zach was telling me that the dynamics don't need a ton of power for volume, maybe 100mW.  Unfortunately, the Sunrise doesn't have 100mW at 300ohms and 68R.  I'd be wary of grabbing one just for the ZMF's.  Maybe try to snag a cheap used one that can be sold if it doesn't work out?

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,993 of 9,714

Why avoid SS at all?

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,994 of 9,714
Zach was telling me that the dynamics don't need a ton of power for volume, maybe 100mW.  Unfortunately, the Sunrise doesn't have 100mW at 300ohms and 68R.  I'd be wary of grabbing one just for the ZMF's.  Maybe try to snag a cheap used one that can be sold if it doesn't work out?

I'm a fairly low volume listener. Moderate to loud volumes over long periods fatigues me. So I got used to listening with less volume.

Sensible advice though! I was thinking of getting the kit and building it. Always in search of something new to try.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,995 of 9,714
Why avoid SS at all?

Not trying to avoid it, but considering I have the Milo I want to explore OTL options. I think I have the SS route buttoned down for my tastes.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,996 of 9,714
For anyone who already has an Eikon or Atticus, what headphone stand are you using?  I want to make sure I have something that will not deform the headband over time and will be able to support the weight properly.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,997 of 9,714
I'm using the Woo Audio HPS-T dual sided stand.  Eikon on one side, Ori on the other.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #2,998 of 9,714
I'm a fairly low volume listener. Moderate to loud volumes over long periods fatigues me. So I got used to listening with less volume.

Sensible advice though! I was thinking of getting the kit and building it. Always in search of something new to try.

I built my Solstice and it was super fun and not all that hard. I highly recommend it if you're considering it.

As to the power thing, remember that power has more advantages than just volume. If it can't even do volume well, it probably won't do things like driver control well either. Hence my caution on the Sunrise. But hey, if you're willing to try it for science... Who can deny science?

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,999 of 9,714
I can certify the Project Solstice on the 68 ohm setting is a home run with the Atticus! Great call @Stillhart!

For anyone who has been following this impedance testing story, here's an update:

@buke9 has also informed me that the 60ohm resistor cable prototype is complete and will ship this week. The 20 & 75 ohm adapter plugs also arrived this weekend. Complete results to follow once the 60 ohm cable gets here!

Chronic Atticus lurker (hoping to get one later this year if Zach offers different woods) & IMO this thread is getting really interesting. I have all SS amps (5 w/1 other F.S.; LC  arrived last wk, V281 later this wk, both for balanced use); they sound sufficiently different that I'm not inclined to buy a tube amp (OTL or otherwise) just for the Atticus, if/when I get one. But I'm very interested @Hansotek's results from playing w/output impedance of various amps. At this preliminary stage, looks like these adapters might be a way to use the Atticus w/a SS amp & get better results than would be possible at std (low) output impedance.

I know your results aren't in yet, and maybe you plan to discuss this in longer write-up...but can you characterize any changes/improvements you heard w/Atticus on PJ, going from lowest output impedance setting to the 68 ohm setting?

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #3,000 of 9,714

Users who are viewing this thread

Back