ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #6,587 of 9,720
And you guys' suggestions sometimes cost around $3-5k, that makes me so want to ask you - are you'll rich motherf*ckers?
Great post! Had the Atticus, sold it. Was seriously considering Eikon, but no, not when the Auteur exists. Great thing about ZMF is that you can’t really go wrong. And most ZMFers are cool, down-to-earth guys that just love their music, like @zach915m himself.

You want rich motherf*ckers, check out the Meze Empyrean thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meze-empyrean-the-first-isodynamic-hybrid-array-headphone.871859/). Those guys are out of control, ordering blind and boasting how they’re going to pair it with their Chord Dave and Mscaler (or both) :deadhorse:

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #6,588 of 9,720
Finally, after 10 days of talking less to my wife and spending more time on my laptop, finished reading thru (sometimes skimming thru) 6584 posts of this thread. What a ride! What information! It was good, it was bad and sometimes it was ugly too.

Seriously though this single thread can be made into a book full on information that Zach can send to his customers with his cans. You guys spoke about topics ranging from power requirements (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-435#post-14582744) to cables (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...ic-driver-headphones-from-zmf.821782/page-277) to burn in (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-285#post-13706004) to even wood care!! WOOD CARE!!! (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-149#post-13276936) Let alone the number of amps suggested with pros and cons. For the first time I heard new names like MicroZOTL, Torpedo, ampandsound, Gilmore, Auris, Trafomatic.. and many more.. damn!! And the gorgeous pictures of your cans!! @zach915m you should maintain pics of your ltd edition cans in your wood section :). You guys' camaraderie is amazing on different levels. @Pharmaboy @mwhals @Stillhart @ProfFalkin and many others, you're all like amazing characters from a good book. Was finally happy when @mwhals purchased his cans and Milo, was heartbroken when learned that @Pharmaboy sold his Atticus - he waited for a year!! And I had a mini heart attack as well when @ohcrapgorillas dropped a bomb about his "broken" Atticus.

As good as this thread is (spanning over 2 years), the biggest disadvantage is all the information is scattered around like sea shells in a beach. One has to go thru a lot of pain to get the info. It's clearly evident that for every 100 pages, new users come and ask the same questions about amps, genre - can pairing, mid bass sub bass differences etc. I don't know how old head-fi is but I think it hasn't evolved since its beginnings (I'm making assumptions) but if the creator of this website (Jude?) or anyone close to the upper management reading this, try make some improvements like curated sticky lists with useful info about specific cans so you can better segregate the thread discussion and avoid redundancy.

And you guys' suggestions sometimes cost around $3-5k, that makes me so want to ask you - are you'll rich motherf*ckers?

As for me, I still haven't decided which one to get. I'm looking to find someone / some place to audition both Atticus and Eikon. If any of you are are willing to allow me to listen to them for an hour please please let me know. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I also emailed Zach about any NorCal stores that carry them. I know Source AV near LA carries but its a 6hr drive for me.

But putting aside the plethora of subjective opinions, what a thread! I haven't had so much fun reading in a forum. And finally @zach915m take a bow for your products and service. You the new Da Vinci of the headphone community and I'm a new soon to be your customer.

Which way are you leaving from what you've read? I went with the Eikon and love it. I feel like I'll probably buy the Atticus as well when I pay off a bit of debt. I want to hear those bass monsters!

I somes to Zach before I chose and he said that the Eikon is the safest choice if you're not sure. My one regret is that I had to buy used! Wish I had enough to support him.

I agree, btw: great post! Your enthusiasm made me smile

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #6,589 of 9,720
Which way are you leaving from what you've read?
This is gonna be my office headphone. Bass always pumps me up at work so I kind of fixed on the Atticus but "lack of sub bass" as people put it is why I wanna listen to the Eikon as well. I simply love the bass extension on my DT770s. No audio fests happening near by too so if I don't find anyone who let me audition the HPs then most likely I'm gonna buy both used, test, decide, sell them both off and buy a new one from Zach - showing my support.

BTW can someone compare the sub bass of DT770 to Atticus?

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #6,590 of 9,720
This is gonna be my office headphone. Bass always pumps me up at work so I kind of fixed on the Atticus but "lack of sub bass" as people put it is why I wanna listen to the Eikon as well. I simply love the bass extension on my DT770s. No audio fests happening near by too so if I don't find anyone who let me audition the HPs then most likely I'm gonna buy both used, test, decide, sell them both off and buy a new one from Zach - showing my support.

BTW can someone compare the sub bass of DT770 to Atticus?

The Atticus and dt770s are going to sound very different from each other. The dt770 has elevated sub-bass while the Atticus has slightly recessed sub-bass. If you've read all the pages, then I'm sure you know that you can get a different set of pads to extend the bass of the Atticus. While the sub-bass might be slightly recessed, the mid bass is very elevated. Sub-bass is there but mid-bass takes center stage.

Then there's the mid region. It's recessed on the dt770 but elevated on the Atticus. That's going to make vocals/guitars sound soooo much better and full. If you listen to music with vocals as a focus, youryo gonna love it. It's probably something like the HD6XX, if you've heard that.

The treble region is also going to be different. The dt770 is very treble focused and on the Atticus it is slightly recessed or rolled off. From what I've heard, that pad change will amend this as well, but I don't know how much.

In a few ways it's going to be an opposite of what you're used to.

To anyone else who's heard both, is the treble on the Atticus rolled off to the same degree as on the Eikon? I've heard people complain that the Eikon is slightly dark for them and I'm curious.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #6,591 of 9,720
Another question.. Sorry guys! I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I've been messing around with my Eikons and I love them. When I try to EQ then, though, I haven't had a very successful experience. They seem to be pretty stubborn to change, especially in the bass region. Is this anyone elses experience as well?

To clarify, the bass is amazing. I was just curious to see if I could pump out any more.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #6,592 of 9,720
I seem to remember reading that planars respond more evenly/well to EQ than dynamics. No idea, since I only EQ'd one HP (an inexpensive Chinese dynamic), and I'm talking very very modest EQ to get rid of an upper midrange peak (ie, any sliders in Foober that weren't zero'd out were down 1-3 dB).

I find the bass on my Eikon to be rather amazing. It would never occur to me to EQ that.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #6,593 of 9,720
I seem to remember reading that planars respond more evenly/well to EQ than dynamics. No idea, since I only EQ'd one HP (an inexpensive Chinese dynamic), and I'm talking very very modest EQ to get rid of an upper midrange peak (ie, any sliders in Foober that weren't zero'd out were down 1-3 dB).

I find the bass on my Eikon to be rather amazing. It would never occur to me to EQ that.
I know... I'm an animal

I've always been a basshead. After I found the audiophile community, I felt like I had to refine myself and do away with my basshead ways. Always felt dirty to touch an eq. Hell, I even got myself an etymotic er4xr. I hardly ever use it except on planes, but I have a pair lol. My new WM1A DAP is a lot less bassy than my old Fiio. I listened without eq till I found info about the Harmon Target thing. Started bumping some extra Bass from there and have since stopped caring about what I should be doing and all that.

Now I'm an out of the closet basshead.

The Eikon sounds amazing out of the box, though. I just like experimenting.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #6,594 of 9,720
Finally, after 10 days of talking less to my wife and spending more time on my laptop, finished reading thru (sometimes skimming thru) 6584 posts of this thread. What a ride! What information! It was good, it was bad and sometimes it was ugly too.

Seriously though this single thread can be made into a book full on information that Zach can send to his customers with his cans. You guys spoke about topics ranging from power requirements (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-435#post-14582744) to cables (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...ic-driver-headphones-from-zmf.821782/page-277) to burn in (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-285#post-13706004) to even wood care!! WOOD CARE!!! (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...phones-from-zmf.821782/page-149#post-13276936) Let alone the number of amps suggested with pros and cons. For the first time I heard new names like MicroZOTL, Torpedo, ampandsound, Gilmore, Auris, Trafomatic.. and many more.. damn!! And the gorgeous pictures of your cans!! @zach915m you should maintain pics of your ltd edition cans in your wood section :). You guys' camaraderie is amazing on different levels. @Pharmaboy @mwhals @Stillhart @ProfFalkin and many others, you're all like amazing characters from a good book. Was finally happy when @mwhals purchased his cans and Milo, was heartbroken when learned that @Pharmaboy sold his Atticus - he waited for a year!! And I had a mini heart attack as well when @ohcrapgorillas dropped a bomb about his "broken" Atticus.

As good as this thread is (spanning over 2 years), the biggest disadvantage is all the information is scattered around like sea shells in a beach. One has to go thru a lot of pain to get the info. It's clearly evident that for every 100 pages, new users come and ask the same questions about amps, genre - can pairing, mid bass sub bass differences etc. I don't know how old head-fi is but I think it hasn't evolved since its beginnings (I'm making assumptions) but if the creator of this website (Jude?) or anyone close to the upper management reading this, try make some improvements like curated sticky lists with useful info about specific cans so you can better segregate the thread discussion and avoid redundancy.

As for me, I still haven't decided which one to get. I'm looking to find someone / some place to audition both Atticus and Eikon. If any of you are are willing to allow me to listen to them for an hour please please let me know. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I also emailed Zach about any NorCal stores that carry them. I know Source AV near LA carries but its a 6hr drive for me.

But putting aside the plethora of subjective opinions, what a thread! I haven't had so much fun reading in a forum. And finally @zach915m take a bow for your products and service. You the new Da Vinci of the headphone community and I'm a new soon to be your customer.

Thanks for saving my time man. Was looking for that wood care guide!
But I'm a total newbie to these kind of stuff; how do I know whether my ZMF Atticus Manchurian Wood is a Lacquer cup or Varnish cup?

Hmm :|

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #6,595 of 9,720
Thanks for saving my time man. Was looking for that wood care guide!
But I'm a total newbie to these kind of stuff; how do I know whether my ZMF Atticus Manchurian Wood is a Lacquer cup or Varnish cup?

Hmm :|
Ask Zach.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #6,596 of 9,720
Can someone suggest me a less heavy closed-back alternative to the Eikon? They sound really good and I really like their sound signature, but they give me a sore neck after less than an hour :slight_frown:

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #6,598 of 9,720
Wanted to re-read @grizzlybeast's review of Atticus but his website (earphiles.org) redirects to some shady domain. Anyone know what happened? Did he rename his website to something else?
It does look like it's down, I hope it's only for site maintenance.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #6,599 of 9,720
Can someone suggest me a less heavy closed-back alternative to the Eikon? They sound really good and I really like their sound signature, but they give me a sore neck after less than an hour :slight_frown:
neckharness.jpg

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #6,600 of 9,720
Have you tried adjusting the headband for better suspension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back