ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4,141 of 9,716
You should give the DanaCable Lazuli a whirl. I pair it with all my ZMFs. Smooth highs, very relaxed and un-strained midrange, and absolutely thunderous bass. I also have a Draug 2, which sounds absolutely horrible in direct comparison.

It's also worth mentioning that all of the DanaCable products have a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee, so you don't have to take my word for it, you can try it for yourself. FWIW, I've purchased 6 cables from them and I've never sent one back.

I assume this is an all silver cable

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #4,142 of 9,716
No regrets. Different sound depending on how I feel.

It's how I feel with headphones. They sound different for sure and I don't mean just between Atticus and Eikon, which I have not heard yet. I've gone from a modified HD650 to T1 to HD800 to LCD-2f. All still in my possession. It's a very interesting shift of tone. As I posted in the LCD-2 thread, I said that after hearing LCD-2f, I find my HD800 and T1 bass rather meek lol. I also find the Audeze mids rather moist and who can resist a female vocalist moist lips on your ears. :)

Now I'm looking forward to Eikon and Atticus to see what experience it will bring me... Marilyn Monroe wrapping her arms and legs around me might be a bit too much to ask. :wink:

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #4,143 of 9,716
How long did it take you to get your Forza cable once you ordered it? I've read a few posts that it can take a while...

I got my Forza cable in 4-5 weeks from order date. A little longer than some others reported on the Forza Audio thread, but not a real problem. The headphones I got them for (ZMF Ori), took 2 months or so to arrive. These products are hand-built; depending on the # of orders and time of year, it can take a little less time, or a little more.

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #4,145 of 9,716
I got my Forza cable in 4-5 weeks from order date. A little longer than some others reported on the Forza Audio thread, but not a real problem. The headphones I got them for (ZMF Ori), took 2 months or so to arrive. These products are hand-built; depending on the # of orders and time of year, it can take a little less time, or a little more.

Good to know. I waited 4 weeks for 2 custom cables for my HD6xx from Impact and could not be happier. Quality takes time.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #4,146 of 9,716
Wow killer price for a cable. Cost $1200 to $1400 for a cable with Audeze connections. :ksc75smile: Even an adapter xlr to 1/4 inch cost $400 to $500.

Thanks for the recommendation and I'm sure it's good but I'll pass. I better not listen to these cables. Similarly the Cardas Clear cables at AUD$1000 just make me say no. Heard the Cardas with the HD800 and LCD-2f at the store.

Oh good lord, no. That's for the Lazuli Reference Cable specially made for the LCD-4 (and the Abyss and Utopia). The Reference is totally overkill here. The cable I use (and was recommending) was the standard version, which is $549.

It can be found here: http://danacables.com/product/lazuli-ad/

IMO, that $549 cable beats out the Kimber Axios, which is $400 more. Still not cheap, but a massive improvement over the more popular stuff from Moon, Norne, etc. IMHO, YMMV, of course.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #4,147 of 9,716
Sorry, but when I can pick up a preowned Atticus for the price of one 3 meter DanaCable, I have to think this solidly either a pure snake oil & price gouging or placebo item. Or both.

I'm sure they are good quality based on your recommendation, as you haven't steered me wrong yet, but I just don't see how anyone could justify it. Even if the cable made a 5% improvement in sound, the cost:benefit defies logic. Hell, even the Norne cables are a stretch of logic at 1/3rd the price.

:worried:

You know, at one point I thought the same thing. I walked up to Dana's booth at Axpona in 2016 thinking he was probably selling snake oil. I was really only there because they were splitting a booth with Wells Audio. I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes at the guy when he suggested a demo. He had an A/B comparison set up at the booth between his cable and a stock cable on the HE560. It took me about 5 seconds of listening to realize I was dead wrong. I was so impressed, I stayed in touch and eventually ended up reviewing the Lazuli and Lazuli Reference here:
http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e..._Lazuli_Reference_Headphone_Cables_Review.htm

You know by now that I take recommendations pretty seriously, and spending $549 on a cable ain't for everybody. And that's totally, 100% okay. I only brought it up because there were a string of cable recommendations, and I've tried A LOT of them. But anyway, here's my take on it: I feel a lot better recommending a cable that stretches somebody's budget, but makes a very noticeable positive difference vs. a cable that conveniently fits someone's budget, but barely makes any difference at all. IMO, that's just throwing your money away.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #4,148 of 9,716
You know, at one point I thought the same thing. I walked up to Dana's booth at Axpona in 2016 thinking he was probably selling snake oil. I was really only there because they were splitting a booth with Wells Audio. I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes at the guy when he suggested a demo. He had an A/B comparison set up at the booth between his cable and a stock cable on the HE560. It took me about 5 seconds of listening to realize I was dead wrong. I was so impressed, I stayed in touch and eventually ended up reviewing the Lazuli and Lazuli Reference here:
http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e..._Lazuli_Reference_Headphone_Cables_Review.htm

You know by now that I take recommendations pretty seriously, and spending $549 on a cable ain't for everybody. And that's totally, 100% okay. I only brought it up because there were a string of cable recommendations, and I've tried A LOT of them. But anyway, here's my take on it: I feel a lot better recommending a cable that stretches somebody's budget, but makes a very noticeable positive difference vs. a cable that conveniently fits someone's budget, but barely makes any difference at all. IMO, that's just throwing your money away.

I can't say to what extent exotic materials and build make a difference, but the ZMF OFC Copper made a difference over the stock, and I'm using an OCC Cable with my Eikon now and it made a big improvement to clarity.

I've had my OCC Cable for a few years now, originally got it as an improvement over the OCC that came with my ATH W1000X, non the less it cost me around $150 give or take, that said I'd recommend an well built OCC Cable with the Eikon. As far as how the build quality changes, and how that change in build relates to sound, I can't say, but still I'm excited to hear @zach915m OCC Cable when he has it ready! Based on how much I love his OFC Cable with my HE 4, I'm sure their OCC offering will be a nice step up at least in build quality from what I have now!

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #4,149 of 9,716

Hmmm... Like I said, you haven't steered me wrong yet, but I'm extremely skeptical. Think Dana will be at RMAF this October? One way to know for sure would be to try it.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #4,150 of 9,716
I assume this is an all silver cable
From their website it seems to be a copper cable, at least from their description. It did sound really good when I had the chance to try a friend's Lazuli Reference.

They are extremely heavy gauge OFC copper. Keep in mind, Silver is only 5% more conductive than OFC, but going 3 gauges lower cuts resistance in half. His cables are all very heavy gauge and very low resistance.

Hmmm... Like I said, you haven't steered me wrong yet, but I'm extremely skeptical. Think Dana will be at RMAF this October? One way to know for sure would be to try it.

Yeah, I'm sure he will be. He was there last year. He had a table inside right next to the Wells table. Make sure and try his amp, too. It's a freaking beast. I would imagine it's due to be released next year.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #4,151 of 9,716
Oh good lord, no. That's for the Lazuli Reference Cable specially made for the LCD-4 (and the Abyss and Utopia). The Reference is totally overkill here. The cable I use (and was recommending) was the standard version, which is $549.

That's good to hear but as you said $549 is still a lot of money.

I'm a bit confused about Zach's OCC cable. Is it not out yet?

What about the Double Helic on the ZMF website?

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #4,152 of 9,716
That's good to hear but as you said $549 is still a lot of money.

I'm a bit confused about Zach's OCC cable. Is it not out yet?

What about the Double Helic on the ZMF website?

Double Helix Cables are another outfit, Zach sells one of their OCC Cables but as far as I know he's building one to sell under his ZMF brand, like the OFC cable they've already released

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #4,153 of 9,716
Double Helix Cables are another outfit, Zach sells one of their OCC Cables but as far as I know he's building one to sell under his ZMF brand, like the OFC cable they've already released

Thanks Mshenay. I'll wait for Zach to produce his in-house OCC cables then. I'm already getting a free OFC cable for buying Eikon and Atticus. Besides I have now a Forza Audioworks cable with Audeze connections that is part copper and part silver.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4,154 of 9,716

^^^ Yep ^^^

We actually don't sell the DHC made cables anymore but are using the last of our DHC wire on our house made OCC cables. I should have our own wire/cables up in the next 7-10 days with pics on the website.

DHC cables are amazing btw, I truly love them for a great high end boutique offering. Also +1 for Dana Cables. Great guy too!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #4,155 of 9,716

[WARNING TO CABLE DENIERS: This post may annoy you]

I know well from my audiophile days just how much difference cables can make in sound. That involved interconnects between sources + speaker cables. With headphones, the cable interface is so much more immediate and personal: whatever difference a cable makes, sonically and electrically (impedance, capacitance, etc)--it will be clearly audible & unmistakable.

I read your reviews of these Danacables, and it made me crazy. I was cable shopping for my new Ori & had little doubt you were correct in what you said about these cables. But the price of the standard Lazuli cable (~$650 at the 2M length I require) stopped me cold. Then again, in the months immediately following, I spend a multiple of that amt on amps (another addiction); got a Forza Audio Works balanced cable + pigtail that cost ~1/3 of that price; plus bought an E-Mu Teak. So obviously I could have afforded it.

If I ever get an Atticus, I may finally pony up the $$ for the std Lazuli cable. I know it would be good; and ZMF headphones are so outstanding (based on my experience w/the Ori + my friend's Eikon)--I know the investment would be repaid sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back