ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 14, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #6,616 of 9,716
It’s Friday and it seems the forum is slowly starting to see wake up. Wanted to leave this here:

giphy.gif

Attachments

• 41FAC5D4-E2CB-4749-A7FE-A365EDFF59F0.gif
    41FAC5D4-E2CB-4749-A7FE-A365EDFF59F0.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #6,617 of 9,716
It’s Friday and it seems the forum is slowly starting to see wake up. Wanted to leave this here:

I'm really curious which Suede pads he had on those Atticus..or if it even matters...since there is Universe/Ori/Eikon in Suede.

On the ZMF site it says Atticus now available in Eikon Suede..so maybe he had Eikon Suede on it? Don't know..

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #6,618 of 9,716
I'm really curious which Suede pads he had on those Atticus..or if it even matters...since there is Universe/Ori/Eikon in Suede.

On the ZMF site it says Atticus now available in Eikon Suede..so maybe he had Eikon Suede on it? Don't know..

That’s a great question. I think most of us know the Atticus in it’s stock form (Ori pads) has quite the mid bass bump. He mentions he can can see it being used as studio reference headphones. Could be the THX-AAA 789 which has an almost flat FR and with the added ear pad swap really made a big change to the sound of the Atticus.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #6,619 of 9,716
sqgz0rlvi2521.jpg

Just got these from the post office ^^

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #6,622 of 9,716
they hardly leak ^^

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #6,623 of 9,716
they hardly leak ^^
My Audeze XC seem to leak quite a lot according to my wife trying to watch television - to be honest, with the volume turned down, I can hear the TV clearly - the XC's pads don't seem to squeeze tight enough.
Looking forward to trying the ZMFs.

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #6,624 of 9,716
How do you find their isolation?
Thinking of getting a pair and isolation is very important to me (and my wife!).
isolation is moderate, imo. at my normal listening volume they can be heard to about 3-4 feet away, but it's very low/muffled. you know music is playing but it's not loud at all. but if you need silence, then these will not work. the best isolating sets i've had so far have both been beyerdynamic, the t70 and dt1770 both with leather pads on. at very high volumes those were pretty much silent to everyone except myself! back to the zmf though, how much isolation do you need? my wife could easily sit next to me while listening, and the tv will drown out the leakage. but i will get some sound intrusion, unfortunately. a lot will depend on the wife's tolerance for noise, and your preferred listening volumes. i'm on the louder side of things so my leakage will be worst than most. edit - i'm using the leather pads. suede leak worst...

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #6,625 of 9,716
isolation is moderate, imo. at my normal listening volume they can be heard to about 3-4 feet away, but it's very low/muffled. you know music is playing but it's not loud at all. but if you need silence, then these will not work. the best isolating sets i've had so far have both been beyerdynamic, the t70 and dt1770 both with leather pads on. at very high volumes those were pretty much silent to everyone except myself! back to the zmf though, how much isolation do you need? my wife could easily sit next to me while listening, and the tv will drown out the leakage. but i will get some sound intrusion, unfortunately. a lot will depend on the wife's tolerance for noise, and your preferred listening volumes. i'm on the louder side of things so my leakage will be worst than most. edit - i'm using the leather pads. suede leak worst...
Sitting with my XCs on just now and if I turn the volume down I can hear the TV as if I wasn't wearing phones. Assuming as much leaks out as leaks in, I can understand why my wife complains - we resort to loudness wars until my ears are bleeding or the TV explodes.

In all seriousness, I read a review of the Atticus or Eikon where the reviewer claimed he couldn't hear any normal external sounds i.e. doorbell when wearing.

That would be perfect for me.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #6,626 of 9,716
Sitting with my XCs on just now and if I turn the volume down I can hear the TV as if I wasn't wearing phones. Assuming as much leaks out as leaks in, I can understand why my wife complains - we resort to loudness wars until my ears are bleeding or the TV explodes.

In all seriousness, I read a review of the Atticus or Eikon where the reviewer claimed he couldn't hear any normal external sounds i.e. doorbell when wearing.

That would be perfect for me.

For what it is worth, before I got my own dedicated listening room...I use to listen only about 12 feet away from my wife when she was watching tv....she never complained she could hear them and at times I can listen pretty loud...
I even asked her if she could hear the music when it was pretty loud and she said no.

I think you will like :)

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #6,627 of 9,716
For what it is worth, before I got my own dedicated listening room...I use to listen only about 12 feet away from my wife when she was watching tv....she never complained she could hear them and at times I can listen pretty loud...
I even asked her if she could hear the music when it was pretty loud and she said no.

I think you will like :)
What I am struggling to get my head around is how phones with holes can isolate more than phones without. I suppose a lot has to do with the pads. HD820s don't isolate at all.

What do you recommend - Atticus or Eikon? Understand Atticus more fun while Eikon more refined?

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #6,628 of 9,716
What I am struggling to get my head around is how phones with holes can isolate more than phones without. I suppose a lot has to do with the pads. HD820s don't isolate at all.

What do you recommend - Atticus or Eikon? Understand Atticus more fun while Eikon more refined?

I have the Ori & Atticus and my wife could not hear either one....not sure of the reason why.

I have never heard the Eikon, so I can not comment on that.

The Atticus is great and yes it is fun...the Ori is fun also.

Dec 18, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #6,629 of 9,716

Only one port is open on the eikon, and it's covered by acoustic filter paper that makes it not completely open. The headphone is extremely closed, with a proper seal it has about 24/25 dB of attenuation. A lot of closed headphones compensate for being closed by using less dense foam (or covering) in the earpad which can leak. We just use the dense stuff there too, no perforation in the earpads at all and a denser "seal" layer of foam on the bottom of the earpad near the attachment ring.

Low to medium volume and nobody will be able to hear a thing with lambskin pads. YMMV and all that ofcourse!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 18, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #6,630 of 9,716

Yes, refined-Eikon and fun-Atticus is an appropriate simple way to define the difference between the two. Neither is better or worse than the other. Just different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back