ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2,956 of 9,747
Finally got my Mogwai amplifier in yesterday and got to compare the Atticus and Eikon together. Made me edit some of my post on my site. The short story is that the Atticus handles Microdynamics wonderfully. Also when switching from Eikon to Atticus I don't hear a downgrade as much now as I do 'tradeoffs'. I have declared a personal favorite of the two and that goes to the Atticus. While I am sure the Mogwai 'measures flat' the specific tubes they have in them now open up the Atticus more. One thing I love about the Atticus is it's realistic timbre. I listen and feel fully satisfied. Both are easily the best two closed backs I have had or heard. They make me love my music more. The Atticus hugs my music and the Eikon serves me my music with a little more finesse, clarity, and accuracy. The Atticus delivers more viscerality, realistic timbre, and nuance. Both are immersive. 

Good to hear. I am saving for my next expected purchase, which would be a Mogwai or Taboo. This is assuming I don't get something else first, LOL.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2,957 of 9,747
Hello, new Blackwood owner here.

Even though I'm enjoying my Blackwoods, I can't help but start planning what my next headphone upgrade will be down the road (no hand, stop reaching for that wallet!), and the A & E are high on my list. I've gotten a good idea of the sound quality from reading this thread, but my question is about isolation and sound leakage. I understand that the A & E are more isolating than the Ori, but can anyone who owns both the Blackwood and either the A or E (or Zach of course) give a comparison in those two areas?

Thanks!

I own the Vibro, if that helps. My Atticus and Eikon both isolate better. In the office, I can't hear someone talking right next to me. Good thing my desk faces my office door, or I would never know if there was someone there trying to get my attention.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,958 of 9,747
I own the Vibro, if that helps. My Atticus and Eikon both isolate better. In the office, I can't hear someone talking right next to me. Good thing my desk faces my office door, or I would never know if there was someone there trying to get my attention.

Wow! I guess I just assumed that the Blackwood or Vibro would be more isolating because they seem more closed. Time to start saving up...

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,960 of 9,747
  Finally got my Mogwai amplifier in yesterday and got to compare the Atticus and Eikon together. Made me edit some of my post on my site. The short story is that the Atticus handles Microdynamics wonderfully. Also when switching from Eikon to Atticus I don't hear a downgrade as much now as I do 'tradeoffs'. I have declared a personal favorite of the two and that goes to the Atticus. While I am sure the Mogwai 'measures flat' the specific tubes they have in them now open up the Atticus more. One thing I love about the Atticus is it's realistic timbre. I listen and feel fully satisfied. Both are easily the best two closed backs I have had or heard. They make me love my music more. The Atticus hugs my music and the Eikon serves me my music with a little more finesse, clarity, and accuracy. The Atticus delivers more viscerality, realistic timbre, and nuance. Both are immersive. 

call an ambulance...I'm having an "Atticus lust" attack.

(BTW, thanks for "viscerality." Awesome word!)

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,961 of 9,747
call an ambulance...I'm having an "Atticus lust" attack.

(BTW, thanks for "viscerality." Awesome word!)

You need an emergency audio bypass. Atticus lust attack is not something to take lightly.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,962 of 9,747
You need an emergency audio bypass. Atticus lust attack is not something to take lightly.

You're right!

Emergency audio bypass is an outpatient procedure--they run a 14 gauge ground wire between the ears, straight through the cranium (easily done--a large, empty space)

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #2,963 of 9,747
You're right!

Emergency audio bypass is an outpatient procedure--they run a 14 gauge ground wire between the ears, straight through the cranium (easily done--a large, empty space)

It might be a double audio bypass with a balanced cable.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #2,965 of 9,747
Between the A and the E, which is more Hd650/LCD-x type? Thanks.

That's a tough question. I'd say neither, and I own the 650s. Sure, all 3 do mids so darn well, and you can draw comparisons all day, but IMO the Atticus and Eikon take the entire experience to a much higher level. You know? It's like asking which sounds more like the Koss porta pros, the HD800 or HE6? (That might be a little extreme, but you get my point.)

If you are trying to make a decision between the two, I'd say go Atticus if you like super amazing mids and bass, and go Eikon if you want amazing mids, sub-bass, and treble.

Lots of really good reviews written by the folks here. Read them!

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,966 of 9,747
Check out #12!!!!!

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-worlds-best-headphones-period-pictures/

So weird to be on a list like that, but very cool!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 26, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #2,967 of 9,747
WOOOO! Congrats on that! That's not weird, it's well fricken deserved!

You better bribe Guttenberg with a pair of Eikons so he can get a review up there to go along with the photo.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #2,968 of 9,747
Cheers Proffalkin,

I am in the process of ordering a Glenn OTL amp as well. I have heard a good OTL amp gives the Atticus a balanced sound. I am a little worried that the Eikon may not slam as hard as a Hd650/LCD-x. I am not a bass head but do like a little clean slam. But at the same time don't want the Bass bleeding into the mids.

Regards

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #2,969 of 9,747
Cheers Proffalkin,

I am in the process of ordering a Glenn OTL amp as well. I have heard a good OTL amp gives the Atticus a balanced sound. I am a little worried that the Eikon may not slam as hard as a Hd650/LCD-x. I am not a bass head but do like a little clean slam. But at the same time don't want the Bass bleeding into the mids.

Regards

My Eikon slaughters my HD650 in bass. =) Plenty of slam, no bleed. Go read Aornic's review about that.

A Glenn? Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back