Atrio MG7 the best IEM for a basshead audiophile?
Oct 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mugen3

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've had a couple of really nice IEMs like the FX500 and e-Q5. I really liked them a lot but the bass didn't satisfy me. So now I'm looking for a new IEM, with the absolute craziest earthquake-like bass possible but also very good quality mids and highs like my FX500/e-Q5. Are the Atrio MG7 the best option I have (under $200)?

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 20
You need to check out the Monster Miles Davis Tribute's. I just ordered a pair today. From the research I have done, they have amazing bass with mids that rival the Shure SE535's and the highs are said to be really nice with no harshness.

But then they are about $50 above your budget new.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 20
You can get the Miles Davis for $200 from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Monster+-+Miles+Davis+Tribute+Earbud+Headphones+-+Black/Gold/1114267.p?id=1218222411668&skuId=1114267

Check out Joker's review for his bass comments. Huge bass+forward mids. Otherwise maybe the Radius DDM?

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 20
"earthquake like bass" sounds like you want the sub-bass rumble and no IEM will give this to you better than the Atrio's!

A lot of members here who have used the Atrio's, including myself, will tell you nothing can match the Atrio's sub-bass. Which is why no IEM has knocked the Atrio off the top spot for me in the last 4 years!

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 20
Thanks guys. The MDT seemed interesting but are off my mind now after reading Joker's review. "The amount of sub-bass on the MD Tributes trumps all but the FutureSonics Atrio."
bigsmile_face.gif

Any other in ears I should look at?

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Thanks guys. The MDT seemed interesting but are off my mind now after reading Joker's review. "The amount of sub-bass on the MD Tributes trumps all but the FutureSonics Atrio."
bigsmile_face.gif

Any other in ears I should look at?

It ain't all about the bass. :wink:

I don't think you'll find many more bass heavy IEM's than the Atrio tbh.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 20
Keep in mind |joker| has a bias toward bass-lite, treble-centric sounds. And that's fine, everyone has their preference. He's grown as a reviewer, but someone else would probably rate an iem like the Atrio higher and an iem like the ck10 lower.

The MG7 Atrio is definitely your best choice. The slow, overly warm midrange of the Miles Davis Tribute keep it from being as good as the Atrio if that sort of midrange isn't to your preference.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 20
The MDT is certainly NOT the bass heaviest in the Monster lineup, the Turbine Pro Gold is. That aside, the MTPG and Atrio's are your best bet, though the Hippo VB's also have an overwhelming amount of bass, far too much for my liking. I'd also pay a visit to the newly announced TFTA's, which seem to offer unprecedented bass, though I've yet to hear them for myself. As far as sub-bass is concerned, the Atrio remains the most competent in-ear I've heard, period. But if we are strictly talking in terms of the OVERALL bass heaviest signature, the MTPG and VB's are one step ahead. The Atrio, however, certainly excels either one in terms of technical proficiency IMO. 
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Hey guys, I've had a couple of really nice IEMs like the FX500 and e-Q5. I really liked them a lot but the bass didn't satisfy me.

Seeing as the FX500 has a more of a sub-bass emphasis I would think this is not to your liking it seems you actually are looking for mid-bass/some upper punch I would suggest the FX700 since it moves the hump up a bit.

Quote:
The MDT is certainly NOT the bass heaviest in the Monster lineup, the Turbine Pro Gold is.. 
smile.gif

Agreed also again on this seeing as you think you need more bass coming from the Fx500 I would point you toward mid-bass the MD has both sub and mid-bass in spades but It's the mid-bass I think your after. Funny the Atrio is not preferred with Dub-step or even Hip-Hop for me since the mid-bass is missing I used Eterna or Fx700 for those two genre's just because I prefer a more mid-bass tuning.

All in all I would suggest FX700 > MD

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 20
You bring up a good point Confispect. The FX500 does indeed have plenty of sub bass, but it doesn't satisfy me. So a mid bass/upper bass hump might actually be what I'm looking for. I haven't owned any in ears with such a hump either. The FX700 seems like a really nice pair of IEMs but unfortunately its out of my budget.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 20
Ah didn't see the budget well it's up to you but I prefer the Fx500 to the Gold so your kinda in a hotspot. I suggest you get the Gold's and see if there to you liking you can always sell them also see if you can find a cheap MD. Or just ask I2 to lower the price on his DDM2 
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Ah didn't see the budget well it's up to you but I prefer the Fx500 to the Gold so your kinda in a hotspot. I suggest you get the Gold's and see if there to you liking you can always sell them also see if you can find a cheap MD. Or just ask I2 to lower the price on his DDM2 
tongue.gif

you would say the DDM2's are better than the MTPG's? i've been looking for a decent upgrade to my golds, they sound real good but i want something with a larger soundstage...

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 20
If you're thinking about bass quantity, go for the Fischer Audio Eterna with Biflanges.

Comparing MG7 and Eterna side by side, Eterna's puch is by far stronger, but with lots of midbass and you can't compare the control.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 20
The Atrios have always set the standard for sub-bass and I don't see them getting dethroned anytime soon. I had MTPG and sold them because the Atrios spanked them so thoroughly in the Bass Dept. The Atrios Bass is not only deep, but it very accurate and not sloppy at all, a very high quality Bass sound. And with the new transducer, the mids and the treble are also very good and rival my Turbine Golds. I was looking for the most extreme, accurate (well, as accurate as bass can be) deep, non-invasive bass and the Atrios are the only choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back