ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 6, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #6,601 of 9,709
Have you tried adjusting the headband for better suspension?

Yep, tried that, but it doesn't help my neck... I'm looking for something less heavy with a similar sound signature. Since I realize that the Eikon is one of the best in that kind of sound sig, I'm aware that changing them I risk losing in terms of some technicalities...

Any suggestions?

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #6,602 of 9,709
Yep, tried that, but it doesn't help my neck... I'm looking for something less heavy with a similar sound signature. Since I realize that the Eikon is one of the best in that kind of sound sig, I'm aware that changing them I risk losing in terms of some technicalities...

Any suggestions?
Hmm, it sounds a bit silly to say the Eikon doesn't have an equal, but it's true. I can think of a few headphones that have some of its traits, but not all. And none are better built. Maybe fish around for other headphones that use biodynamic drivers - the Fostex range are the most famous, of which the Emu Teak are very well reviewed, possibly the Denon 7200/9200, or the Fostex TH-610/TH-900. Those are probably the only ones I'd consider if was I in the market for a closed back, but would get the Eikon ahead of any of them.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #6,603 of 9,709
Can someone suggest me a less heavy closed-back alternative to the Eikon? They sound really good and I really like their sound signature, but they give me a sore neck after less than an hour :slight_frown:

Hmm, it sounds a bit silly to say the Eikon doesn't have an equal, but it's true. I can think of a few headphones that have some of its traits, but not all. And none are better built. Maybe fish around for other headphones that use biodynamic drivers - the Fostex range are the most famous, of which the Emu Teak are very well reviewed, possibly the Denon 7200/9200, or the Fostex TH-610/TH-900. Those are probably the only ones I'd consider if was I in the market for a closed back, but would get the Eikon ahead of any of them.

As far as the Fostex mods, the Ori is as close as I've found to an Eikon. Not sure which is lighter, but I think it's the Ori. I've been fortunate enough to spend a bit of time with @Pharmaboy 's pair, and they are a damn good set of cans.

EDIT obviously wood choice will make a difference. I believe a Padauk wood Eikon weighs 550 to 600 grams, and Cherry and Walnut Oris are 450-500 g if that helps

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #6,604 of 9,709
As far as the Fostex mods, the Ori is as close as I've found to an Eikon. Not sure which is lighter, but I think it's the Ori. I've been fortunate enough to spend a bit of time with @Pharmaboy 's pair, and they are a damn good set of cans.

EDIT obviously wood choice will make a difference. I believe a Padauk wood Eikon weighs 550 to 600 grams, and Cherry and Walnut Oris are 450-500 g if that helps

Well, it seems the Ori is not appreciably lighter than the Eikon. Below are 2 quotes from Zach. The 1st concerns the Ori (originally called "Omni"); and the 2nd concerns the Eikon:

1 - "Both Cherry and Walnut Omni's are 450-500 g in weight. There is some variance but all my sets weigh in that range. You can add 60-100 g for Blackwood."

2 - "Because the cups are made of solid wood the weight will vary slightly, but generally the weight will be as listed below:

Cherry: 490-530 grams

Padauk: 550-600 grams"
Not sure what my ormosia henryi weighs. No doubt more than cherry, but probably not as much as blackwood. And now I know what my padauk Eikon weighs...

I think the Ori is one of the most interesting closed back headphones around. I love its sound, including really epic bass, far better soundstaging than most closed backs, and both mids & treble being tonally rich & full of information. People knock the treble of this Fostex driver, but I what I hear is all good. The Ori was my 1st planar headphone, and it jump-started my interest in planar HPs that persists to this day (I later acquired 3 open-back planars & currently am obsessing about a 4th).

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones--the weight just doesn't matter to me. I never feel neck strain or any ill effect of listening to these ZMF designs. When I switch to something lighter (ie, HEX v2), I feel the difference in weight, but no particular benefit from lighter weight.

"Lucky" because IMO both ZMF headphones sound amazing--as does the Auteur (finally heard a teak pair the other night, courtesy of @jinxy245, and was very impressed). Looking forward to hearing the Verite & Aeolus at CanJam. All these designs are relatively heavy, in the league of various LCDs (which I also own & appreciate).

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #6,605 of 9,709
It does look like it's down, I hope it's only for site maintenance.
earphiles.org

"This domain name expired on 2018-12-02 06:01:37
Click here to renew it.Click here"

Wish I'd printed it off...

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #6,606 of 9,709

Yes sir, the Ori is a great headphone, I am totally addicted to its sound
Mine is the same wood as Pharmaboy. They are so comfy I don't even think about the weight anymore and mine get a lot of headtime.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #6,607 of 9,709
As far as the Fostex mods, the Ori is as close as I've found to an Eikon. Not sure which is ligjter, but I think it's the Ori. I've been fortunate enough to spend a bit of time with @Pharmaboy 's pair, and they are a damn good set of cans.
I have the Ori (Ormosia Henryi), and they hurt my neck at first, and I thought I was going to have to sell them, because they were so heavy. Well a month has past and they don't feel heavy at all, any more.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #6,609 of 9,709
I will second the neck exercises :jecklinsmile:
If not try to find a used Denon D7000. SImilar sound, there is a bit of sound leakage though, so not sure it will work for you.
Or do what I did, swap the Eikon for Atticus, it will make you forget about the neck or the surroundings :)

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #6,610 of 9,709
I will second the neck exercises :jecklinsmile:
If not try to find a used Denon D7000. SImilar sound, there is a bit of sound leakage though, so not sure it will work for you.
Or do what I did, swap the Eikon for Atticus, it will make you forget about the neck or the surroundings :)

Thanks, I'll be seeking for a used pair of D7000 or E-MU Teak...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #6,611 of 9,709
I'll be getting my fourth soon as well. First had Blackwood, then Ori, then Classic, and soon Eikon LTD. I'm expecting the Eikon to be clearly the best closed back I will have ever heard. High expectations, but so far ZMF has exceeded them every time (granted my expectations for the Blackwood and Ori weren't as high due to lack of experience with ZMF).
I realize this is the Eikon/Atticus thread but can I ask how the Classics compare to the other ZMF headphones you have?

I don’t have any ZMF cans but am considering one of their closed backs. I’ve been looking around this thread and other reviews, there’s hardly any reviews or impressions of the Classics out there. The Blackwood, Atticus and Eikon are all getting up there for the price range I can spend. I’m wondering if the Classics might be a safer low cost option to introduce me to the ZMF house sound.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #6,612 of 9,709
If you are thinking about the classics ... You should consider modhouseaudio argon's .. I have both of these t50rp mods and I prefer the argon's a bit more .. I also have the Eikons and Atticus ... I prefer the Atticus out of all the zmf's I have ... You might want to get an AudioQuest nightowl... I have been extremely pleased with these ...

I can't give you more detailed explanations as to 'why' ... I prefer things ... All of our ears, tastes, setups and music are a bit different

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #6,613 of 9,709
I realize this is the Eikon/Atticus thread but can I ask how the Classics compare to the other ZMF headphones you have?

I don’t have any ZMF cans but am considering one of their closed backs. I’ve been looking around this thread and other reviews, there’s hardly any reviews or impressions of the Classics out there. The Blackwood, Atticus and Eikon are all getting up there for the price range I can spend. I’m wondering if the Classics might be a safer low cost option to introduce me to the ZMF house sound.

There's no comparison. In terms of tonality, the Classic is much, much darker than the Blackwood, Ori, Eikon. Not the same sound signature at all. But it's not a very offensive one; too dark but the treble is clean and the mids are full and pleasant. The other ZMFs I've owned are much better balanced, more extended, more detailed and transparent everywhere making every instrument and voice sound more lifelike. Sound staging abilities start to open up with the Ori and more with the Eikon. But for $300, the ZMF Classic is my favorite.

The Argon Mk3, which I've owned with ZMF lambskin pads, sounds a lot like the Classic but bassier... extremely bassy.

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #6,615 of 9,709
If you are thinking about the classics ... You should consider modhouseaudio argon's .. I have both of these t50rp mods and I prefer the argon's a bit more .. I also have the Eikons and Atticus ... I prefer the Atticus out of all the zmf's I have ... You might want to get an AudioQuest nightowl... I have been extremely pleased with these ...

I can't give you more detailed explanations as to 'why' ... I prefer things ... All of our ears, tastes, setups and music are a bit different

There's no comparison. In terms of tonality, the Classic is much, much darker than the Blackwood, Ori, Eikon. Not the same sound signature at all. But it's not a very offensive one; too dark but the treble is clean and the mids are full and pleasant. The other ZMFs I've owned are much better balanced, more extended, more detailed and transparent everywhere making every instrument and voice sound more lifelike. Sound staging abilities start to open up with the Ori and more with the Eikon. But for $300, the ZMF Classic is my favorite.

The Argon Mk3, which I've owned with ZMF lambskin pads, sounds a lot like the Classic but bassier... extremely bassy.

Thanks for the replies! I'd never heard of the Argon mods, looks interesting. And I've read over reviews of the NightOwls and it seemed they were a very divisive headphone - I'm intrigued and would love to hear them one day.

But based on your thoughts above, I think it's looking like the best option for me might be just to save my pennies for some time and then eventually get the Atticus'. I had assumed the Classics would be a similar sound but less refined and detailed than the higher priced t50rp mods, but it's great to hear a comparison from someone who has them all. Although the Atticus' are more than I was thinking of spending, in reality they have pretty much everything on my wish list: closed with good isolation so I can use them in an office setting, etc., good bass, an engaging sound without too harsher treble, can connect to balanced sources; plus, they look great :) I'm keen on avoiding too much in the way of future upgrades, so going straight in for the Atticus' makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back