ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 23, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,927 of 9,760
  Just curious but could you share the reasoning for this? Thanks!

Yeah basically what was already said, just want to make sure the most surface area possible is on your head!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 23, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,928 of 9,760
Thank you both. I'll give it a try or 50 until it's ideal — or snaps. Hah.

Lots of messing about. Don't think I can get it any closer than it is now. Enough for a complete, satisfying seal, but still a bit shy of sitting flush. The foam in the pads does loosen up a bit with warmth from your head after you're wearing 'em for a couple of minutes.

Can't wait for the new dac and amp to settle in. Takes maybe ~20 hours or so in my experience with my last few dac/amps before the PSU, capacitors, op-amps, and whatever other components have burned in. I'm pretty sure that this this Eikon is already burned in. Lol.

Edit: May order Ori pads at a later date; I'm good for the moment.

Edit 2: The seal continues to improve the longer the headphones are physically on my head. The warmer the pads are, the more grippy they become.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,929 of 9,760
Maybe we need a headphone pad warmer. I mean why not, there are cup warmer for espresso drinks.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #2,930 of 9,760
Maybe we need a headphone pad warmer. I mean why not, there are cup warmer for espresso drinks.

I like the Atticus warm, but not that warm!

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,935 of 9,760
can anyone compare the atticus to oppo pm1 or pm2

They look different?

Seriously though, I've always heard the PM1 leans toward the crisper / brighter side of things, and lacks impact. That is quite different than the Atticus. I'd be willing to bet they sound completely different. As for the PM2... no clue. It's the blacksheep of the Oppo family.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,936 of 9,760
They look different?

Seriously though, I've always heard the PM1 leans toward the crisper / brighter side of things, and lacks impact. That is quite different than the Atticus. I'd be willing to bet they sound completely different. As for the PM2... no clue. It's the blacksheep of the Oppo family.

the mids of oppo pm1 are the best i heard, so was wondering if atticus would be close to its mids and add on it more bass and sound stage to what oppo pm1 offers

oppo pm1 is not a bright headphone at all, and has warm nice thick mids which i adore

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,937 of 9,760
Owning both the PM1 and the Atticus: I find the PM1 to be smooth/a bit rolled-off up top (nice). But the overall presentation is too polite, lacking dynamic punch. Again, I would characterize the PM1 as 'nice'-- never offensive, but not really exciting or engaging either (kind of like how I feel about the HD650). The Atticus in contrast is much more satisfying to my ears-- while still being a bit laid-back and smooth, it is not boring or un-dynamic. It has a really full, detailed, and tonally rich sound that balances various sonic virtues quite well (and minimizes potential sonic liabilities).

For me, the Atticus is better than other headphones I have and would listen to (for rock mostly): the PM1, the HD650, the D7000, the NightHawk, the Focal Spirit Classic, etc. I like all those--some more than others--but the Atticus bests them. Only the Kennerton Vali equals it, or betters it when wanting a more energetic presentation for more speedy rock, etc. For me know, to be clear. Your mileage may vary...

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #2,938 of 9,760
  the mids of oppo pm1 are the best i heard, so was wondering if atticus would be close to its mids and add on it more bass and sound stage to what oppo pm1 offers

oppo pm1 is not a bright headphone at all, and has warm nice thick mids which i adore

It definitely adds more bass and soundstage, IMO. A closer call with the midrange though.  

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,939 of 9,760
  Owning both the PM1 and the Atticus: I find the PM1 to be smooth/a bit rolled-off up top (nice). But the overall presentation is too polite, lacking dynamic punch. Again, I would characterize the PM1 as 'nice'-- never offensive, but not really exciting or engaging either (kind of like how I feel about the HD650). The Atticus in contrast is much more satisfying to my ears-- while still being a bit laid-back and smooth, it is not boring or un-dynamic. It has a really full, detailed, and tonally rich sound that balances various sonic virtues quite well (and minimizes potential sonic liabilities).

For me, the Atticus is better than other headphones I have and would listen to (for rock mostly): the PM1, the HD650, the D7000, the NightHawk, the Focal Spirit Classic, etc. I like all those--some more than others--but the Atticus bests them. Only the Kennerton Vali equals it, or betters it when wanting a more energetic presentation for more speedy rock, etc. For me know, to be clear. Your mileage may vary...

The Kennerton Vali will be my next headphones if I don't like the Eikon with Rock and Metal.

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #2,940 of 9,760

It definitely adds more bass and soundstage, IMO. A closer call with the midrange though.  

yes oppo pm1 without eq is like what you describe, but you can eq it and turn it into a great engaging headphone. but sound stage is a bit narrow

now for me when i went to a shop i auditioned lcd4, hifiman 1000 and oppo pm1 and i was blown by mids of oppo, i always use eq so I eqed the bass and highs of it and i really liked it more than lcd4 and hifiman just because of those nice mids of oppo pm1. I really liked how well oppo pm1 handles eq unlike the other two when i eq them it can be a bit messy. I am conisdering myself a bass lover and with eq I never ever find oppo pm1 lacking in bass and never distorted when i heavily eqed the bass

now i want the same mids if not better with  more sound stage and a good bass that I can eq if I need more without fearing I will have a distorting driver,  so that is why i am asking about atticus and somthing that is good with eq

what i learned is that a good headphone is one that its drivers can be eqed to once liking, of course eqing mids is the worst task ever, so with oppo they nailed it with mids so equing bass and highs was just easy to do

now i do not want a headphone whose mids are a toruble for me, i love full layered warm mids with weight to the vocals and not recessed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back