ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Aug 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #331 of 801
Quote:

I like doing things myself, usually, and I practiced on a couple of cheapies picked up at a Big Lots! store as well.  You'll get the hang of it quickly, just remember to keep driver heat to a minimum to prevent burning the voice coil.

thank you for the quick response! 

So, I have to ask:
What was the hardest thing for you to do? 

(Also: Do yours still work? Did you notice any sound loss [just curious]?) 

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #332 of 801
I gave one away, and the other I kept (JVC Flats).  I kept the one with the uglier looking cable, lol!  I didn't notice any sound loss.

Hardest thing?  Building a custom cable takes more effort and time, usually.   Making an M50's cable detachable is quick and easy.
(or maybe I just feel that way because of my diy experience)

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #333 of 801
Quote:
I gave one away, and the other I kept (JVC Flats).  I kept the one with the uglier looking cable, lol!  I didn't notice any sound loss.

Hardest thing?  Building a custom cable takes more effort and time, usually.   Making an M50's cable detachable is quick and easy.
(or maybe I just feel that way because of my diy experience)

I agree. But building custom cables has the advantage that you can make the cable whatever length you want. I made a cable for my M50s for portable use that is just the length I need to hold my phone with my arm straight down.

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #334 of 801
And with those lovely Amphenol plugs, too!

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #336 of 801
So, I decided to perform a proof-of-concept on an old broken pair of headphones as I never have done this before. 

After doing this one, I still do not yet feel 100% certain of my abilities. 

So, I am going to buy a pair of cheap headphones and try to really get down the technique of everything. 

Here was the finished product after about 2 hours of cutting, soldering, shimmying, and gluing (I used 2 stage plastic epoxy that secured the 3.5mm jack firmly).

Yl52M6l.jpg

6ukanbe.jpg

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #337 of 801
Quote:

I think they are my new Neutriks :)

The inside is well done too i'm quite proud.. these are my first without using heatshrink.

Have you tried out the Amphenol full-sized TRS?  I think you'll love it as well.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #338 of 801
Quote:

Have you tried out the Amphenol full-sized TRS?  I think you'll love it as well.

Those look gorgeous and.. I like the specification:  Diecast Shell And I think if I did not begin this hobby ordering form markertek.. I would have probably chosen aphenol to begin with; They are my favorite right next to the canares. Where are those plugs from though? there's a variation in the size of the shell? that's peculiar; on redco I only see 2 variations in design: right angle and straight

Unfortunately.. I have not really tried many full sized TRS's because.. I just don't have equipment that uses them T.T.. I made 1 full size neutrik which was meant for my keyboard.. and it lead to a 3.55 inline jack.

This is one of my first cables so the quality isn't excellent but.. it works and I really like bigger neutrik connectors like the 1/4" and the XLR's.. very easy to assemble and they look great : 

I think this hobby has been turned into just having fun testing out different connectors and materials.. What kind of equipment is essential and uses 1/4" connectors? I can only think of amplifiers. I wanted to make a Tube Amplifier probably the starving student since I have not much more money to spend on this at the moment.. but I don't know if making an amplifier DIY would be a good idea. I made a CMOY but.. its not even functional T.T I just realized this is the thread on the M50's Mod.. PM me about it.

TL;DR : I would like equipment to use 1/4" connectors..what's essential? 

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #339 of 801
Quote:
So, I decided to perform a proof-of-concept on an old broken pair of headphones as I never have done this before. 

After doing this one, I still do not yet feel 100% certain of my abilities. 

So, I am going to buy a pair of cheap headphones and try to really get down the technique of everything. 

Here was the finished product after about 2 hours of cutting, soldering, shimmying, and gluing (I used 2 stage plastic epoxy that secured the 3.5mm jack firmly).

Yl52M6l.jpg

6ukanbe.jpg

Not too bad.. See, I have a pair of Sony V6's and some people have done the removeable cable mod on them as well.. but the cans are metal and the hole is really small so... I didn't dare touch them.. but it looks like you are using a switchcraft jack? you shouldn't have to change the hole in the M50's apart from removing the little plastic part inside the cans? I think an important part of this mod is choosing a jack that is as SLIM as possible to to reduce any changes in the cans.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #340 of 801
Quote:

Those look gorgeous and.. I like the specification:  Diecast Shell And I think if I did not begin this hobby ordering form markertek.. I would have probably chosen aphenol to begin with; They are my favorite right next to the canares. Where are those plugs from though? there's a variation in the size of the shell? that's peculiar; on redco I only see 2 variations in design: right angle and straight

Unfortunately.. I have not really tried many full sized TRS's because.. I just don't have equipment that uses them T.T.. I made 1 full size neutrik which was meant for my keyboard.. and it lead to a 3.55 inline jack.

This is one of my first cables so the quality isn't excellent but.. it works and I really like bigger neutrik connectors like the 1/4" and the XLR's.. very easy to assemble and they look great : 

I think this hobby has been turned into just having fun testing out different connectors and materials.. What kind of equipment is essential and uses 1/4" connectors? I can only think of amplifiers. I wanted to make a Tube Amplifier probably the starving student since I have not much more money to spend on this at the moment.. but I don't know if making an amplifier DIY would be a good idea. I made a CMOY but.. its not even functional T.T I just realized this is the thread on the M50's Mod.. PM me about it.

TL;DR : I would like equipment to use 1/4" connectors..what's essential? 

Partsexpress has the jumbo that you see in the linked photo.  Neutrik also churned out its own jumbo version of its NP3X.

Desktop amplifiers and instruments use 1/4" TRS jacks.  That's about it as far as audio of the top of my head.  Right-angle TRS plugs are a good choice for cables to be used with keyboards and pedals and such as long as the jack on those things isn't recessed, I think.

On topic: I have an NP3XB on my M50, may do the detachable mod later if I feel like it if the M50 hasn't sold yet, hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back