ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,222 of 9,715
It's my custom to avoid any medical treatment that begins with, "Die."

Then you are good to go since dialysis start with "Dia" and has a different sound to it, no pun intended. :)

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #2,223 of 9,715
Took Zach's suggestion .. Ori pads on Atticus ... sounds a bit wider and for me a bit more comfortable.. claps tighter ... paddock weight sometimes feels like they will slip off my small head

IMO Eikon matchs to liquid carbon a bit better then magni 2 uber

Atticus sounds good on both of my amps (a bit different)

Just ordered my first set of matched tubes for my future mjorlnir

You know it is pretty cool being single and employed.

Now more listening time for Eikon

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,224 of 9,715
What is he9? New Hifiman product?

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,225 of 9,715
What is he9? New Hifiman product?

Audio GD head amp/pre amp. It's been around awhile.

http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE-9/HE-9EN.htm

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #2,226 of 9,715
Feb 18, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2,227 of 9,715
Feb 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #2,230 of 9,715
Anyone have some wood care advice?

Good question. Hey zach915m! Thoughts, tips, tricks for care and cleaning?

Will my bio drivers get hungry, and what do I feed them? So far baby food carrots and peas aren't resulting in a well fed sound.

Thank you Sir!

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,231 of 9,715

Zach is obviously the expert here.

I start with an understanding that some things people recommend for wood maintenance (lemon oil, orange oil, etc) are mild, acidic cleaners...kind of a watered-down cleaning fluid. I guess if your headphones are  shockingly filthy, you could use lemon oil (not making a habit of it). But even though varnish and lacquer finishes shouldn't be affected by lemon oil--why take a chance with these magnificent wooden earcups?

For my Ori (which came varnished), I'll use a slightly damp, soft cotton cloth to wipe off the worst of fingerprints--if it ever needs that. Remember, any finishing coat is relatively thin, and heavy rubbing even w/a soft cloth can eventually affect the finish slightly.

I guess you could go one step farther and use a quality, light-weight furniture wax (gently apply; let dry; gently "buff out" w/soft cotton cloth). That would have to be periodically renewed, like any wax. The benefit of wax is that the wax, not the wood, is primarily affected by rubbing. Still, I wouldn't bother w/wax unless the headphones were getting handled a LOT.

Related commonsense directive: don't leave your headphones lying in direct sunlight very much unless you're OK w/the color darkening unpredictably (ie, the portion getting the most sunlight gets darker).

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #2,232 of 9,715
Are the bio-drivers organic?  I simply can't let little Jimmy put them on his head if they aren't organic.  What if he gets ear cancer?  Who is to blame here?

And if they are organic could I compost them?  Would my plants grow with the ZMF house sound in them?  I do enjoy neutral flowers.

edit: Does wood have gluten in it?

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,233 of 9,715
  Are the bio-drivers organic?  I simply can't let little Jimmy put them on his head if they aren't organic.  What if he gets ear cancer?  Who is to blame here?

And if they are organic could I compost them?  Would my plants grow with the ZMF house sound in them?  I do enjoy neutral flowers.

edit: Does wood have gluten in it?

I dont know if you're joking seems like it :p but i have been curious about material since i read about those Japanese patents that Fostex got the rights to from that Anjimoto or w/e company. Are these in Eikon same material @zach915m .

I have been curious about driver materials in general, like with Beyerdynamic, they don't release that info and surprisingly nothing on head-fi i can find. It looks really weird the diaphragm material. How is it that its not known? :p

As far as I learned, the E-Mu, Thx00, Klipsch Heritage, Denon etc use the ones allowed by Anjimoto to Fostex. Can someone who knows tell me.

"Biocellulose is a cellulose produced by bacteria. Sony and co-operation with Anjinomoto; use aceto bacteria to produce cellulose fibers. Actually, there was report or research about the cellulose production by bacteria in 1886. But at that time, there was no way to study the kinetic research of the cellulose. These cellulose is same like cellulose which produced by plants, but the shape and physical specifications is different, and have a very good sound characteristic."

Also interested in comparisons if anyone has Eikon and any of the other E-Mu/ThX00

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,234 of 9,715

I dont know if you're joking seems like it :p but i have been curious about material since i read about those Japanese patents that Fostex got the rights to from that Anjimoto or w/e company. Are these in Eikon same material @zach915m .

I have been curious about driver materials in general, like with Beyerdynamic, they don't release that info and surprisingly nothing on head-fi i can find. It looks really weird the diaphragm material. How is it that its not known? :p

As far as I learned, the E-Mu, Thx00, Klipsch Heritage, Denon etc use the ones allowed by Anjimoto to Fostex. Can someone who knows tell me.

"Biocellulose is a cellulose produced by bacteria. Sony and co-operation with Anjinomoto; use aceto bacteria to produce cellulose fibers. Actually, there was report or research about the cellulose production by bacteria in 1886. But at that time, there was no way to study the kinetic research of the cellulose. These cellulose is same like cellulose which produced by plants, but the shape and physical specifications is different, and have a very good sound characteristic."

Also interested in comparisons if anyone has Eikon and any of the other E-Mu/ThX00

I'm pretty sure he was joking...

The only driver material I've ever heard any safety comments about was beryllium (supposedly you shouldn't touch the actual drivers). Same for speakers that use it in tweeters.

I'd love to hear a comparison of both the Eikon & Atticus to E-MU Teak. There really aren't many wooden earcup headphones to compare them to -- beyond the much discussed TH-X00's, which aren't in the league of the E/A, from what I can tell (I sold my TH-X00's months ago).

I've been jonesing on-and-off for the E MU Teak for months; and more recently, really got interested in the Atticus.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,235 of 9,715

Will get more info up soon, but in short, if you have Varnish cups use this and ONLY this:  https://www.amazon.com/BW-Casey-Stock-Sheen-Conditioner/dp/B0009TNNYC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487540485&sr=8-3&keywords=tru+oil+conditioner

If you have Lacquer cups use this and ONLY this:  https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Professional-Guitar-Polish-Cleaner/dp/B01HOTB5LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487540518&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+guitar+cleaner

I have been curious about driver materials in general.

The driver membrane is a polyurethane + bio-cellulose hybrid material, a small amount of polyurethane was added after I noted that the sound was a touch too "nodal" in the early drivers as we really wanted a more "planar hybrid" type sound that comes from the entire driver working as a unit.  That's how we ended up with this material and the rubber surround.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back