ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Jul 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #301 of 801
Quote:
Personally, I glued on the inside, looks fine from the outside. Although, I'm not too sure which chassis the Lumberg is exactly (google images spits out a few different results).

I used these:

Apparently they look like this:

I ordered a similar looking one call philmore something. Hopefully it will be the same quality. The one you showed seems to be more compact and the padding might not need to be removing to insert it.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #302 of 801
Quote:
Bought this jack from Amazon a few months ago. I was scared to start. But I went through with it anyway. For those of you that are afraid of ruining your sweet M50's, this is the easier route.

[attach]858407[/attach]

[attach]858410[/attach][/quote]

Wow that looks great! It really goes with the style. I want to do mine the same way, but I can't find the jack, can you send me the link please?

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #303 of 801
Does anyone know where to get a plug that looks similar to the OEM plug on the M50, with the relief spring coil, gold plated, and is has thread locking that is compatible with the lumberg chassis threads? I might as well shorten the original cables and keep it looking OEM.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #304 of 801
Hi

I just got the headphones and I'm thinking of sending it to sound professionals to get the cable detached.  Any reviews or pictures?

Anyone know of any other service/shop that does it as well?

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #305 of 801
Hello,

I'm in the middle of this mod right now and i can't get any sound to come through. I'm using the Philmore 504k phone jack and have tried every possible combination of wires without soldering and I get nothing. I have the female end plugged into my computer playing music constantly and I can't get anything. 

I figured the small silver plug is the ground. The large one and the gold small one are the left and right, though i don't know which is which. 

My fear is that i possibly stripped the wires wrong and cut off too many of the thin braided wires and the headphones aren't getting enough voltage or something? Would it be better for me to solder new wires to the driver. 

Thanks

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #306 of 801
Quote:
Hello,

I'm in the middle of this mod right now and i can't get any sound to come through. I'm using the Philmore 504k phone jack and have tried every possible combination of wires without soldering and I get nothing. I have the female end plugged into my computer playing music constantly and I can't get anything. 

I figured the small silver plug is the ground. The large one and the gold small one are the left and right, though i don't know which is which. 

My fear is that i possibly stripped the wires wrong and cut off too many of the thin braided wires and the headphones aren't getting enough voltage or something? Would it be better for me to solder new wires to the driver. 

Thanks

The middle large plug is the ground. And the other 2 smaller plugs are the signals. The black wire is the ground. Make that connection first. To help know which plug is for which channel, plug in the headphones and play some audio in one of the channels, right or left. You can change those settings if playing from a computer. While playing some audio, solder one wire to see if the correct side of the headphones are playing. If not, desolder it and try the other terminal. Make sure the audio is still playing through after the solder had solidified. Do the same for the other channel.

Also it really helps to tin the wires after stripping them.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #309 of 801
Since this seems to be the only thread anyone actually still uses to talk about the M50's, those of you that have tried other ear pads, which ones have you tried and liked? I bought the Beyerdynamic Velour Pads (LINK) and while I do think they are more comfortable than the stock, I kinda feel like they "muffled" the sound a bit. I did use the flat, thin piece of black fabric they came with (lower right in pic) to protect/cover the speaker.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #312 of 801
Quote:
Since this seems to be the only thread anyone actually still uses to talk about the M50's, those of you that have tried other ear pads, which ones have you tried and liked? I bought the Beyerdynamic Velour Pads (LINK) and while I do think they are more comfortable than the stock, I kinda feel like they "muffled" the sound a bit. I did use the flat, thin piece of black fabric they came with (lower right in pic) to protect/cover the speaker.

The stock pads make a better seal to your head allowing less sound to get out. You probably hear much less bass with the velour pads than with the stock ones. One thing you could do is change out the inner padding of the velour pads with something more sturdy. Memory foam would even seal better than whats in there now, and would probably be more comfortable. All of the velour pads used by beyerdynamic are different depending on what headphone they're used for. The DT770 has a harder padding on the inside, the DT880 has a softer padding. I havent gotten my hands on a pair of DT990s yet so I dont know what theirs is like, but they're all designed to work with the headphone they come on. Hopefully you bought the DT770 padding, because the M50 and the DT770 are closed cans. Another thing you could do is remove the thin piece of fabric you mentioned completely so that you can see the driver. Anything that is put between your ear and the driver will reduce the clarity of the sound. It causes reflection of noise. However, in an open style phone, having that fabric there will increase the bass. I'm not exactly sure what will happen in a closed phone. Give it a try! 

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #313 of 801
I also replaced the stock pads with the Beyer DT250 velours last week. I have only had an hour or two with the new configuration but my immediate observation was a small reduction in bass quantity and detail.

On the positive side though was a substantial improvement in comfort as I personally struggled with the stock pads.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #314 of 801
They're hard to find, but you could search for a pair of Beyerdynamic gel pads to get the fully closed sound back, and have the comfort as well. They pop up in the classifieds here every now and then, but don't stay there long. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #315 of 801
Wow, well Im glad I posted about it then! Good to know its not just me! I think Ill go back to the stock pads as they really werent THAT bad to me. I really liked how much better they seemed to sound though. Ill just give these pads to my dad. He's got a pair a of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros that are in terrible need of new pads. Hopefully we can make these fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back