ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Apr 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #603 of 801
Can I use a 4 pin mini XLR for this mod or is it too big?

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #604 of 801
Like I said in the DIY questions thread, it's probably going to be too big if you dont want to affect the sound in that cup. You could probably modify an in-line mini xlr connector and mount it to the headphones so it looks like the M50x design, that wouldn't take up any of the inner cup volume. It could look pretty sweet to if you can pull off the mod.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #606 of 801
I wouldn't call that minimal at all, but it does look like a nice jack. If you don't mind having the 3.5mm jack sticking out like that, that would be the best connector to use. I personally like the lower profile outer look.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #608 of 801

Use this chassis and jacks... no need to cut the internal case and very minimal in size.
With locking features , which it good to have

I saw this mod before I bought my chassis, but its to expencive and bulky... So at the end I have gone with my chassis and it was cheap, and the cutting was easy because I've used the soldering iron for that and it came out nice and tight, and didn't changed the sound...
So im happy.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #609 of 801
So what's the best thing to use for this detachable mod?

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #610 of 801

Use this chassis and jacks... no need to cut the internal case and very minimal in size.
With locking features , which it good to have

Nicely done, I did a similar mod using a modified inline locking jack.   Like  yours it moves the bulk of the jack outside of the driver casing to minimize the need to remove a bunch of the material inside.

The part I used was http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Adapters/3-5mm-Adapters/Calrad-Electronics/30-297.xhtml

As I mentioned, I modified the jack by cutting the threaded barrel portion off to create lock ring.
It hard to explain but when I get my comment count up enough for upload privileges, I will post pictures.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #611 of 801
Based on all the information in this thread (appreciate all the contributions), I attempted this mod last night. I used the Parts Express jack, and everything was soldered up and working fine until final assembly. Now I'm not getting any sound at all from the right driver. I did a quick continuity check and all seems to be okay (jack to left driver, jack to red/black "passthrough" to the right driver). I've tried the same source, but multiple AUX cables, with the same result. Can someone help me identify the issue and what to check next? Thanks in advance.

EDIT - False alarm, loose connection into the source.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #613 of 801
I don't want to ruin my girlfriend's M50's, so I'm going to ask before doing any rash things.. How do I take off the rubber thing where the 3.5mm female plug is supposed to go?(the one that makes it detachable.)

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #614 of 801
I don't want to ruin my girlfriend's M50's, so I'm going to ask before doing any rash things.. How do I take off the rubber thing where the 3.5mm female plug is supposed to go?(the one that makes it detachable.)

I think you're talking about the rubber grommet where the cable passes through the cup?

If that is the case, it just pulls out along with the cable after you desolder the wires from the driver.

You won't hurt anything by taking it out, but by that point that you remove it, you'll have already desoldered the cable so you'll have already committed to the job. Commit bro, commit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back