ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #3,016 of 9,747
Has anyone compared the Atticus/Eikon to the Fostex TH-900 directly? They are in the same price bracket and are both semi-open/closed with dynamic drivers so they seem like they would be good competition for each other. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,017 of 9,747
  Has anyone compared the Atticus/Eikon to the Fostex TH-900 directly? They are in the same price bracket and are both semi-open/closed with dynamic drivers so they seem like they would be good competition for each other. 

I agree, and I'm sure there will be many such comparisons coming. My guess is that the Atticus will get the nod from most due to the more relaxed/musical signature.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #3,018 of 9,747

IMO, the TH900 has not aged well, especially since the EMU Teak is arguably better for half the price. Still it comes down to preference: the TH900 is v-shaped, the Eikon is relatively flat and the Atticus is warm and gooey. As stated above, most audiophiles are likely going to prefer the Eikon and/or Atticus to the TH900 these days.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #3,019 of 9,747
People are raving about the G1217 amps in here, my concern would be that the initial versions were extremely warm with a collapsed soundstage, have they fixed these issues?

Eikon doesn't need to be more warm IMO.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3,020 of 9,747
I built my Solstice and it was super fun and not all that hard. I highly recommend it if you're considering it.

As to the power thing, remember that power has more advantages than just volume. If it can't even do volume well, it probably won't do things like driver control well either. Hence my caution on the Sunrise. But hey, if you're willing to try it for science... Who can deny science?

Anyone who thinks science is a rational field of thought as opposed to an empirical field of thought? 

Or you?

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #3,021 of 9,747

Anyone who thinks science is a rational field of thought as opposed to an empirical field of thought? 

Or you?

Ideally good science is both.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,022 of 9,747

Or you?

Shots fired! Friendly conversation down! I need backup here!

MEDIC!!!!

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,023 of 9,747
Mar 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,024 of 9,747
  I agree, and I'm sure there will be many such comparisons coming. My guess is that the Atticus will get the nod from most due to the more relaxed/musical signature.

to be honest th900 when i heard it i just was like man those mids are bad, and piercing highs

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #3,025 of 9,747
I wonder how the Eikon compares to the new Denon AH D7200 and if the Eikon is worth the extra $. Looks like both are flat FR.
Initial reviews of the Denon looks good.
http://headphone.guru/denon-ah-d7200-return-magic-sound/

Anyone here has heard both?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,026 of 9,747
  to be honest th900 when i heard it i just was like man those mids are bad, and piercing highs

Yes, I owned the TH900 and while I did like it, I agree that the mids were just not present enough and the highs could get hot, but the treble didn't often bother me. Really liking the Z1R as it addresses both of those points quite nicely while still bringing the bass, but that is for another thread.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,027 of 9,747
I'm going to leave this here because anyone who hangs out in the Atticus/Eikon thread is already a person of intelligence and exceptionally good taste.
wink_face.gif
  Schiit has Black versions of the Jotunheim, Valhalla 2 and Bifrost in stock as of right now.  Since all three of these items would work well with the A&E headphones ( and I just ordered a black Jotunheim for myself) I figured someone else might like to jump on one of these.  Act fast.  If history is any indication they won't have many and they won't last long.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #3,029 of 9,747
I'd die for a black gungnir. But I've already placed an order for a silver multibit which comes back in stock next week.

If an audiophile dies for his black Gungnir, does it make a sound?

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,030 of 9,747
  I'm going to leave this here because anyone who hangs out in the Atticus/Eikon thread is already a person of intelligence and exceptionally good taste.
wink_face.gif
  Schiit has Black versions of the Jotunheim, Valhalla 2 and Bifrost in stock as of right now.  Since all three of these items would work well with the A&E headphones ( and I just ordered a black Jotunheim for myself) I figured someone else might like to jump on one of these.  Act fast.  If history is any indication they won't have many and they won't last long.

Just ordered a Black Bimby even before I read this. Total luck as I just noticed that they had a black version available as I was ordering. 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back