ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Dec 23, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #226 of 801
I used the Lumberg KLB 4. Thanks to everyone who's posted about their attempts. I'll try to remember to open mine up again and get some pics of the inside.
I suggest reading through the posts again if you're still not sure what to do for this mod, especially determinedd's post. If it still seems daunting I'd probably consider not attempting it.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #228 of 801

Here is a shot of new solder joints I made to the speaker. Much stronger/secure and slightly thicker wire. Trying to tin the factory wires resulted in a tapestry of obscenities

I hope this helps others.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #230 of 801
anybody got any reviews on the mod from soundprofessionals? It might just be easier with my schedule to get it done like that.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #231 of 801
I got mine done by them, took about a week.  Looks really slick and works with no problems, really makes the headphone more versatile.  My only issue is that the cable they sent was bad, the connector wasn't soldered properly and kept coming off, they made it right though, they gave me a shipping label to ship back the bad cable and they sent me a new one after determining it was their fault the cable was bad.  So in total, took about two weeks to get everything done.
Quote:
anybody got any reviews on the mod from soundprofessionals? It might just be easier with my schedule to get it done like that.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #234 of 801
I just finished my mod, used 24ga speaker wire to substitute for the internal wiring instead of dealing with the coated wires.  I'd post pics, but I keep getting a "problem submitting this to the server" error when clicking on the insert image button...

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #235 of 801
Alright, before I do this mod I want to check that I'm getting this right:
PH-666J-B.jpg

so the tall silver metal is the one I attach with the black wire, the gold metal is the one I attach with a red wire, and the shorter silver metal is the one I attach with green wire?
also, do I need to apply flux to the metals that I'll be soldering or is it okay? Thanks.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #239 of 801
if i get the ones already modded by sound professionals does anyone know if it comes with short cable

or what kind of cable do i buy ive never had to get my own headphone cable and i want to make sure i get the right thing i need like 4 foot one

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #240 of 801
Any cable shoudl be fine.  Depends on if you care about the "quality" of the cable.  I usually use monoprice, and they have a perfect length 3' one that I'm using.  I terminated the end of the OEM cable that I have so I got a long coiled one in case I needed it.  I usually use monoprice for all my cabling needs, since the price is spot on.

If you're looking for some pricier premium cables, then you can probably find them by searching this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back