ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
May 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #136 of 801
Did anybody feel like he was losing some sound quality after the mod? I'm not sure.

I think mine sound better now ;D - Might be the DT 250 earpads as well though.

But what I'd really like to know is how much impact the chosen solder has on the sound quality - i suspect next to none ?

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #141 of 801
Hi all, so i recently attempted this mod and it didnt turn out so well. I think the issue is getting rid of the enamel on the wire. So when I use a lighter to burn off the enamel, when i try to apply solder to it afterwards it doesnt stick. So I also tried it without using the lighter to burn off the enamel, and this time, the solder did stick, but when i plug in an audio source, theres no sound, so i think the problem is the enamel. Im running really short on the wire after so many tries, so im kinda desperate for help right now.
Im using a 25W soldering iron, if that helps.
Thanks.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #142 of 801
Heya,

I used a 30W Iron and used the following procedure:

1) Remove the isolation
2) Remove a bit of the isolation from your first wire
3) Use a lighter to burn off the thread
4) Use a sharp knife to SCRAPE the enamel off - You'll see your success because the copper wire will shine after you scraped the enamel off
5) Apply solder to the wire
6) Apply solder to the connector
7) Hold the wire and the connector together and apply heat - usually you don't need extra solder if you prepared both parts properly

Good luck ;D

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #143 of 801
Quote:
Heya,

I used a 30W Iron and used the following procedure:

1) Remove the isolation
2) Remove a bit of the isolation from your first wire
3) Use a lighter to burn off the thread
4) Use a sharp knife to SCRAPE the enamel off - You'll see your success because the copper wire will shine after you scraped the enamel off
5) Apply solder to the wire
6) Apply solder to the connector
7) Hold the wire and the connector together and apply heat - usually you don't need extra solder if you prepared both parts properly

Good luck ;D

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to clarify wat did you mean in step 3, burning off the thread. Which thread is this?

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #144 of 801
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to clarify wat did you mean in step 3, burning off the thread. Which thread is this?

In the wire, there should be the +/- leads, and some cloth-ish fibers. Instead of risking cutting the wire more, or your fingers, use a lighter to burn off the fibers. Won't harm the wire or covering.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #147 of 801
Hmm there should be. I usually place the wire flattened out on my table and start scraping. You'll even see the scraped off enamel on your knife and on your table. (Along with some soot from the lighter procedure)

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #150 of 801
Try not using a regular lighter but a storm lighter - so one with a blazing flame if you know what i mean. Something like that http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zippo-Multi-Purpose-Butane-Lighter/dp/B000OE07T6/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1340107057&sr=1-6

That flame is gonna be hot enough to a) Burn the thread and b) Burn off the enamel

It will be shiny and copper colour (lighter bronze kind of colour) then you scrape until its shiny.

Maybe your lighter just wasnt hot enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back