ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,002 of 9,735
Mar 28, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,003 of 9,735
I can certify the Project Solstice on the 68 ohm setting is a home run with the Atticus! Great call @Stillhart!

For anyone who has been following this impedance testing story, here's an update:

@buke9 has also informed me that the 60ohm resistor cable prototype is complete and will ship this week. The 20 & 75 ohm adapter plugs also arrived this weekend. Complete results to follow once the 60 ohm cable gets here!

Awesome, glad you are enjoying it and it pairs well with the Atticus.

The amps Jeremy makes at Garage1217 are excellent.  They really should get more exposure around here than they do.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,007 of 9,735
Chronic Atticus lurker (hoping to get one later this year if Zach offers different woods) & IMO this thread is getting really interesting. I have all SS amps (5 w/1 other F.S.; LC  arrived last wk, V281 later this wk, both for balanced use); they sound sufficiently different that I'm not inclined to buy a tube amp (OTL or otherwise) just for the Atticus, if/when I get one. But I'm very interested @Hansotek's results from playing w/output impedance of various amps. At this preliminary stage, looks like these adapters might be a way to use the Atticus w/a SS amp & get better results than would be possible at std (low) output impedance.

I know your results aren't in yet, and maybe you plan to discuss this in longer write-up...but can you characterize any changes/improvements you heard w/Atticus on PJ, going from lowest output impedance setting to the 68 ohm setting?

Yeah, I plan on discussing it in a longer write-up. "Better" is, of course, going to be very subjective. Hopefully, I can create something a little more "evergreen" than that - I want to help people dial in the right amping solution for their preferences, budget, etc.

Basically more impedance = more forward mids, up to a certain point (when the lack of damping starts to make the headphone sound too loose). Less impedance = more bass. But there are many other questions to address... how much change can I expect? How effective will adapters be? What are the pros and cons of adapters? How do they sound vs. an amp of equal impedance? What is the best impedance range for me? How loose are the exceptions around that?

There's no right way or wrong way to listen to the Atticus, but I'd like to arm people with the info to get their preferred sound out of it, as it offers a little more sonic leeway than your average headphone.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,008 of 9,735
  I've heard good things about the Woo Audio stands.  That may be what I end up going with.

I don't think you'll find anything better.  The shape fits the headband perfectly and distributes the weight well.  And unlike the omega style stands, which I've tried and abandoned, it allows the pads to come together and sit naturally without compressing them.  It's also height adjustable.  Look into the "Space Gray" color.  It's not listed on the website but it was available when I ordered.  It looks really good.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3,009 of 9,735
+1 on the Woo stand. I have a few, but the Woo is the best (dual-sided).

Agreed.

My only regret is that I got the single headphone version. The double sided one is like $10 more? Worth it.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,010 of 9,735
And although it's not exclusive to the Woo, another nice aspect of their stands is that they stay fairly put-- helpful when you are reaching for your cans with one hand. Easy drop-off, easy pick-up.

BTW, listening to the Norwegian band Gazpacho with the Atticus right now-- loving it.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #3,012 of 9,735
I figure listening to them burns them in just fine. :) Gets mental burn in done at the same time. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3,013 of 9,735
Mar 28, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #3,014 of 9,735
Guys did you burn-in your Eikon after Zach's burn-in? Did you notice improvements? My Mojo Liquid Carbon combo can't wait :p

I burned mine in for around 150 hours and they opened up.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #3,015 of 9,735
Guys did you burn-in your Eikon after Zach's burn-in? Did you notice improvements? My Mojo Liquid Carbon combo can't wait :p

At 150 hours they sound as good as can be. I note improvements in imaging precision, staging and overall bass/mids/treble balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back