ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 26, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #2,971 of 9,747
Between the A and the E, which is more Hd650/LCD-x type? Thanks.

Eikon closer to LCD-X imo. The two do not have a hd650/600 type of relationship.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #2,972 of 9,747
Cheers Proffalkin,

I am in the process of ordering a Glenn OTL amp as well. I have heard a good OTL amp gives the Atticus a balanced sound. I am a little worried that the Eikon may not slam as hard as a Hd650/LCD-x. I am not a bass head but do like a little clean slam. But at the same time don't want the Bass bleeding into the mids.

Regards

Wonderful choice of amp!

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2,973 of 9,747
Eikon closer to LCD-X imo. The two do not have a hd650/600 type of relationship.

But I think the question comparing the ZMF to the Senns is apropos, in that the HD650 and Atticus are somewhat akin-- they're both typified by a smooth, full-bodied, warm, detailed sound. It's not far off the mark to say the Atticus is like taking the HD650 to the next level, IMO. I would recommend the Atticus to the original inquiry. To my ears, the Eikon is doing something a little different and, to match the first comparison, would be playing more in HD800 territory. Roughly speaking.

"All comparisons are odious." --Huston Smith 

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,974 of 9,747
i really hope soon there will be promo offers for atticus as i am so eager to buy one :)

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,975 of 9,747
I haven't been following this thread as closely as I should because I've been reviewing other stuff, so if this is a repeat of already information I apologize...

Did y'all see that the Eikon made Audiophilac's CNET list of the world's greatest headphones? BOOM!

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-worlds-best-headphones-period-pictures/

Well deserved for Zach! His hard work has paid off. To be completely honest, I'm SMH wondering how it isn't ranked higher than some of the other stuff on the list. To each their own I guess. My list would have them much higher.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,976 of 9,747
I haven't been following this thread as closely as I should because I've been reviewing other stuff, so if this is a repeat of already information I apologize...

Did y'all see that the Eikon made Audiophilac's CNET list of the world's greatest headphones? BOOM!

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-worlds-best-headphones-period-pictures/

Well deserved for Zach! His hard work has paid off. To be completely honest, I'm SMH wondering how it isn't ranked higher than some of the other stuff on the list. To each their own I guess. My list would have them much higher.

Is that list in order? I thought it was assorted in no particular manner, seems weird to me that they'd rank the NightHawks 2nd, I have NHs myself and I absolutely adore their sound, comfort, build, everything, I prefer it to many other headphones I own too but ranking them higher than the Ethers, Eikon, Abyss, etc. seems a little too extreme.

That said, congratulations!

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,977 of 9,747
Is that list in order? I thought it was assorted in no particular manner, seems weird to me that they'd rank the NightHawks 2nd, I have NHs myself and I absolutely adore their sound, comfort, build, everything, I prefer it to many other headphones I own too but ranking them higher than the Ethers, Eikon, Abyss, etc. seems a little too extreme.

That said, congratulations!
Ya you're right, probably not in any particular order.

If Nighthawk is #2, that would be nuts

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,978 of 9,747
Ya you're right, probably not in any particular order.

If Nighthawk is #2, that would be nuts

They are ranked in alphabetical order...

... Of manufacturers that paid CNet the most ad $.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,982 of 9,747
I can certify the Project Solstice on the 68 ohm setting is a home run with the Atticus! Great call Stillhart!

For anyone who has been following this impedance testing story, here's an update:

buke9 has also informed me that the 60ohm resistor cable prototype is complete and will ship this week. The 20 & 75 ohm adapter plugs also arrived this weekend. Complete results to follow once the 60 ohm cable gets here!

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,983 of 9,747
I can certify the Project Solstice on the 68 ohm setting is a home run with the Atticus! Great call @Stillhart!

For anyone who has been following this impedance testing story, here's an update:

@buke9 has also informed me that the 60ohm resistor cable prototype is complete and will ship this week. The 20 & 75 ohm adapter plugs also arrived this weekend. Complete results to follow once the 60 ohm cable gets here!

And all of it portable enough to bring to Canjam in a scant few days!  It should be easy peasy to run some blind testing with resistance adaptors or the jumpers on the Solstice.  Crowd sourcing science ftw!

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,985 of 9,747
"The 68 ohm setting". Is that something you have tinkered with or is the Solstice straight out of the box a perfect match for the Atticus? I am still debating what could be the best amp for the Atticus below 400€.

Straight out of the box, yeah. Project Solstice has 3 adjustable output resistance settings: 0.1 ohm, 31 ohms and 68 ohms. You can select them very easily just by moving a jumper around (no soldering required- it's basically like flipping a switch). Of the Garage1217 amps, Project Sunrise also has a similar setting at 69 ohm.... the others had higher resistances (like 120 ohm), so I didn't consider them. I have not yet tried Sunrise. I assume it would also be quite good with Atticus, but I haven't verified that with firsthand listening.

I've listened to Atticus on quite a few different amps at this point, and I would place Solstice squarely in the "Rocks with Atticus" category. A+ synergy. So I would absolutely recommend it, without hesitation at your target price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back